Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Looks nice, but the hood scoop is too far back for EFI, OK for carb set up. Although the round front end might push the good air over the scoop. Cowl induction might be a more functional design.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
The weakness of all modern cars is that they are grossly overweight. These guys seem to have remedied that, but they don't say how they managed to lose 600 lbs.

The Hot Rod conversion managed it by stripping everything out AND going to lightweight body panels.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
I thought I'd save this as an attachment so it doesn't get lost in the future:

For reference purposes, also saved the original Pitbull drawings (red).

It looks like the new coupe drawing is the same as the original drawings, with the coupe top photoshopped (?) in to the originals.

EDIT: I'll be darned, the original Pitbull announcement is still on Mallett's web pages:
http://www.mallettcars.com/news-4-30-07-pitbull.htm

Attachments

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
The weakness of all modern cars is that they are grossly overweight. These guys seem to have remedied that, but they don't say how they managed to lose 600 lbs.

The Hot Rod conversion managed it by stripping everything out AND going to lightweight body panels.
Replacement of at least rear quarter panels, door skins, front fenders, hood with fiberglass or thermoformed plastic panels. Replacement of front and rear bumper covers with same. (Hmm, with the added weight of the engine, we're still at approximately same weight as start point . . . ).

I guess we'll have to wait to see what he brings to SEMA. I find it hard to believe 600 pounds lost.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
The LSx will easily make up for any weight disadvantage. Besides - modern cars push way more HP than the old ones. Look at a 60's vette for weight vs power and clearly modern designs dominate.
No doubt what you say is true, but the article in the first post mentions a weight of 2600 lbs. for the finished project. Where is he cutting that much weight out of a Solstice Coupe?

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
No doubt what you say is true, but the article in the first post mentions a weight of 2600 lbs. for the finished project. Where is he cutting that much weight out of a Solstice Coupe?

That's only cutting 400 lbs then... but still.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Love the exhaust outlets on this... hope someone makes it an aftermarket part.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Adding the 454 LS7 V8 is going to add another 200 lbs to the car, so now we have to cut 600 lbs off the car to get to the 2600 pound target?
Yup, that's what I referred to. That's a lot of weight to remove! If it is true, it should mean that we could have a 2400 lb GXP with the LNF in it, somehow. Maybe they are indulging in some promotional hyperbole?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Yup, that's what I referred to. That's a lot of weight to remove! If it is true, it should mean that we could have a 2400 lb GXP with the LNF in it, somehow. Maybe they are indulging in some promotional hyperbole?
Promotional hyperbole did cross my mind, but what do I know, I'm a computer geek who has been classically trained as a lawyer. ;)

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Promotional hyperbole did cross my mind, but what do I know, I'm a computer geek who has been classically trained as a lawyer. ;)
Which is no doubt why both of our BS sensors started tingling!

OMG - now we've gotten into legalspeak. Why can't Lawyers just call Bull****?
We do - when we are dead sure that we are right. Lesser breeds feel free to cry BS whenever it pleases them without regard for truth. :devil:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I thought I'd save this as an attachment so it doesn't get lost in the future:

For reference purposes, also saved the original Pitbull drawings (red).

It looks like the new coupe drawing is the same as the original drawings, with the coupe top photoshopped (?) in to the originals.

EDIT: I'll be darned, the original Pitbull announcement is still on Mallett's web pages:
Welcome to Mallett Cars, Ltd.
Seeing is believing! I too remember this "original concept" a few years ago, which they ALSO never actually made. Sure the drawings look great, but it doesn't mean anything if they don't actually make it into reality. My point is the body kit shown in the original drawing was NEVER produced, so why would I get excited about the same concept done to the coupe unless they really plan on following through this time. The only thing they ever did was the V8 engine work and transmission upgrades, suspension, etc.... NO Pitbull Body Kit available to buy was ever created for the public. I think these guys just like making pretty drawings and never follow through completely.:brentil:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts