Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

201 - 220 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
I also found the low miles interesting, but the car is equipped like a track day car, Big brakes, adjustable shocks with the extra fluid tanks so they don't heat up and loose performance, Tremec 6-speed trans, Bigger wheels & stickier tires, and an extra 50 HP from the LS2. But no roll bar or Hard top so it would not be allowed out on a track at speed.

I think the car sold for about what it is worth, given the equipment & miles. And as for the Single to duel outlet exhaust the seller explained it in the action, delivered with the 2nd outlet capped (like my car) but the 2nd outlet was delivered with the car, when the duel exhaust rear fascia became available when they started making GXP's, the owner purchased a new duel outlet fascia and installed it and the provided 2nd tip from Mallet.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
https://www.texasbestusedmotorcycles.com/vehicles/2740/2007-pontiac-solstice-mallett-v-8
#005, 2,400 Miles
You are looking at an amazing 2007 Pontiac Solstice with a 400HP LS2 Mallett Conversion. The work was done on a new 2007 Solstice MSRP $25,414 plus an additional $23,850 for the conversion. The work includes GM LS2 400 hp Engine, Air Conditioning, LS2 Clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel. The shocks are custom mallett modified, Corsa stainless steel mufflers, Custom aluminum radiator, polyurethane rear a-arm bushings and rear differential mount, carbon fiber coil covers, Mallett body graphics, seat embroidery, custom exhaust, dyno tune, leather seats bottom and back. This car has a folder with documentation and has only been driven 2401 miles. The interior is as new, clean and never smoked in. The paint is excellent with no flaws, the body is as new. the top folds up and down with ease. This is a very special high performance car, to drive it is to love it, exciting acceleration only to be driven by a skilled driver. Check out the pictures and watch the video, buy with confidence, this is the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Fh9pmsAKZKw

·
Registered
629 Posts
Interesting, I really do not understand the low miles on some of these cars, this one is almost a clone to my car, no price listed, make offer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I may be in trouble on this one, only 250 miles away and it keeps much more of the solstice's badging by keeping the solstice wheels and looks like the original paint. if it were red or silver and not grey, i'd be driving up to it tomorrow.

that place sells everything for being named used motorcycles. boats, Porsche 914, ATVs; only 3 motorcycles though, not judging but thought interesting.

and I do not get hope people do not drive that thing either. I do not drive my gxp much from mid may to mid sept because its usually 90 plus with 90% humidity in Houston, but oct thru april, I make excuses; with a V8; i'd probably just cruise the main drag looking to show off and collect tickets for exhibition of speed !

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Guess I don't get it.

Except to the 'give me a V8 or give me death' crowd, is a 400 bhp V8 powered Kappa better than a 450 bhp LNF powered one?

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Only the sound is already enough I think !

Never driven a 400bhp Solstice but seems to me it is too much power and does not create a better drivability.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Guess I don't get it.

Except to the 'give me a V8 or give me death' crowd, is a 400 bhp V8 powered Kappa better than a 450 bhp LNF powered one?
Better by what standard? Rarity? Performance? Collectibility? Future value? Wow factor?

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts

Never driven a 400bhp Solstice but seems to me it is too much power and does not create a better drivability.
I find mine perfectly driveable, I have driven it to two Nassam's 2017 & 2019, & WV in 2018. The only thing it doesn't do well is pass a gas Station. I can live with that.

Now if you are talking about a LS7 car I may agree with you.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
so he bought it a year ago, moved it to California and it's now for sale near Dallas a year later ? I'm not a buyer as I do want red and really looking at next year or later for actually buying one; but would be nice if he stopped by and gave some insight for any potential buyer.
I think the California Smog Gods rejected the Mallett… :frown2:

·
Registered
629 Posts
You are correct, the owner bought the car imported it from anouther state and then could not get it passed the Smog board. Then sold it for a loss.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You are correct, the owner bought the car imported it from anouther state and then could not get it passed the Smog board. Then sold it for a loss.
that's too bad. I think if I were him, I may have just kept it anyways and been an outlaw. I mean, even with serious hotrod like that, the percent that he's going to be pulled over is low unless he's racing at stoplights.

but then, i'm not a good judge as i'm an outlaw, my gxp registration is outdue for months but I drive about once a week and do not race and I know from experience that if you just tell the register you haven't driven it; they'll give you the new registration. I figure its really not worth their time over a $60 permit.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Are you insured when driving without a valid registration ?
It is possible to insure a vehicle that is not registered, so the simple fact of it not being registered does not automatically mean no insurance.

Some policies, like mine, will cover liability in any vehicle, whether or not it is listed on a policy, under some circumstances. Outside of those circumstances, the fines for driving an un-insured vehicle can be substantial in some jurisdictions, you likely have no collision or comprehensive coverage, and your insurance company may drop you if they find out about it. So the risk is certainly not insignificant.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts

I say this with the greatest respect and kindness.

"I have no experience at this but clearly its bad"

While I appreciate that you have an opinion, your statement begins with a disqualifying statement.

I have 25k miles on a V8 Solstice and in my EXPERIENCE it does add to the drivability. And the fun factor. And the OMG experience.

You can choose to drive the V8 Solstice in a mild manner and it has great drivability. Shift early, let it lug along at the bottom of the power curve. It will return great muffled sound, smooth power delivery, and a great ride.

Give it a bit more throttle and it will perform at a higher level but it is very controllable. Having more power, be it with a highly built 2.0 or with a stock LS motor of moderate power and both will behave in a similar manner. If anything, the power delivery in the highly tuned 400 hp 2.0 is LESS controllable as the turbo power curve tends to be very steep and I have seen many tuned 2.0s disappearing over the horizon at 6000 RPM as the driver is hanging on to a charging hot rod. >:)

For me, the decision factors were 1) longevity of the LS motor over a similarly tuned 2.0. During the period when I was faced with the decision to V8 or not, we had a LOT of built 2.0s self destructing and manual transmissions giving up the ghost. Clutch failures. Axel failures. The landscape looked like it was littered with smoking turbo motors that broke, burned up, or just gave up. 2) I tuned my 2.0 to 305 at the wheels. That is somewhere around 350 HP at the crank. In my opinion that is a power level that retains reliability while providing great performance. I enjoyed the power but I was constantly worried about every ping, every time I hit the rev limiter I looked for smoke. Every start included listening for any rattling or signs of damage. I was very concerned, probably without merit, about the fragility of the motor and transmission.

All of that went away with the conversion. Sure I had other challenges but they did not involve the basic reliability, drivability and fun factor of the V8. And many of the challenges were self inflicted as part of my learning the car.

Having a V8 is not for everybody. But it can be a great experience and a ton of fun. Its an even BIGGER driving experience. And I would have no compunction about having any competent driver drive the car. Its very forgiving and easy to drive at less than ten tenths performance.

201 - 220 of 260 Posts