1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
847 Posts
I havnt so I know this doesn't answer your question very well, I'd check out DDM Works (they have turbo and supercharger packages) as they have very many satisfied customers and their customer service is top notch as well!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I agree with what others say, DDM is the way to go. I buy things from ebay but would never consider anything like this.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Why that's the Rx Racing “Street Demon” Series 485HP Package turbo kit, known for its 485 horsepower of pure awesomeness... stay away from any turbo kits on ebay.
Ya Think? :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
You guys are pretty sarcastic. Here's a guy new to our car community asking a good question. My suggestion - answer IF you know anything about this kit, otherwise - go somewhere else.
On the contrary, I think everyone here is warning off the OP, pointing out that if sounds too good to be true...

Here you have a kit that includes a turbo, piping, intercooler and other stuff for just $645! You have to be aware that the quality of items for that price (far less than the cost of a decent turbo alone) cannot be good.

Plus there's no mention of ECM programming to support this hardware - which is then useless (or dangerous).

Back to the OP, just stay away.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
You guys are pretty sarcastic. Here's a guy new to our car community asking a good question. My suggestion - answer IF you know anything about this kit, otherwise - go somewhere else.
. . . and if you read the fine print, you will find that this comes without any installation instructions. Notice that all the tubing is generic?

To the OP: run away from this one!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I looked them up when I got my 06 NA and found a newbie on a cobalt forum wanting to install one and they worked him over pretty good. If you search you will find thet these are cheap, cheap, cheap. they offer noinstructions and no support. I think the turbo is missing the wastegate and there's no injectors. Plus, a good turbo will run you about $700 alone and here's an entire kit for 650?? the other parts may be ok but I guarantee, you hook this up and that turbo will fall apart and you will be picking pieces out of your engine. Maybe you could buy the kit and trash that turbo and get a good one but you are still way better off saving up and getting one from hahn or DDM.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no argument from me and I think the info is a little more meaningful in recent posts. I actually told him the same in a private post, but suggested he ask publicly to see if anyone had any experience with this kit
Thanks, King-Oka. I want to give a shout out to you for being so helpful the past 10 days. Were it not for you, I would not be coming back to the forum. I don't have the knowledge, after 10 days, compared some of the smart-a** posters, that are so proud of themselves and their snotty answers. There's not a lot any of us newbies can do except ask for advice, and learn by it. Maybe some day, I'll be as smart as you think you are, although I somehow doubt it. King-Oka suggested "ask the forum", which makes sense, so I did. I did Google it first, and there was no definitive posts. I never said I was going to purchase the kit, and I realize it seemed to be "too good to be true". But I wanted to get some feedback. Hopefully, without the sarcasm and humor at my expense. Thanks to everyone who posted a helpful response. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I really wish someone would buy one of these kits and post the results. However, I hope it's not on a solstice. Hell, I'm almost tempted to buy a beater car from the junk yard and throw one of these kits on just to see how it does. being cheaply made, I doubt it would make it up to 6000 engine RPM's more than once. I don't think the store that sells these is aware of how the ECM works either and I doubt trifecta would even bother writing a tune for you if they found out where it came from. Glad you decided to stick around. That's just how forums are sometimes and you really have to look past that as some of the info you get here is invaluable.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I think the 'smart-assed' and 'sarcastic' comments are a bit unfair. There was only one smart comment above, out of 12 posts, and it was in response to someone else - not the OP. So if that puts you off the forum, I hate to see what happens when you really get roasted :)

If you have questions, ask them. If you get the odd stupid or childish answer (and I'm no angel myself in that respect :)) just grow a thick skin and continue.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Why so uptight about a couple comments? If what has been said on this thread disturbs the OP's sensibilities; then it might be time to reevaluate one's perception of good jest.

Sorry if it offends anyone, but I just giggled like a little school girl at "pure awesomeness"

Not sure how many ways one can say what has already been said ten times here. So at a certain point, you have to appreciate the humor just a little bit.

:grouphug:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
GS -- I have as good a sense of humor as the next guy; it's just that I don't get cheap laughs at someone else's expense. I am already in contact with Dave, and hope to have his S/C installed when DDM comes to Lothian, MD, in Sept.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I am already in contact with Dave, and hope to have his S/C installed when DDM comes to Lothian, MD, in Sept.
Do you mean the 2013 Southern Maryland Mod Meet in Lusby? If so, cool! If not, what's happening with DDM in Lothian?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
So you felt that you were personally insulted by "pure awesomeness"?

Hmm, I might have to go back and take a look at all the shots I took over the years for my problem child test mule. :lol:

The S/C that DDM installs it a very nice kit. Personally, I love the sound of a S/C Kappa. And the DDM kit has proven to be pretty darn bullet proof while providing similar performance to the GXP/Redline. A good choice.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for validating my choice. Have a great day!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The OP upset on those response posts? Sorry but there isn't anything there. Look at the grammar. Shabby's post discussed the ebay ad, subsequently poking fun at it (the ad) in the same sentence. There are absolutely no possessive nouns or other grammatical structures in Shabby's post attributing his comments back to the OP. Learn grammar. It's not just grammar; it's clear thinking.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice on grammar. As a retired journalist for some of the largest and most respected metropolitan newspapers in North America, including the Toronto Sun, all members of each staff were required to take a turn on the copy editor's desk. So, I doubt there's much about grammar you could teach me. Otherwise, I would have been fired. I'll keep your offer to mentor me in mind, though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts