Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the Solstice book and really enjoyed the background. But really missed not hearing the end of the story or 'rest' of the story. The coupe for one, the final production numbers, the Opel story and I'm sure there is more. Anyone heard if the author plans a follow up cd or anything?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
It's definitely a very special history. It's a car that definitely deserved a book to be written about it. I'm proud to have been a part of that history, and proud of my mother's dedication to the quality of the product. They really stepped up and did a great job with it.

side note: what production # is your coupe?

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
I tried to interest the author in a web based subscription supplement but couldn't get anywhere. I'm not sure he thought there was enough potential revenue to warrant the job. I'd love to see a complete story too!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Agreed, historically Gary Witzenburg only seems to be interested or focuses on development & release of certain models. This is the only follow-up video information as it relates to the coupe I have ever discovered.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
wspohn : I tried to interest the author in a web based subscription supplement but couldn't get anywhere. I'm not sure he thought there was enough potential revenue to warrant the job. I'd love to see a complete story too!
Find out how much he wants and, if its reasonable, pre-sell it.

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
Has anyone considered pointing him at an Ebook format like on Amazon where he can self publish? Alternatively, we could concievably draft an update and share it with him and he could then Epublish it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Saw your note on the production number. How does on determine the number from the VIN?

Thanks.

Sam
If it's part of the contiguous production run (VIN ends in 9Y00xxxx), it's the last 4 digits of the VIN

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,496 Posts
Saw your note on the production number. How does on determine the number from the VIN?

Thanks.

Sam
Thanks for asking, Sam. The production number cannot be determined by the VIN#.

Many people think the VIN# is assigned as the car starts down the production line, and increases by 1 for each car as it starts down the line. This may have been the case in the far distant past, but in these days of computerized production and just-in-time inventory, it certainly is no longer the case.

Take the spread sheet version of the coupe data base, and sort it by build date and then look at the column detailing the last 8 of the VIN# and you will see just how much variation there is in the VINs as they are completed.

. :willy:

·
Registered
6,975 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Alternatively, we could concievably draft an update and share it with him and he could then Epublish it.
For some reason, all I can think of is the title of Bill Lawrence's book "Then Some Other Stuff Happened."

·
5,600 Posts
Pointless. Niche car out of production with dead Division.

Some of us would be interested see a book that included the coupes, the phantom 2010s and the SCCA victories, but the market is microscopic.

As a market, we are Quarks and Neutrinos.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well now I feel really, really, small and insignificant. I guess I'll go bury my head in the sand and cry.

Wait.....

Did you hear that. Listen real careful.....that's the sound of my bubble bursting. Thanks jimbo old buddy.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
What has to be remembered is GW formerly worked for GM press department, that relationship has helped him in establishing a good working relationship with them, it also hinders him (according to his critics) because if GM feels he published something negative it could also impact his future relationship and access to them.

Still, I think it's possible to do a rest of story addendum without getting caught up in the drama. My main concern w/GM is that they cling onto the belief that one sports car is all that's needed. That's like Henry Ford saying you can have a model T in any color as long as it's black. I'm sure the Mazda Miata is very happy with that continued mentality.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jimbo may be tactless, but he is correct. Supply vs. Demand. On the other hand, some Saturday in the dead of winter with my friend Google and I bet we could create our own update with not much effort. Just a thought.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am lucky to own one of the Opel GT books they used to help sell the car over in Greece.

I received it as a thank you for sending a GT owner the black plastic elbow that connects between the turbo and airbox. The nipple on his had broken.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts