Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I took my Solstice to my Local performance shop since I couldnt stand the stock exhaust note.

They removed the stock muffler which by the way is the biggest muffler I have ever seen and replaced it with a Dynomax High Flow Unit (Dynomax Super Turbo). At first I was worried about it burping due to the low back pressure but the new setup actually cleared up the burping that you can hear on the stock setup and it sounds incredible with no resonance. :cool:

http://jcgdinvestment.com/exhaust.wmv

. It really sounds incredible for a 4 banger.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Muffler........

Please send the video with audio. I'm sure there are many others on the forum that are very interested! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Any noticable performance improvement?

How come many of the magazines have applauded the exhaust note, yet changing the exhaust seems so popular. I guess I'll find out first hand when my car arrives, but....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Stock Exhaust Sounds Horrible IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
KYSol said:
How come many of the magazines have applauded the exhaust note, yet changing the exhaust seems so popular. I guess I'll find out first hand when my car arrives, but....
My guess is that for a 4-cylinder it sounds great, but for V8 people it sounds too weak. Just a guess.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think it definitely sounds better!!

How much did this cost ya??

- bspate -

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
stang said:
My guess is that for a 4-cylinder it sounds great, but for V8 people it sounds too weak. Just a guess.
Good observation. I can't wait to hear for myself.

·
Registered
854 Posts
KYSol said:
You should be able to have any muffler shop do it for $150.

Sure beats $500 to beef up the sound some people are charging. Sure warranties and dynos are great and all, but for $150 I would have to replace the damn thing 3 times! Dynos, who cares, do I really want to know I just dropped $500 for 10hp (if I'm lucky).

I'll be going the $150 route myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You hit it on the Head, mine was $151 with tax and anyhows once you get underneath the car and look at the stock exhaust from the factory you are going to see that a cat back will net you almost nothing since the factory pipe diameter is 2.5 inches and it has no drastic and actually very nice bends straight back from the cat to the rear. I had originally intended to have the performance shop do a complete cat back but everything was so nice I just switched the muffler and the pipe from the rear transaxle back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
so the STOCK exhaust only consists of a CAT and huge Muffler? No 2nd muffler (aka Resonator)?

If so, just swap out that Cat for a straight pipe and a nice Magnaflow straight thorugh muffler... should sound excellent!

btw, are there 2 O2 sensors (one in the front and on at the rear of the CAT) or only 1?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
KYSol said:
I think it's personal taste. I have a good friend who has swaped out his exhaust system in every thing he has ever owned, which since I've known him has included the original early 1990's Formula Firehawk, a few other later Firehawks, a Bonneville, an Escalade, a Ram pickup, and now the "Viper" Pickup, what ever it's called. Who swaps out their exhaust in a Bonneville for better sound? Only people who are very picky about the exhaust note I'm affraid.

In this car, and in my opinion, the stock system sounds a lot better than the usual Pontiac gurgle. It's about the best sounding stock muffler I've heard in a 4 banger. It's just a matter of taste, but to say the stock muffler sounds aweful is over exagerating things just a bit.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The stock exhaust is a great system to begin with, just swap for a less restrictive muffler and you'll get the same gains as a full $500 cat back system.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Rocksman said:
Well I took my Solstice to my Local performance shop since I couldnt stand the stock exhaust note.

They removed the stock muffler which by the way is the biggest muffler I have ever seen and replaced it with a Dynomax High Flow Unit (Dynomax Super Turbo). At first I was worried about it burping due to the low back pressure but the new setup actually cleared up the burping that you can hear on the stock setup and it sounds incredible with no resonance. :cool:

http://jcgdinvestment.com/exhaust.wmv

. It really sounds incredible for a 4 banger.
Maybe it sounds better in person. But that clip makes it sounds like a chainsaw or an industrial hairdryer.

It doesn't sounds as deep as the stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
GM already has a performance exhaust system as well as other items such as molded mud flaps, bras, and special floor mats to name a few. The exhaust has a throaty sound, is made of stainless steel, and is covered under the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty if it is installed at the time of sale. Otherwise the warranty is 12 months or 12,000 miles. :cool:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think it sounds great. It sounds like a powerful four cylinder now, instead of a V8 wannabe, IMHO. I always thought the clips of the stock exhaust sounded too much like it was trying to sound like a v8 instead of making it just sound good, so it ended up being overly "burbly" for the smooth running ecotec.

:thumbs: nice mod!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts