Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

V8 Kappa's For Sale

88K views 360 replies 60 participants last post by  ChopTop 
#1 ·
Posted to Craigslist 4/26/14

LS7 650 horsepower pontiac solstice (No pics)

LS7 650 horsepower pontiac solstice - $40000 (Memphis, Michigan)

2007 Pontiac solstice. Ls7 power 650 hp. Tremec 6 speed, Cadillac ctsv rear end. All gauges a/c cruise control work. Averaged 21mpg cruising at 80 mph on the way to Frankenmuth, MI autofest. Parked on the street for the block party and had more interest than the 63 split window next to me. This car is top notch and is not a cobbled together piece. I put 5000 miles on it this summer and had no problems. This car is awesome. I need to sell to fund a new business venture. Cost to duplicate engine is 20+k, please no low ballers open to trades plus cash. Especially diesel trucks. 810-305-00fournine. No dealers/brokers. Car must be driven to be believed. If you drive you will buy. Call text or email.

#4 · (Edited)
The biggest problem with the price is that is to close to a use Z06.
You most want to have the Solstice look otherwise it's not a good buy at that price.
These V8 Kappas usually end up selling for very low 30's or high 20's.
By the way a new 2014 Stingray base use and there are now a few, can be had for high 40's low 50's.
This car will out perform any of those old Z06's and this KAPPA.
Not on the 1/4 since it can only get to a flat 12, but on the road course or twisties there will be no contest.

Here is just one example of many Z06 available.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...kId=20053&sf1Dir=DESC&aff=national&listType=1

#6 ·
#7 ·
2009 Pontiac Solstice offered for auction | Hemmings Motor News (pic)

Description: 2009, LS3, Auto, Cool (Silver), Split spoke wheels, 2,212 Miles.
* SELLING AT ALEX LYON & SON AUCTIONEERS AUCTION SATURDAY, JULY 12TH @ 9:30 AM Address: 1831 Williams Highway Williamstown, WV 26187. W/ NEW CORVETTE LS3 CRATE ENGINE, LS3 Corvette engine, 430hp, New Heavy Duty GM automatic transmission, New Heavy Duty Cadiallac differential, 2,212 miles. All components have been adjusted for LS3 engine. 800lbs Less than Corvette.

#8 ·
W/ NEW CORVETTE LS3 CRATE ENGINE, LS3 Corvette engine, 430hp, New Heavy Duty GM automatic transmission, New Heavy Duty Cadiallac differential, 2,212 miles. All components have been adjusted for LS3 engine. 800lbs Less than Corvette.
800lbs Less than Corvette?? Hah! If you believe that, I have this fine Cypress-treed farmland in Florida...

#9 ·
Yeah. New base C7 is 3,252 lbs and has 455hp. That Solstice with the V8 is right around 3,000 lbs with 450hp. It'd be a close matchup, but I'd be willing to bet that the Corvette's better drag coef. and transmission will still edge the Solstice. Now, if you twin turbo the Solstice on top of that, it's a different story. :devil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WARlqAH5q-o

#15 ·
The LS hot cam comes out of the crate at 480+. Mine is upwards of 500 at sea level

But most owners of cars like these being discussed do not regularly race them and frankly do not care what they do on the track. They are toys. Very expensive toys. Not an investment.

If you want to have a car like every investment banker and spend time with the wine and cheese crowd, corvettes are great.

:grouphug:

#17 · (Edited)
#12 ·
That dude is smoking some mighty good ganja...

#13 ·
Again, early Mallett with stock 5-speed tranny, likely no a/c (interesting, it says no traction control, as mine works -- is this a non-GXP thing?).

Basically, a stripper version if that is possible on a 59K build - no 6-speed, no coilovers, no brake upgrade, no a/c, no upgraded wheels/tires. Still, would be a fun driver if no issues and had for 30 or less.

#18 · (Edited)
New one. Brain Thompson built.
2007, 7.0/428 LSV8, 6-spd Manual, AC/CC, SSBC Brakes, Cool (Silver), Custom Cowl Hood, 22,375 Miles.

Pontiac Solstice GT Convertible 2 Door | eBay

7/14/14, Reserve not meet, High Bid: $20,100

Another one: Mallet #5 (Same seller as #41 Mallett in post 16)

2007, LS2, OEM Manual 5-SPD, Luc Pro Clutch, 2 Core Aluminum radiator, AC/CC, Sly (Grey), 1,816 Miles.

7/14/14, Reserve not meet ($36K), Relisted as of 7/14/14.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Sol...33d105ebb&item=151348338363&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
7/14/14, Reserve not meet, High Bid: $26,400.

#20 ·
So I guess what this points out is that the market for these cars is almost nonexistent or could it be the fact that Mallet went belly up and people are leery about buying one of his builds ? I think Rob hit the nail on the head with his comment that these are "toys" plain and simple just like any heavily modified car they appeal to a certain group sort of like pro street cars.

#21 ·
:agree::agree::agree:

Cars are never an investment.

Almost everything loses value when it leaves the store for the first time.

The more uniqueness to an end item, generally the smaller the set of people who would pay to own it becomes.

#22 ·
Cars are an investment, but long term and only when done properly. Like Rob said, as so as you drive off the lot you lose 30% (unless it's an M3). Typical depreciation on a Cadillac/BMW/Benz/Audi is 50-60% in 1.5yr.

For 'collectible' cars, seems that the trend is they depreciate and bottom out in value over 20-25 years. Then, they start climbing. Finally, when they're like hen's teeth and nostalgia kicks in, they skyrocket.

IF you're going to invest, these are my general rules (if possible):

1) 2 door. 4 doors will never meet the collectibility of a 2 door. People want sporty

2) RWD. fwd was never legendary and never will be. AWD is an alternative if it was the only option (See: Syclone/Typhoon)

3) RARE. A plain Jane 65 Mustang will not be worth anything in your lifetime. Should have driven it 1 million miles instead of letting it waste away in a garage for 50 years just so you could lose money with inflation-adjusted costs. Now, the first Mustang ever produced, GT500, Daytona Coupe, ...

4) powerful. Rare doesn't mean **** if it doesn't have power. See: Aztec

5) manual Because real men drive sticks, and collectors know this even if they can't.

6) convertible This one I don't care about and would never buy a vert. But, if you have a choice between two 1966 prototype RS/SS/Z28/427 Camaros and one is a vert, take the vert. Collectors always want the vert.

When you hit niche markets, it's a crapshoot. In the meantime, buy a house.

#25 ·
Cars are an investment, but long term and only when done properly.
I like your list - quite sensible.

People forget to figure in the true cost of ownership when calculating their 'profit' on a sale. The present value of the original purchase price, the carrying costs if they borrowed it or didn't use it to retire other existing debt, all the maintenance they had to do. Really hard to actually make more on a car than you would have made had you just stuck the same money in a conservative financial vehicle, and really, really easy to lose money. Just ask my buddy that let a kid test drive his Corvette hoping for a sale. What he got was a bill for $35K and a kid that wasn't worth chasing, and an uncooperative insurance company.

I am presently looking at selling some of my cars, and on only one will I make any 'profit', in the simplistic sense that term is usually intended.

I just sold one car for triple what I paid for it in the early 1980s. I figure that I only lost about double what I originally paid for it, when you factor in a body refurbishment and the new engine I put in it, but I'll bet that many people would be trumpeting their business savvy and claiming a real profit!

#24 ·
hmmmm I think I would put my money on the na engine setup that Tony has for sale for $3250 complete less head even if you hired out whole install and the new head I think you would be on the street for under $5500 and 440 whp would be good match for the corvettes for sure and you would be about 350 lbs under

#30 ·
Lmao! ^ I thought about a C7 but if I would be getting one it would have to be the Z06 simply because out of the box I can just take it to the track. The Stingray handles great as well but even the Zip package still is a tier lower than what the Z06 has.

#33 ·
08, Saturn SKY, Mallett (#02) LS2, Auto, Black, 42,150 Miles.

Other Makes Mallett Saturn Sky Roadster Convertable | eBay

HAVE ALL RECEIPTS AND INVOICES: Car price was $28,115 and Malletts conversion was $35,999.52 for a total of $64,114.52
Options include:
GM 400 HP LS2 V8 ENGINE
MALLETT CUSTOM MODIFIED SHOCKS
CORSA STAINLESS STEEL MUFFLERS
CUSTOM 2 CORE DUAL ALUMINUM RADIATOR
ALUMINIZED CARBON FIBER COIL COVERS
3:73 CUSTOM DIFFERENTIAL WITH CUSTOM DRIVESHAFT
SSBC CUSTOM BIG BRAKE UPGRADE WITH MALLETT ENGRAVED CALIPERS
MALLETT CUSTOM BADGING AND SEAT EMBROIDERY
MALLETT CUSTOM NUMBER PLAQUE
SKY REDLINE REAR FACIA
HAS A NICE CUSTOM WINDSCREEN INSTALLED

#35 ·
Posted on Craigslist 10/25/14, 2006 Pontiac Solstice SS V8! - $30000, Apex, NC

2006 Pontiac Solstice SS V8! (pics)

2006 pontiac Solstice originally a 2.4 manual base car, 09 Pontiac G8 GT V8 6.0 LS76 6sp automatic 6L80E, 3.72 LS pos rear diff, ZO6 suspension kit, custom dual exhaust with dyno tune mufflers, work done by R&J Mechanical Custom Welding at Apex NC, computer,dyno, programming performed by Carolina Auto Masters in Durham NC, red and black interior was done by AAA interiors in Apex.

No tire kickers and no that's cool man... Money talks.. I have a huge albumn of detailed parts, and pictures of the build.. Plus I even modified the trunk a few more cubic feet of space too...

NO TRADES! I'm selling because I'm going out of the country and I can't take it with me... Believe me I want too but the tariff tax is crazy$$$$... So my hard work is your gain

#36 ·
When is someone going to make up a nice plastic (maybe carbon fibre) cover that snaps over the Ecotec cam covers and looks like an LS top end. Laugh if you will, but I can just about guarantee they'd sell them! I'll take a nice LS7.....

#38 ·
2006, Mallett (#28), LS2, 400HP, Agressive (Red) w/silver stripes, 14,960 Miles, $34,988

LUK GOLD PRO CLUTCH MALLETT CUSTOM SHOCKS AND SPRINGS, UP GRADED LARGE BIG RED BRAKES, CORSA STAINLESS STEEL MUFFLERS, CUSTOM MALLETT 2 CORE RADIATOR, POLYURETHANE RACE BUSHINGS, BLACK CARBON FIBER COIL COVERS, MALLETT BODY GRAPHICS, MALLETT CUSTOM NUMER PLATE AND MORE

Pontiac Solstice Mallett 400 HP Convertible | eBay

#41 ·
Again, this is an example of an early Mallett with "only" a 400 hp LS2 and a stock 5-speed tranny, stock wheels, etc. You'd have to spend quite a bit more to have an apples to apples comparison to the Werks and DDM offerings discussed here. Also, the Malletts have the same overheating issues as the others, if not worse. And, of course, Mallet went bankrupt (twice), so no help with anything from him. But if I were looking, I'd buy one where most Malletts sell these days - low to mid 20's, do the simple cooling tweaks and replace the tranny when it fails.