Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Unique yes, but transplanting a diesel in place of the 2.0 turbo?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
The Diesel could be 2.0 Turbo too. :)
The Chevy Cruze used a derivative of the LNF motor. I believe it is the LNF block fitted to be a 2.0L turbo diesel. A coworker owns one and gets just over 50mpg. And IMSMC, Trifecta sells a tune for the 2.0L diesel that promises more torque and hp as well as improved fuel efficiency and less DEF fluid usage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Since they didn't post a picture of the engine bay I am going to guess they are just misinformed about the engine in the car which is most likely stock.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Since they didn't post a picture of the engine bay I am going to guess they are just misinformed about the engine in the car which is most likely stock.
You are probably correct.

My issue for a diesel in a Solstice isn't MPG I think you should get at least 50mpg with that swap. Its the fun factor of driving a sports car. I have driven Euro spec VW TD's and they are fun to drive for a diesel, but they don't rev like a sports car engine. If I am going to live with the limitations of a Kappa from a daily driver standpoint. There has to be more upside to the driving experience then gaining 50% better MPG. Just My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Diesels have a very low redline... That being said, I have riden in the Cruze...and while it may not sound great, or give my Solstice a run, it is quick for a diesel and pretty fun. I would guess wit the tune it gets a lot better. I know they don't sound the greatest (remember the Audi LMP cars?) it would take some getting used too.

And let me put it to you this way...every morning on my way to work, I get passed by some dude that thinks his Prius is a Corvette. WHY would you buy a hybrid to drive it like you stole it? I'm sure the handling isn't all that great....

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
You are probably correct.

I have driven Euro spec VW TD's and they are fun to drive for a diesel, but they don't rev like a sports car engine. If I am going to live with the limitations of a Kappa from a daily driver standpoint. There has to be more upside to the driving experience then gaining 50% better MPG. Just My 2 cents worth.
The 4 cylinder Iron Puke engines in the Fieros also failed to rev like a sports car, falling flat around 4,000, but they built a lot of sports cars using them. Same thing with older sports car like the Austin Healey 100, which had a power peak at 4,000, and the Jensen 541 with a power peak at a heady 4100 rpm.

The fun thing about the TDI engines is the massive torque low down. You forget that you aren't having to run to 6,000 every shift and get quite used to it.

But for rev heads there are always the S2000s.....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Decades ago I had a midsized sedan with a little 2.5L, 5 cylinder turbo Diesel. It moved out nicely and also had a mean exhaust note. With one tank, I could commute to work all week and go down the shore and back each weekend.

I'm not so sure I would want the same engine in my Solstice though. For me, it would be GM's turbine smooth, all aluminum, 24-valve, 7000+ rpm redline, 60 degree, 3.6L V6 gas engine in Cadillac or Pontiac's GXP factory high performance tune. That engine is more than even with BMW standards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts