Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am sure a lot of you will be happy to hear that none of the auctions that I know of are going through. Not to say that you are negative wishers...but I know of your disappointment of those that are attempting to make a premium off of the car.

I have emailed over 8 different auctions and not a one, including mine have gone through. Most report that the high bidder claims that they did not understand the auction. Others have just not responded. I even did two second chance offers. I think there is a curse on those attempting to sell.

I am not sure if any of the forum members have a role in it or not. Anyways, what is the worse thing that can happen, getting stuck with an awesome car. I can think of a lot worse things than that.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to update everyone on what I found out. Also to ask those out there who have sold or bid on the auctions whether or not their transaction went through.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I think that buying the "option" on the car makes a lot of people VERY nervous. Once you have the car in hand, I think you would have a much easier time of selling it if that's what you're looking to do. Also, as the first cars start hitting the streets, you'll see a lot more people trying to find them and realizing that dealers have a waitlist of six months to a year in most cases.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your right... then the dealers are going to be the ones making a premium off of them. I know not all dealers but I am sure a good amount.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I still say....

Sooolstice said:
your right... then the dealers are going to be the ones making a premium off of them. I know not all dealers but I am sure a good amount.

I know i rant about this alot, but I would be ashamed selling a car for more than the Manufacturer's pricing .... Shoot, I feel bad about selling an XLR for Sticker.... Certain cars are worth the sticker, but who pays sticker for anything else? A Corvette? A GTO? A Cavalier? I will knock around $10,000 off the price of a Denali XL, after rebates of course... (note to moderators: this is not an offer for sale as much as it is an example of the new car market).....(unless you wanna buy one).....(call me)...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I said that for you cadillaccricket

I like you, I wish there were more dealers out there like you. This is just all about human nature. When you were a kid and you had a candy bar and your brother wanted it, you could make him do much more than it was worth due to supply and demand. Just another interpretation of Value. I have paid much more for things than they were worth because they were that valuable to me. Keep up the good work cadillac...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Value...

You are correct, value is a funny thing. Without getting into basics about suppy and demand, I want to point out that Lutz signed Vin #0001 and so did Lori Queen. This adds appeal, unique-ness, collectability....

Vin # 00001 will go up in percieved value. Vinny, knowing this fact, must be stressed out thinking about driving it. However, it's still just a car! Vinny, drive it like you rented it!

Look around...do you see any 1989 Miata's on the Auction Block? If so, what do they go for? Not $100,000. The Miata has become Mazda's "halo" car. (that's a quote from a recent car rag). Even if the Solstice becomes a "halo" car for Pontiac, it won't appreciate that much.

There is another thread from "Millionaire" that said "Vinny made a bad decision not auctioning off the car or selling it for $100K". I tend to agree. Think of the appreciation he would have on a house, or stocks, etc. ? He could have bought a Corvette, spiced it up a bit, been very unique and had $50K left to invest.

All that being said...I don't think I could sell my Sol (Soul?!)...it is just too beautiful and cool! You don't say that about Pontiac anymore, do you?...Of course I will be waiting for my Sol for a few more months.

RadRiv...Bring me my Velite Please! Velite! Velite! Velite!

·
Registered
288 Posts
RADRIV said:
Look around...do you see any 1989 Miata's on the Auction Block? If so, what do they go for? Not $100,000. The Miata has become Mazda's "halo" car. (that's a quote from a recent car rag). Even if the Solstice becomes a "halo" car for Pontiac, it won't appreciate that much.
If someone was to offer the very first Miata ever produced, with Vin #1 and in mint condition with little to no miles on it, it would absolutely sell for a fortune.

Flagg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh no, we already have one thread dedicated to this debate (1st 1k value), let's not start another one.

Regarding ebay, I think you'll have no poblem selling it for a small profit (recoup taxes and everything + $1k or $1,500 once you have the car).

However, If you can't keep it you might just consider selling it to someone on this forum. You might lose $1k in potential profit but you'd make someone's day and could probably arrange to be able to drive it for a few weeks before you have to part with it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
ebay no big surprise

You are buying the right to buy something that the person selling doesn't even possess. Well does the phrase "buying a pig in a poke" come to mind, I think so.

We would all love our cars NOW, we would all love to have a 1st 1k car, especially anyone who got screwed out of one, like the zero zippers or the Canadians. But would we pay $6000-$7000 for the privilege. NO, because we want the car to drive it not to have to keep it in concourse condition so that it ever regains the premium we would have paid.

I sincerely hope that anyone who bought a 1st 1k car soley with the idea of selling it for a quick profit on ebay, gets stuck with lots of ebay charges and no buyers.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
You are buying the right to buy something that the person selling doesn't even possess. Well does the phrase "buying a pig in a poke" come to mind, I think so.

We would all love our cars NOW, we would all love to have a 1st 1k car, especially anyone who got screwed out of one, like the zero zippers or the Canadians. But would we pay $6000-$7000 for the privilege. NO, because we want the car to drive it not to have to keep it in concourse condition so that it ever regains the premium we would have paid.

I sincerely hope that anyone who bought a 1st 1k car soley with the idea of selling it for a quick profit on ebay, gets stuck with lots of ebay charges and no buyers.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Flagg said:
If someone was to offer the very first Miata ever produced, with Vin #1 and in mint condition with little to no miles on it, it would absolutely sell for a fortune.

Flagg
No, it wouldn't ... mass producted cars from the 80's and 90's don't carry the nostalgia of those from the 60's and early 70's. They had ground breaking designs and inspiration of the era. There were few other cars like them on the road at time.

The '89 Miata, the Reatta were a little ahead of their time, but hardly groundbreaking (Mazda mimiced the MG - copy cat) and GM didn't invent the category (two seat rag top low cost roadster).

An 89 Vin 001 Miata (or any 80's car average, every day car) would never sell for more than MSRP - or even near the MSRP - today, regardless of build number and condition.

Need proof? Watch the E-bay and Autp-Trader listings closely for a few months at a time. I have seen Buy It Now Prices on excellent condition Reattas for $10,000 .... then several weeks or months later ... same car ... never sold. Peoples mind-set are what drives the appreciation of cars. There is not the perception out there that an average american car is worth spending that type of money on.

Real estate appreciates, automobiles (unless exotic or true classics) do not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:

Last I checked, there about six "rights to purchase" ranging from $2k to $6k and not one bid on any of them. I love the SOL and can't wait to get a GXP, but the reality is that it is a mass produced GM car. Not a limited production, unique offering exclusive to Pontiac (re: SKY).

Remember the new T-Bird? No other Ford shared it's resemblence in body style (even though it shared under-pinnings of the LS) and it had a limited production run of 25K per year. When they were not even selling 20K a year in year 2, even Ford conceded (in year 3) that to preserve the value of those autos purchased by folks at or around $40K (FOR A FORD!), they would discontinue the model ..... in their last year, you could have picked one up for $8k below sticker w/o haggling here in metro-Atlanta ....

Keep your cool :cool: fellow Solsters, in a year, there will be enough of them to go around for everyone and GM will incrementally add more option packages and variations to keep it fresh and new each year ... like they always do.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sooolstice said:
I like you, I wish there were more dealers out there like you. This is just all about human nature. When you were a kid and you had a candy bar and your brother wanted it, you could make him do much more than it was worth due to supply and demand. Just another interpretation of Value. I have paid much more for things than they were worth because they were that valuable to me. Keep up the good work cadillac...
Really sorry to see you were unable to get a buyer for the car before delivery. What now? Do you go forward and buy the car, or just let the dealer take it when it arrives? Given the location of your dealership they are not going to get a lot of drive by lookers, so offering to showcase the car there is not the way to go either.

I know dealers are eager to get these cars in the "hot markets". Given you location being so far removed from them will almost make you take delivery before anybody is willing to spend the money for it. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My dealer is selling EVERY solstice for sticker

When I was in checking on a VIN number we got to talking about pricing on his other orders. EVERY Solstice sold will be sold at sticker...he doesn't want to gain a reputation for upcharging a "value" car like the solstice. Yes, they charged a premium for cars like the anniversary T/As and such...but those are higher end cars. He called another area dealer and they are charging 5k over...even for a 1st 1000 car! There are good dealers still out there...nice to know sometimes huh? I think the days of super premium pricing on new cars is fading quickly. People are finally seeing what happens when you pay 5k over sticker for a car. You are immediately upside down. If you are financing the car...you better have whatever you are paying over sticker in CASH...most banks will loan up to window sticker...no more. Some banks are different...but many are becoming a little more careful on their auto loans.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
garytucker said:
When I was in checking on a VIN number we got to talking about pricing on his other orders. EVERY Solstice sold will be sold at sticker...he doesn't want to gain a reputation for upcharging a "value" car like the solstice. Yes, they charged a premium for cars like the anniversary T/As and such...but those are higher end cars. He called another area dealer and they are charging 5k over...even for a 1st 1000 car! There are good dealers still out there...nice to know sometimes huh? I think the days of super premium pricing on new cars is fading quickly. People are finally seeing what happens when you pay 5k over sticker for a car. You are immediately upside down. If you are financing the car...you better have whatever you are paying over sticker in CASH...most banks will loan up to window sticker...no more. Some banks are different...but many are becoming a little more careful on their auto loans.
i thought part of the EOP program was GM stated the car could only be sold for MSRP...did I see that somewhere..I cant beleive a dealer would add a 5k markup to an EOP car.....I hope the person who was fortunate enough to get one doesnt pay that incentive price...I would tell the dealer to shove it....even though I so love this car and cant wait to get mine...I have a signed sales contract for MSRP!!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
garytucker said:
... If you are financing the car...you better have whatever you are paying over sticker in CASH...most banks will loan up to window sticker...no more. Some banks are different...but many are becoming a little more careful on their auto loans.
Excellent point! And now is the right time to be thinking about financing options.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
ebay 1000

I think that many of the people looking at the Solstice are going to wait for the 2007. I think all of us can agree it has to be a better car in 2007.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts