Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
folks,

Would it be possible to put a V8 in a Solstice for $10 K or less? I want a V8 but I don't want to spend $ 20 to 30 K.

If I have to spend 20-30........I'll just buy a Corvette.

Dan Furr

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I doubt it. The v8 would be at least $5k or so leaving you with only $5 k for install. Even if the v8 were free install for $10k would be hard to find.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I dream of this too. I'd like to find a totalled vette and use the tranny and possibly the rearend. Guess you could use it's ecm too and it's the little things that add up to a lot. just buying a nice LS motor is just the start.

Rob,

did you use a Vette tranny and rearend and do you have the original ECM or did you have to get an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is a question I've been thinking. I have a base 06 for the past year but in the past 8 months just sole my bike and my Mustang, so I'm flush with cash and have lost all my go-fast toys.

I've considered a GXP, they seem to be around $16-18K. A local guy has a Mallet that I would like to take a look at, he was asking $29K OBO.

The diff between the base and GXP would not be too bad, the V8 would be nice but another 10K?

·
Premium Member
18,482 Posts
Doctor Dave (DDM Works) has been working on a kit for V8 self install. It may be possible to get the key parts you need from him.

Basically, if you start with your own LS engine, low mileage used would be a good low cost place to start, and had the critical parts and some fairly simple instructions it could be done.

The cheapest way is to use the current drivetrain in a similar manner to how Werks has done some in the past.

1) LS engine
2) adapter to existing transmission
3) wiring harnes / ECM single board computer in some cases
4) tune software ($550)
5) motor mounts
6) radiator (used? reman?)
7) hoses and adapters to mate alternater, power steering etc to car.

The absolute cheapest way to make it work and not be a science project is to work with one of the Daves and buy the key parts and probably the tune from them then do the work yourself, supply your own engine and reuse the existing transmission, drive line and differential.

The issue is that the stock transmission is good for 400HP and if you are over that you could experience reliability issues.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just my 2cents. If your going to get a V8, get a LS3, preferably with with a hot cam. You get a lot more bang for the buck with a LNF, but, than there's that cool V8 sound. My stock transmission and clutch have 39k, 25k after my build and are still going strong. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Better yet, buy the parts and host a V8 build party, That's something I'd want to attend and sure several others would want to also by helping and learning.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Hot Rod Magazine ran a series of articles starting in June of 09 "Building The Worlds Baddest Pontiac Solistice" which gave you an idea of what you needed to do to accomplish this swap the great part was that it included a list of parts and the GM part numbers this was an LS7 swap. My mechanic friend Scott who helped me with my turbo installation is going to do one in the near future for a customer and found the info to be very helpful he will use an LS3 and components out of a wrecked car .The tab for this will be in the 15000.00 price range depending on the parts used.I plan on giving him a hand as my next move could also be a swap in a salvage car .I think if you don't get too crazy and do most of the work yourself you might be in the 10 grand price range once again depending on the parts .

·
Registered
398 Posts
All KAPA's have the same transmission, it is a "truck" transmission.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.