Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many miatas with V8 conversions using 5.0's to 4.6's used in the mustangs. Anyone think the engine bay will be big enough for a chevy V8? Or if not that the 5.0's or the 4.6's?

I was really thinking about this because if I ever bought a solstice it would be a future mod when I felt I didn't like the I-4 anymore.

·
Registered
527 Posts
As far as a conversion, there is nothing stopping it from happening. People have been stuffing v8's into much smaller, shorter, and skinnier engine bays for a long time. If an MGB or TR7 can get a small block chevy in there, there's nothing stopping the Kappa from fitting one in.

There always seems to be something that has to modified, but anybody who has pulled off a motorswap in a different vehicle shouldn't have any problem doing it in a Kappa.

My personal plans so far is to get a Sky and put a turbocharged 3800 into it. Still have to wait until these things are on the lots before I finalize my plans. If it seems too tight for my plans, I'll go even skinnier and put in the biggest DOHC 60 degree v6 instead. Those will fit into virtually anything...

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A guy from ls1.com posted in here months ago that they plan on looking into conversion kits.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I am sure you will see some V8's in these cars. I wonder how an LS2 would affect the balance of the car? :devil: ;)
that was my thought. an ls2 with aftermarket mods... man, ill have to have 285/30/18's as my back tires just to grip the road. i wonder what the quarter miile would be with 400-500hp on a 2900lb car? its gotta be, what 8 seconds?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read alot about the V8 Miatas awhile back. Most of them have used 5.0's in them. They run deep 12's pretty consistently. The thing is, you'd never be able to take a V8 solstice to the track, you'd need a cage and I really don't want to do that. So I guess I would never get any timeslips lol. A solstice with an LS1, most likely a beefier tranny, could possibly run deep 11's. You get awesome sound out of it too, and a complete sleeper.

·
Registered
139 Posts
the problem is that it will be traction limited by the skinny tires. the 60' times will be much too high for such low quarter mile times, but the trap speed will be very high i think.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would do one ;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
godspeed06 said:
the problem is that it will be traction limited by the skinny tires. the 60' times will be much too high for such low quarter mile times, but the trap speed will be very high i think.
If we're talking dream cars, what's to keep you from tubbing the rear, pro street style? Like the Viper in this months "Hot Rod" with the front wheels a foot off the ground!

·
Registered
81 Posts
DreamerDave said:
If we're talking dream cars, what's to keep you from tubbing the rear, pro street style? Like the Viper in this months "Hot Rod" with the front wheels a foot off the ground!
I doubt the Solstice rear diff would handle 500HP with big slicks on the back. Well, at least not long-term.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
bigd said:
I doubt the Solstice rear diff would handle 500HP with big slicks on the back. Well, at least not long-term.
I think we've pretty much determined the rear differential/LSD is the same as what's on the CTS-V, which we know currently pushes 400+ HP.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Now how much work would it take to put the entire C6 Drive Train and Suspenssion under their? ;) A rear mounted 6speed tranny sounds like it would keep the magical 50-50%
Yah a V8 Sky would be a Killer Kappa for sure :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
all I know is this my solstice I got coming in of the first 1000 will be locked in my garage I got two others on standby order and will be using one for straight mod testing the other will be a daily driver. So if you have an application that you think might work let me know in a private message and I will get back to you when the cars arrive.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Deafdose said:
all I know is this my solstice I got coming in of the first 1000 will be locked in my garage I got two others on standby order and will be using one for straight mod testing the other will be a daily driver. So if you have an application that you think might work let me know in a private message and I will get back to you when the cars arrive.
What?

Let me get this right.
You got an "EOP" that will get 0 miles in the next 50years?
You got a "daily driver" that will get you around?
And a third Solstice that you want to put an LS2 in?

MAN that is COOL.
Let me sugest that you get the 3.6L V6 Caddy CTS and a 6speed transplanted in the "daily driver" just so the V8 Sol wont be so "hard to handle" ;)
Wish I had three Kappa's to play with :cool:

·
Registered
446 Posts
The dry weight of the ecotec is 293 lbs. The dry weight on the LS1 is 386 lbs. This means the LS1 conversion is going to be lighter than the supercharged ecotec. The LS2 is coming out with variable displacement in 2006, so you wouldn't even be giving up much mileage.

Not sure what the difference in weight is between the aisin tranny and the t56 6-speed is, but it will be at the center of mass anyway so it really doesn't matter, as far as handling goes. Could probably restore the balance to near stock by relocating the battery to the trunk (assuming the top will still fit!). Speaking of weight distribution, the LS1 has a lower center of gravity than the ecotec - another plus for the v8 instead of the supercharger.

Lots of parts to spec - from motor mounts to a radiator that can handle the necessary cooling; but dang, what a sleeper! Would definitely want a nice quiet exhaust system on it, but with electric cutouts so I could let the other guy know he'd been had just before I show him my taillights...

·
Registered
391 Posts

How does this look :lol:

Sorry it did not work :(

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
stonebreaker said:
The dry weight of the ecotec is 293 lbs. The dry weight on the LS1 is 386 lbs. This means the LS1 conversion is going to be lighter than the supercharged ecotec. The LS2 is coming out with variable displacement in 2006, so you wouldn't even be giving up much mileage.
Actually the Supercharged ECOTEC weighs only ~30 lbs more then the base ECOTEC, GM officially says it weighs about 330 lbs wet. Making it about 70 lbs lighter then a wet LS2.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts