Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new here. I have a base 2006 model and would like to add power door locks, trunk release and maybe even power windows. Can anybody give me advice. I hope I can still use the existing door panels if I use an aftermarket kit. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've chosen to stay with manual operation myself. And after reading the troubles electrical doors can be, I have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
well, I never lock my doors but I love having electric windows. however, the doors auto lock in gear and unlock when the key is off but if you have a passenger, they have to manually unlock their door to get out if the car is still running. You can buy a keyless entry with remotes for about $30 that comes with actuators and it's a real easy install. a lot of the C3 vette guys use them.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Best bet is to find a donor car in a boneyard or maybe you can find someone in the forum classifieds who is looking for a swap as far as the doors go that way you know everything will work I'm leary of aftermarket stuff just got done removing an aftermarket alarm/powerdoor lock system in my conversion van it was a pain from day one. The misses has a Crown Vic with the P71 option ( it was a federal marshals car ) and all my upgrades are with done with parts that are from civilian cars the nice thing is that everything fits.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Some of what you list is easy, some is more challenging.

I did a similar conversion to my F 150 which came without remote keyless entry, no electronic locks at all, and crank windows.

I found that you can take just about any car to an after market place similar to Car Toys and they will install remote keyless entry in any car that has electric locks for less than $200 including the install, all hardware and a pair of fobs. If you do not have lock poppers, they can add them as well but the price goes up a bit. Closer to $400 I would guess depending on where you go.

On my truck, I bought door inners on ebay that came with the window control switches. I then installed the factory window regulators for electric windows and just wired up the switches to switched 12V power and they work fine. The only issue is that there is no microprocessor detecting the window fully up or fully closed condition and turning off the power to the motor. I have to make sure that when the windows are fully up or fully down that I stop pushing the control button else it will blow a fuse. But I have had this setup in operation for 2 years without any problems.

It is possible that the car is already configured for electric windows but its not activated in the BCM. Maybe TS knows?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts