Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on eBay and see two more of our beloved's are on the auction block. While I understand the desire to make money...what I just realized is this....Since the original person that ordered the vehicle has to be the purchaser...when they sell them on eBay...technically those people are paying $1000's over sticker AND they will not be the original owner. It will show on Carfax as a 2nd owner and a large portion of the collectible value will be decreased. Im not sure that these people have grasped this fact yet! Rather humorous to me! :devil:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
And if in a state that charges sales tax the government gets tax $$$ twice. Once for original sale and then again for the resale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Don't think it really matters to these buyers if they are the first owner or 15th owner. If the car is brand new with little to no miles on it, who cares? They are going to one of the first people around with a hot new roadster, turning heads when they drive by. To some, that is the most important thing, getting it first. Most of us are looking at this as a long term vehicle while others this is just something that is hot for the moment and will be quick to sell once the next hot thing comes out.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
There are always people who are willing to pay way over sticker price to be one of the first owners, and to enjoy the exclusivity that comes with it. They just want the car right away and cannot wait. I cannot really blame individuals for taking advantage of that. If someone wants to give away their money, you might as well be there with your hand out! :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
940 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There are always people who are willing to pay way over sticker price to be one of the first owners, and to enjoy the exclusivity that comes with it. They just want the car right away and cannot wait. I cannot really blame individuals for taking advantage of that. If someone wants to give away their money, you might as well be there with your hand out! :lol:
:agree: I think these people are willing to pay a premium to have the “First 1000” not to be one of the first to have the car but to have 1 of 1000 of many thousands. Just think, if this car is as successful as, say the Corvette. What would it be worth today to have such a collectable? It is a gamble because nobody knows if the car will ever have a collector’s value.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
PubliusE said:
:agree: I think these people are willing to pay a premium to have the “First 1000” not to be one of the first to have the car but to have 1 of 1000 of many thousands. Just think, if this car is as successful as, say the Corvette. What would it be worth today to have such a collectable? It is a gamble because nobody knows if the car will ever have a collector’s value.
There is virtually no way the Solstice will be worth so much money as a collectable to make it worth spending thousands over sticker to buy it. Anyone who is willing to spend extra on it because they think a 1 of 1000 car will be a good investment is not much of an investor. People may buy it, store it, pamper it, etc thinking it will, but it won't. If someone wants to spend that much just to have it, well, it's their money. But there is no practical reason to do it other than to be the first bigshot to have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
I think a vehicle will only be worth what someone is willing to pay. The Miata is probabaly one of the biggest selling roadsters on the road and I doubt the first 1000 are worth that much because there are so many of them. When I ordered the Solstice I actually thought about trying to get one of the first 1000 dute to the fact of future value, but that could be 20-30 years from now. What made me decide to wait is I know that I will keep this car for quite sometime and I would rather wait for it to be built later based that hopefully if there are any bugs to be worked out that those issues would be gone by the time that they build mine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
940 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There is virtually no way the Solstice will be worth so much money as a collectable to make it worth spending thousands over sticker to buy it. Anyone who is willing to spend extra on it because they think a 1 of 1000 car will be a good investment is not much of an investor. People may buy it, store it, pamper it, etc thinking it will, but it won't. If someone wants to spend that much just to have it, well, it's their money. But there is no practical reason to do it other than to be the first bigshot to have one.
I did not say their reasoning was sound, just that I believe that is the reason why they would pay more than $5K (current ebay) price to have one of the first 1000 cars. I do not believe that it is so they can drive the car a few days or weeks before the general public begins to receive their cars.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
940 Posts
spyderone said:
I think a vehicle will only be worth what someone is willing to pay. The Miata is probabaly one of the biggest selling roadsters on the road and I doubt the first 1000 are worth that much because there are so many of them. When I ordered the Solstice I actually thought about trying to get one of the first 1000 dute to the fact of future value, but that could be 20-30 years from now. What made me decide to wait is I know that I will keep this car for quite sometime and I would rather wait for it to be built later based that hopefully if there are any bugs to be worked out that those issues would be gone by the time that they build mine.
But did Mazda do anything to distinguish the first 1000 cars from the general production model? If not, the first car off the line is no different from number 50,000 off the line. It is the idea of having something limited is what leads to the collector mentality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
PubliusE said:
But did Mazda do anything to distinguish the first 1000 cars from the general production model? If not, the first car off the line is no different from number 50,000 off the line. It is the idea of having something limited is what leads to the collector mentality.
Mazda built at least one "SE/LE" a year. Most were in 1000-1500 quantities and had build numbers plaques. A few draw maybe a small premium over normal value. Most are looked at as just another Miata.

Mine is 1 of only 59 like it. (Laser Blue with cloth interior) There were only 151 total in Laser Blue. Collector value=0

While in a few years a die-hard Solstice fan may be willing to pay a few extra bucks for a F1K, don't expect people to be knocking down your door.

If a collector wanted one he would have it on order and store it with Zero miles. Other than that it will just be another used Solstice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
PubliusE said:
I do not believe that it is so they can drive the car a few days or weeks before the general public begins to receive their cars.
Yea, they will. When the 1990 Miata came out a quite a few people paid $18,000-$19,000 for a $13,000 MSRP car, just to be the first on the block.

People were crazy enough to pay it and dealers happily accepted their money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I think some of you guys are overestimating the value of being "one of the 1000" aside from maybe a couple badges, a year down the road, wont' make a bit of difference to subsequent buyers, remember they're building 20k of these a year, very little upside from a collectible standpoint. Tho I'm sure some guys are going to buy them and stick them in storage for a few years and the "make a killing" just don't see it happening.
Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I want to own about the 15,000th Solstice. They ought to have the minor issues worked out by then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
PubliusE said:
I do not believe that it is so they can drive the car a few days or weeks before the general public begins to receive their cars.
I dunno ... I still think most people doing it are looking to get it sooner. For those looking to buy one of those cars, it's practically impossible to find anything left in the first allocation. Yes ... I know you see stories here on occasion, but it's definitely not the norm. I tried calling local dealers out of curiosity a while back and of about a dozen dealers, none had any first allocation left and a couple said they had sold the whole first year and weren't even taking any more orders. So that extra money is going to get them a car many months faster than they would be able to from a dealer. Nobody really knows the order that the others are going to come out, so buying one of the first 1000 is one of the only ways to know you'll really be getting it soon. Also, these things are going to be produced slowly, so even after several months, there will probably only be a handful of them on the road in any given city. So it will still be pretty exclusive for a while.

One member here also mentioned his friend was bidding on one of the eBay cars and wanted to buy it to get a jump on having the Mallett conversion done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
How much is a 53 Corvette worth?

Fformula88 said:
There is virtually no way the Solstice will be worth so much money as a collectable to make it worth spending thousands over sticker to buy it. Anyone who is willing to spend extra on it because they think a 1 of 1000 car will be a good investment is not much of an investor. People may buy it, store it, pamper it, etc thinking it will, but it won't. If someone wants to spend that much just to have it, well, it's their money. But there is no practical reason to do it other than to be the first bigshot to have one.
You may have to hang onto if for 50 years!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top