Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little bit of a crisis. I've been reading as much as I can in the forums, and I would like to preemptively declare this is NOT a buttress issue.

The top is down on my 2008 GXP. The FOB has never worked. I've always used the button in the glove box. All of a sudden it stopped working last night.

I thought maybe it was a bad relay, replaced it, but nothing.

I went out and bought a cover for now, but obviously this is a short term solution.

I've never had this issue in any car before. I did make a drop off to a thrift store, and did pack the car kind of snuggly. I am wondering if I knocked a cable loose on the passenger side floor area.

If the button just stopped working, is this an easy fix, or do I need to take it to a shop? Do I need a whole new solenoid kit?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,569 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Step 1: test the switch.

Step 2: test the circuit from the switch by bridging or crossing the wires.

Step 3: @TomatoSoup, help please!

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
You have an 08. If it's had a dead battery and been jumped then it may need a re flash. There is a bulletin on the 08s which can have this issue. Then your fob should work

You can also try cleaning the contacts inside the fob and installing a new fob battery

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
From the linked thread:
Opening the Rear Compartment Without Electrical Power

1) Remove the left rear wheel.

2) Remove the left rear wheelhouse liner.

3)Remove the pressure relief valve.

4)Reach into the rear compartment through the opening and locate the child safety release cable and pull handle to unlatch deck lid.

Tip
Handle will be on the inside of carpet. Cable runs between the rear wheelhouse and carpet.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
You dink the engineers would have installed a "manual cable release" inside the car in case both the electronic button on the remote key and inside the glove box don't work !!!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Rusty Bolts - how did you run a cable from the latch to behind the driver's seat so you can open it manually if needed. This concern me now that other owners have had a problem with the electronic release.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
You dink the engineers would have installed a "manual cable release" inside the car in case both the electronic button on the remote key and inside the glove box don't work !!!
Engineers don't install anything - line workers do that. Accountants can over rule engineers. The additional cost would have been turned down due to the rarity with which redundant systems could fail. This is the first time I've ever heard of it, though apparently in '08 there were some issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
347 Posts
Longshot, but check the fuse for the OnStar circuit - they can and do loosen or blow.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
<Originally Posted by Ricky Baum View Post
You dink the engineers would have installed a "manual cable release" inside the car in case both the electronic button on the remote key and inside the glove box don't work !!!>

Engineers don't install anything - line workers do that. Accountants can over rule engineers. The additional cost would have been turned down due to the rarity with which redundant systems could fail. This is the first time I've ever heard of it, though apparently in '08 there were some issues.
More specifically, a release in the cabin means no security in the trunk if your roof is down (and not much more if it's up!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Both my Glove box button and Fob have been giving me an issue too. Battery is Good. It's in my garage for the winter. I'm wondering if it is the Actuator. 06 N/A

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
Start by checking the fob for wear and battery. The fobs are notorious for the contacts wearing out. You can buy a replacement button membrane from ebay for a few bucks and swap it out. I have done all four of ours and they are newer than yours are.

Here is one of many
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replac...ash=item3d0be68b9a:g:oecAAOSwxIRZ-xu1&vxp=mtr

You can also check the fuses - they have been known to develop resistance and operate intermittently. Some times pulling them out and reinserting them will fix this kind of intermittent problem

You can also replace the dash button

https://smile.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1...&sr=1-2&keywords=trunk+release+switch+pontiac

Though its a more challenging task.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Rusty Bolts - how did you run a cable from the latch to behind the driver's seat so you can open it manually if needed. This concern me now that other owners have had a problem with the electronic release.
Easy if it's currently working. Open the trunk and watch the latch as you push the release button. Notice how the release latch moves. Attach a cable (I used picture hanging wire) to the latch and run the other end of the cable through the seat belt slot behind the driver's seat. Conceal the cable under the seat belt.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Rusty - Are you talking about the "child safety latch"
No. Not the child safety latch. Here's a photo with the trunk open. The cable that appears to be loose is the one I installed. I ran it through the seat belt slot in the panel behind the driver's seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
button fix is easy-peasy. I found this same thread when I had the same problem. The only slightly difficult part is getting the button / switch out. after that, just spray with an electronics cleaner (or whatever you have similar - I used carb cleaner!) and pop it back in. 15 minute job including PITA removal of switch.

·
Registered
82 Posts
button fix is easy-peasy. I found this same thread when I had the same problem. The only slightly difficult part is getting the button / switch out. after that, just spray with an electronics cleaner (or whatever you have similar - I used carb cleaner!) and pop it back in. 15 minute job including PITA removal of switch.
Which Button are you referring to?

(both my FOB and my glove box button are being difficult)

Thanks- Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts