Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you with a V8 swap, what was the outcome in the handling performance? Is it now a straight line car or does it still perform as it did before. Better? Worse? Has anyone actually raced one? Any data at all? Thx.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
If you do not beef up the suspension it will not perform as good as when it had the 4 cylinder.
That is more palpable in a 2.4 original NA car.
Must if not all the V8 conversions have the suspension worked on.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
I put BC coil overs on before the conversion. I am not a trained race driver, but for my purposes it feels different but handling is still great.

In compArison with the wife's Sky the Punisher feels a lot more " serious"

Plus having 460 ft pounds on hands is very nice.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Good thread! I'd like to hear from more actual V8 owners, and not bench racers. No discredit to you, LV (and SolNut), as you make a very valid point. My fear (and possibly Hattrick's) is that all of the work I've done to the suspension already will be marginalized by the swap when it comes time to do it. I'll probably do some Hot Rod Magazine-style weight loss measures up front if/when I do my swap to try and offset the added weight from the V8 (i.e. fiberglass hood, strategic swiss-cheesing of parts where the structure won't be weakened by doing so...)

Incidentally, Hattrick, I shared pics of your fender flares over on the kappa performance board the other day. Gave you credit for them. Hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No prob 2KWK4U , I looked at the new corvette last weekend and first thing I noticed was how far aft the engine was from the front wheels. On the solstice it looks like ths ls3 would be right over the front wheels. even though it's been said it only increases the weight by 100lbs. I don't know what the new weight distribution would be. right now my car handles amazing. I would hate to turn it into a drag racer. any input appreciated. thx

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a new corvette as well as a solstice. While I'm sure it is neat to have a v8 in a solstice, if you want a v8 and you have the money, buy the vette, in my opinion it will be much better because the car is built to handle the abuse.

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
While the Vette us nice, they are a dime a dozen and many of the owners are a giant pain in the ass. Frankly if you gave me a Vette, I would sell it and use the money for something fun

The kappa chasis is designed for 600 hp. The fact that an LS drops in with only minor changes is evidence of its ability to handle the power well.

There are threads from several years ago which discuss the weight impacts, and the measured weight per wheel demonstrates that the distribution is not an issue.

While I understand the love of the Vette, and the commitment by many to highly tuned 400+ hp 4s, the facts as I see them are to get safely and reliably to 450+ WHP you have to highly modify the 2.0 and will end up with an unreliable, finiky short lived motor, a transmission and rear axels that will grenade at some point in time.

All the above lead me to my personal decision to go the Ls route

I drive a GMPP tuned "stock" redline and my LS car frequently and am astonished at the differences. The feel, the power on tap, the SOUND are just totally different.

The handling differences are more a result of the stiffer suspension on the Ls car and the reduces ride height from the coil overs.

As I say I don't race the car but on occasion do drive "quickly". And the handling is all I could ask for.

As to the weight distribution one factor some tend to neglect is the 6 speed is massive compared to the stock 5 speed and it hangs off the back of the motor well aft.

If you have the money and want a grin machine that will be unique and. Constant source of fun, why not?

·
Registered
459 Posts
As long as you have great performance tires on the V8 Solstice, it will handle as well as the 4 banger version, only much, much faster. It does not feel nose heavy, in fact I detect no difference between the V8 and the supercharged 2.4 I had before the conversion. The amount of power available on my car is unbelievable and it is instantaneous when you touch the throttle. You have to drive one to see what we are talking about. I have owned many corvettes in the past and I would not trade the V8 Sol for one.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
My comment was do to knowing what YamatR3 did to his suspension when he add it the V8 to his 2.4 NA.
Rob just so you know the new 2014 Stingray will do 12 flat from the factory.
It also outperforms the old Z06 2013 on the track.
The person to ask for a comparison is Yamatr3 since he has both.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I had a ddm supercharger, then did the mallett conversion..
Handling is very similar....just have to be a little more attentive accelerating out of turns....
Da.....

·
Premium Member
17,528 Posts
My comment was do to knowing what YamatR3 did to his suspension when he add it the V8 to his 2.4 NA.
Rob just so you know the new 2014 Stingray will do 12 flat from the factory.
It also outperforms the old Z06 2013 on the track.
The person to ask for a comparison is Yamatr3 since he has both.
Thanks for the information

Most of us are not racers nor do we drag race our cars. We drive them on the street and have a good time.

Doing 12 flat is not a plus for me.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
The new 2014 is not just a 1/4 mile car is actually a better track car, specially if you have the Z51 suspension couple with the Magnetic ride option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts