• Custom Aftermarket all the way

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to have to get the $195 option US8. I don't want to carry a big think of CD's when I can carry a visor filled with mp3 cds. Also, which radio has the 'input' that you can install an mp3 player. If it is the base one, screw it I'll buy an ipod.

Does anyone know the configuration of the stereo? 2 2 -ways, 2 mids, and 2 tweeters?

I just don't want to put a pioneer( i know, i know, but I love them and have never had a problem) in because it will take away from the looks.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm thinking the base stereo will be fine for me to start out. I might look into aftermarket upgrades down the road. The only thing I think I'll really care about is possibly adding a sub to give a little better bass response. I don't think it has 6x9s or even 5x7s so I doubt there will be much low end to speak of.

All the stereo comes with the aux. input, even the base, so you should be able to use in Ipod or something with it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
all have aux and im gonna get the middle radio with monsoon (if you ask me the sub is a must and itll be hard to fit an aftermarket sub.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do we have a photo or an explanation of where the sub is? Its got to be taking up space somewhere. Is it tube style or something?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Behind the passenger seat where you would other wise have a small storage area. Not sure on the type. There are pics on here if you search.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
iPod, middle radio + XM + Monsoon (iPod to OEM remote CD changer port adapter)

I went for the second tier radio (compatibility with XM and steering wheel controls) and the Monsoon option. I didn't want the 6 disk in dash, because I'm hoping that the second tier radio (MP3 capable) will have the OEM external CD changer interface. If it does, then my iPod will be skipping tunes from the steering wheel using one of the adapters that interface with the standard OEM remote CD changer interfaces.

We'll see.

Here's a couple of links to articles mentioning CD port iPod interfaces:

link to PC Mag.com article... (2005-01-10) New iPod Car Stereo Options from Alpine, Clarion, Monster, Pioneer and More

link to Cruthfield CES show article... (2005-02-01) Plug In and Drive!: An insider's look at the future of mobile A/V

If we've got a CD changer port on the back of the OEM unit, being able to skip a song you don't really want to hear right now, or skip back and repeat a song you want to hear again with your thumb on the steering wheel will be very nice indeed. :cool:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
I went for the second tier radio (compatibility with XM and steering wheel controls) and the Monsoon option. I didn't want the 6 disk in dash, because I'm hoping that the second tier radio (MP3 capable) will have the OEM external CD changer interface. If it does, then my ipod will be skipping tunes from the steering wheel using one of the adapters that interface with the standard OEM remote CD changer interfaces.

We'll see.
my choice also.............which ipod adaptors have the interface for OEM remote CD changers?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
silversolstice said:
I think I am going to have to get the $195 option US8. I don't want to carry a big think of CD's when I can carry a visor filled with mp3 cds. Also, which radio has the 'input' that you can install an mp3 player. If it is the base one, screw it I'll buy an ipod.
That's what I did too. 1st upgrade ($195) + the Monsoon speakers. That gives you 1 MP3 CD + the iPod aux port.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I opted to go with the base stereo as there was no need for me to drive the price up any higher, it's already gonna be an ordeal paying for this thing. Anyway, since the base stereo comes with the jack on the front I'm gonna have my PSP plugged in and listen off of that more than half the time, so...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, I'm the only guy to vote custom aftermarket. I dunno, I'm just finnicky when it comes to sound reproduction. When a car is not in motion, I want to sound like I'm sitting in a room all alone with the performer singing live in front of me. I had a dodge neon that I invested about 3K in equipment, even though my buddies had louder systems, they were envious of how clean the sound flowed from my system. It was a pain in the ass though shopping for all the speakers/amps/equalizer/wires/blah blah blah, to make sure all of it came together sounding good. With the Sol's small interior though, I'm thinking of maybe doing a 3 way component setup and using a smaller 5 channel amp. probably hide the amp behind the driver seat, enlarge the holes in the doors for an 8" sub unit, install kick panel mid range 6", and tweeters on the sail panels. Or maybe just a single smaller sub that could be installed under the passenger seat, and a component system to take up the stock speaker spots. I know for sure I will not put any extra equipment into the trunk... being its already limited as is.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dori-san said:
no need for me to drive the price up any higher, it's already gonna be an ordeal paying for this thing.
amen to that brother. I went to Bankrate.com and found that I should only have a car payment of 355 a month. Now I am either going to have to put down 5k or have a nice long loan. I think A/c and floor mats will do it for me. Maybe they will give me a 'pure' for 18k if no one else wants them ;)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Jus2shy said:
Wow, I'm the only guy to vote custom aftermarket. I dunno, I'm just finnicky when it comes to sound reproduction. When a car is not in motion, I want to sound like I'm sitting in a room all alone with the performer singing live in front of me. I had a dodge neon that I invested about 3K in equipment, even though my buddies had louder systems, they were envious of how clean the sound flowed from my system. It was a pain in the ass though shopping for all the speakers/amps/equalizer/wires/blah blah blah, to make sure all of it came together sounding good. With the Sol's small interior though, I'm thinking of maybe doing a 3 way component setup and using a smaller 5 channel amp. probably hide the amp behind the driver seat, enlarge the holes in the doors for an 8" sub unit, install kick panel mid range 6", and tweeters on the sail panels. Or maybe just a single smaller sub that could be installed under the passenger seat, and a component system to take up the stock speaker spots. I know for sure I will not put any extra equipment into the trunk... being its already limited as is.
the problem is with the top down....all that will be wasted as you will not have the enclosed sound environment..having had a convertible before and putting over 1500 into it for sound....it was utlimately a waste...since with the top down.....1. you have to crank it....and 2. the police look at you funny when you have it that loud at the stop sign....3. you lose the crisp clean sound you are seeking..... the roadster is all about that open road feeling!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
QUESTION:

What is behind the driver's seat? Is there a compartment where we could add a second sub? I listen to some stuff that has very active bass and/or double bass, and that is murder on one sub.

Monsoon speakers are quite nice. If I am going upgrade any components, it will be the amp.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Nothing beats a custom aftermarket system. :thumbs:
Oh I agree...an aftermarket system will always beat an OEM...except perhaps in the high end auto arena.....my point is that the superb quality concert hall sound is wasted in top down car.....thats all

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
A huge investment in premium sound equipment - in a convertible - seems like a bit of a waste. I'm more interested being able to take my entire collection with me with a minimum of hassle. Looks like an iPod (or some other digital music player) will be the only mod I'm looking for.

Quantity over Quality :willy: sounds wrong, don't it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
PAO said:
Oh I agree...an aftermarket system will always beat an OEM...except perhaps in the high end auto arena.....my point is that the superb quality concert hall sound is wasted in top down car.....thats all
I used to think the same way until I got my new A6, it is one of the best factory systems I have heard. I usually don't like the Bose car systems but this one is awesome.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts