Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Pssst.... a straight 6 engine sounds waaay better than a V6. You can put a Toyota 2JZ in there and they top out over 1000 bhp with suitable turbos and tuning. (y)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Pssst.... a straight 6 engine sounds waaay better than a V6. You can put a Toyota 2JZ in there and they top out over 1000 bhp with suitable turbos and tuning. (y)
Remember me saying LS's are unobtainium in Brazil? Well, a 2JZ is even rarer :(

I never really understood the logic that supposedly makes V6's sound worse compared to inline 6es. i mean, don't they all havê onde explosion every 120 degrees of crank movement?

While researching about the HFV6 I found a video on YouTube of a guy's cammed V6 2015-ish Camaro. Sounded good. I think this LY7 I got a hold of could sound nice with cams and custom headers.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Good question. Not sure why the straight 6 usually sounds better, just that they do (understand if you don't have them readily available down there).

·
Super Moderator
8,327 Posts
Many (but not all) V6s are made by cutting two cylinders off of a V8, creating an odd-fire engine, in which the firing happens at 105 and 135 degrees. L6s are always even-fire, with the firing intervals at 120 degrees.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Many (but not all) V6s are made by cutting two cylinders off of a V8, creating an odd-fire engine, in which the firing happens at 105 and 135 degrees. L6s are always even-fire, with the firing intervals at 120 degrees.
We got the Buick 3800 (the split crank journal one, so even-firing) for a few years with the Chevrolet Omega (a rebadges Aussie Holden Commodore). My mom had that car. What a smooth ride, and plenty powerful (for its time and local standards).

Good question. Not sure why the straight 6 usually sounds better, just that they do (uderstand if you don't have them donw there readily available).

Now, that is among the best sounding engines ever. Of any cylinder count! I can say a BMW inline 6 would be easier to source here than a 2JZ. Aren't they a little long for the Kappa cars?

On the other hand. Another one of the best sounding 6-cylinder engines ever (a good contender for the mythical BMW S54) is the Alfa Romeo Busso V6.

Getting back on topic... seems that if I decide to swap a LY7 into a Solstice, I will have to blaze the trail. But first I have to buy the car! Hope I get so lucky as to close the deal soon.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Inline 6's are also much smoother, they are naturally balanced like a V or opposed 12 cylinder (that are basicly two I-6's bolted together) I don't remember many odd fire V-6 engines after the mid 1970's. When Buick converted the odd fire 231 to even fire by modifying the crank shaft to have 6 different rod journals. I think even the GM 4.3 and the chrysler 3.9 V-6's that were modified 350 or 318 V8's were even fire engines.

But I do remember hearing Kenne Bell run a very modified Buick odd fire V6 in a Buick Skyhawk. I will never forget the sound of that V6 screaming at high rpm thru the open headers. Scarred me for Life!

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
157 Posts
I´ll repost what I wrote on an introcution thread on another kappa-related forum:

Thank you all for the welcoming messages and advice.
I have started the V6 journey by buying a donor Chevrolet Omega (our domestic name for the Autralian made Holden Commodore / Chevy SS / Ponty GTO/G8) with the 3.6 HFV6.

Still havenˋt bought the Solstice as 1)donor was cheaper! :D and 2) still trying to find a manual, 2.4 as they are several grand less expensive.

Donor car is in reasonable state of (dis)repair, the engine runs smooth as butter, the 5L50E is also perfect, with only 35k miles it should all be pristine. Suspension, diff, and other ¨running gear¨¨are so-so as the car was stored its whole life (since 2005) near a very salty beach. I drove it for a couple days, put about 120 miles in it and then the starter (which was already half seized and struggling real hard to crank) gave up the ghost with a puff of smoke.

If I end up not finding a Solstice within my price range for now, worst case I end up with a junker Omega to beat around and it will be driven with gusto as it is such a comfortable vehicle and the 3.6 is really a hero moving that 2000kg (it is armored!) barge, it certainly has some get up &go as they say.

cheers

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
839 Posts
most of the sound differance between v6&l6 is the header configuration. if you have ever heard a 180 degree header for a v8 you will understand. all the cylinder are correctly paired.witch kinda hard to do with a std v6 or v8 set of headers I dont see a issue of you have the $$ putting the new turbo 4 in they are also in the cadalacks but the hp is bumped way up. as for the v6 I personaly think it would fit right in. but Im not sure about the trans if your staying manual, probably a addaptor or change to a better trans.. if going auto then get the trans thats with the v6.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey there, quick update. I've finally bought my Sols. It's a red '06 2.4 manual. I preferred this to the silver '08 GXP auto since, with less than 8.000 miles, it might just be about the lowest mileage of all 64 Solstices in Brazil. Seller gave in to my haggling which also helped.

Car is pristine, clean underside and engine bay, original tyres (old rubber!) and drives like a charm. So new and untouched it almost makes me feel like I shouldn't desecrate it by doing the swap! 😁

In the meantime, the donor car that had the HFV6, and which I bought from the other side of Brazil, burned up during the transport. Literally. Carrier truck caught fire and destroyed the poor thing along with all the other cars. So, back to the search for a new donor!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Update. Donor car bought. Got it from an auction, whole car for less than what you pay for the engine alone from junkyards over here (it's a usual situation). It's an '09 Chevrolet Captiva with the LY7 engine.

By eye gauge, judging from the photos below, seems the LY7 V6 is actually not only shorter lengthwise than the Ecotec, but maybe also a little bit less tall. The Captiva came to Brazil with both options for the V6 (LY7 3.6, later on LF1 3.0) and the 2.4 Ecotec (LE8, then LE9 - they are similar to the Solstice's LE5). Here are a couple pics where one can kinda compare the LY7 to the LE9 (LY7 without plastic cover; LE9 with the cover).

LY7

LE9

Only seems to me the Captiva's intake plenum is too tall, I might try to fit a Camaro one which looks to be shorter. Other than that. I'll also probably have to source a longitudinal LY7's oil pan and pickup. Whaddaya think. Will it fit? 😁

EDIT: This time the donor vehicle is much nearer to where I leave. Hopefully the truck it'll be on won't catch fire this time around! 🤣

·
Registered
157 Posts
Donor car arrived. It's in such a good condition that both me and the wife are feeling it's in too good a state and would be a waste to part it out...

She suggested I try to fit the Volvo B8444S (4.4l V8 315hp) that I bouthg couple years ago into the solstice.
This is a 60 degree angle V8 which might be too tall for the Sols. But I'm researching this option now. This engine is architecturally similar to a Northstar (32-valve DOHC VVT V8). Since there were E67 ECM Northstar cars, we might be able to get the Volvo to run using an E67 ECU, which would keep factory-like compatibility with the car.

Why not an LS? Again, they are ridiculously expensive around here and the Volvo V8 was quite a good deal and also has some good money into it already (forged rods, Wiseco pistons).

So, back to the drawing board for what might be the 1st DOHC V8 Solstice.... If the engine will fit.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
She suggested I try to fit the Volvo B8444S (4.4l V8 315hp) that I bouthg couple years ago into the solstice.
Hmm - so only about 100 bhp down from a mildly tuned LNF engine?

Might be a lot easier (and cheaper) to use an LNF and add a bigger turbo and a tune.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hmm - so only about 100 bhp down from a mildly tuned LNF engine?

Might be a lot easier (and cheaper) to use an LNF and add a bigger turbo and a tune.
The heart wants what the heart wants... 😁

Some other reasons:

1) My fealty lies with the Normally Aspirated creed.
2) I don't want more than 300-ish hp for this car.
3) The LNF is also not available here (actually the LTG is, from the Equinox, but really expensive)
4) I could turbo or supercharge my LE5 for the same power goal. But then, not NA and no big engine sound.
5) Did I mention big engine sound ? (here in BR a 3.6 LY7 could already be considered a big engine> In fact anything with more than 6 cyliders or more than 2.5 liters).

Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm sorry for being headstrong on this whole V6/V8 matter. In case somebody know where would be the best place to get started with E67 ECM tuning, I'll gladly accept suggestions.
I'm imagining getting a Northstar 4.6L (from a '08 SRX for example, as it is already RWD) E67 from ebay and then using HP Tuners to make it work with my BCM. In fact I'dd like to start by trying to make the engine run on the stand with the E67. So that would require some tuning knowledge and maybe an extra BCM.

Again, if anybody has suggestions of where to look for information, I appreciate your input. Thanks

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
If sound is all you're looking for, it might be more beneficial to just get an LDK and tune it, then see how the Audi and/or BMW outside and inside sound systems work to make their 4 and 6cyl engines sound like big V8s. This has become very common practice over here in the US. It'll probably all cost about the same in the long after you find a tuner to make the BCM work. Trust me, BCM tuners aren't cheap....a coworker used to tune BCM and ECM, and he was $100/hr and could spend 40 hours tuning/wiring a BCM to make it work properly...and as he stated, "that was 10 years ago."

·
Super Moderator
16,748 Posts
One of the biggest challeyof doing an engine swap in a Solsthas been making the new ECM work with the BCM. There are a lot of complex interfaces there. When DDM started doing conversions they had a lot of trouble getting the software to work. They ended up going to Len Kelly who did LS1edit and modified it for Mallet to support LS conversions. Wade Linger used the same solution for his conversions. DDM bought a license from Ken as did Dave of PAW. I **** seen several experienced timers give up on going what you want to do.
Know that you may be embarking on a years LOL adventure. Even with mature LS1edit it took over a year to get my converted car running

41 - 56 of 56 Posts