Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
that's too bad. I think if I were him, I may have just kept it anyways and been an outlaw. I mean, even with serious hotrod like that, the percent that he's going to be pulled over is low unless he's racing at stoplights.

but then, i'm not a good judge as i'm an outlaw, my gxp registration is outdue for months but I drive about once a week and do not race and I know from experience that if you just tell the register you haven't driven it; they'll give you the new registration. I figure its really not worth their time over a $60 permit.
In Colorado, if you have ever registered your car and let it laps, when you do go back, they charge you for the full period of time. So if you let it "rest" for 5 years thinking you are saving money, they hit you with all 5 years registration in addition to current year. It can get very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
Guess I don't get it.

Except to the 'give me a V8 or give me death' crowd, is a 400 bhp V8 powered Kappa better than a 450 bhp LNF powered one?
Can you define who are the V8 or death crowd? I don't think that is a crowd at all. :)

It suggests that you have a distinct bias and brings into question your motivation for this topic. I really enjoy your approach to explaining problems and solutions. You bring a vast experience and speak engineering language. Which I obviously enjoy. But occasionally, as we all do, you can kind of go over the edge. Or at least can see it from where you traveled.

In my experience yes.

The V8 power delivery is much different. It builds in a totally different way than the turbo which tends to build power more slowly at low RPMs, which I don't view as an issue, but then its power delivery is very steep and goes off like a rocket. To get over 400HP a major turbo upgrade is implied which brings low RPM lag. Great fun but not great for drivability. I agree that you can "drive around" the power delivery in either motor, but with the V8 its a much better experience for me.

Also, as stated several times, I can flog the living crap out of the V8 for years and not work about it puking its guts along the road. We have plenty of evidence that a 2.0 - even a nearly stock 2.0 can and will fail catastrophically with little or no warning. We have seen blocks crack, high pressure fuel pump driven failures, water pump failures, rod failures, piston failures, valve failures, and higher rate of transmission failures . . . the 2.0 is a great motor but like any machine that is normally operated at or beyond its design limits there are multiple failure modes and lots of failures. it was delivered at 260 ft pounds for a reason. It is clearly capable of much higher power levels. I read about a 2.0 factory dragster that made over 1000 HP. But as the power levels increase, reliability pays the price. Also, even at 400 hp, the power curve gets tall but narrows. Its physics. There is no free lunch.

The V8 has much fewer failure modes, has much fewer failures, has great acoustic and visceral experience and in my opinion for many is a much better return on investment if you are keeping your car long term. The V8 has the potential for what? 2000 hp? But when tuned for 400 HP its not working hard at all. Its like a big happy dog, pulling the sled all day long day after day.>:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
In Colorado, if you have ever registered your car and let it laps, when you do go back, they charge you for the full period of time. So if you let it "rest" for 5 years thinking you are saving money, they hit you with all 5 years registration in addition to current year. It can get very expensive.
I'd have no problem with that.

since this thread has had some questions, I guess i'll give the whole story; will make me sound like less of an outlaw though.

I initially missed the window with my jeep years ago to mail it in on time, so I figured i'd just go to the local office and pay it and any fine; but they waved me away because my inspection was not then within 30 days of me tryng to get the registration at which point I decided the hell with them, i'm over 40 and mostly drive to work and back; am not closing bars anymore; so it was probably very unlikely i'm getting pulled over over most on the road today and definitely not for a cop seeing an expired tag.
I figured I could get it when it was convenient for me and when I finally got around to it, no penalty; just pay the current year and they could car less and I was right; so I just do that with both my jeep and gxp now if I forget to mail it in or getting them inspected isn't convenient for me that month.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rob, you're selling me on the V8. of course I want it just to have that kind of power in a solstice, but i'm likely going to never line up next to a vette at a light or hit 100 in the freeway, i'm just not that kind of driver. if its going to be less trouble than a turbo, another selling point.

·
Super Moderator
15,999 Posts
The Solstice is easier to control than my Ram 1500. The Ram with the hemi and the 8 speed is very sensitive at low throttle. It took me a while to get the feel for it so I was not jerking or chirping the tires. I know it sounds odd but that is how it feels. The Solstice has similar characteristics but is much easier to drive from a stop smoothly and consistently

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #226 (Edited)
Another Mallett on Bring a Trailer, current bid $28,000: #41, Mallett build date 8/06. According to the seller, 229 cars were converted by Mallett when new.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-pontiac-solstice-8/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=-zsIKSMzmvQ

This 2006 Pontiac Solstice was manufactured in January 2006 and modified by Mallett Cars Ltd. of Berea, Ohio the following August with a 6.0-liter GM LS2 V8 and a five-speed manual transmission. Additional equipment includes a 3.42:1 differential, a custom driveshaft, coilover suspension, 19″ wheels, a dual exhaust system with MagnaFlow mufflers, air conditioning, the factory Preferred Package, and more. The seller acquired the car in November 2016 and has since added 1,500 of its 19k indicated miles. This Solstice is offered with an accident-free Carfax report and a clean Kansas title in the seller’s name.

The Solstice was designed by Franz von Holzhausen and shared the GM Kappa platform with the Saturn Sky. According to the seller, 229 cars were converted by Mallett when new. This example is finished in red with a black manually-operated soft top that is shown both raised and stowed under a rear-hinged deck lid. A restyled lower rear valance houses a 3″ dual-exit exhaust system with polished tips.

Aftermarket 19″ wheels wear staggered-width Nankang Ultra Sport NS-II tires which show 2012 date codes and were installed approximately 3k miles ago according to the seller. Mallett/Penske coilovers were fitted during the initial V8 conversion along with polyurethane rear A-arm bushings and differential mounts.

Factory two-tone leather seats feature Mallett V8 headrest embroidery. The car is equipped with the Preferred Package, and amenities consist of air conditioning, power windows/mirrors/locks, a CD player, and a short-throw shifter with an aluminum knob. The cruise control system was disabled during the initial conversion according to the seller. Just over 19k miles are shown on the odometer.

The front-hinged hood opens to reveal a General Motors 6.0-liter LS2 V8 adorned with Mallett-branded carbon fiber covers. Power is sent to the rear wheels through a five-speed manual gearbox with an LS2 clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel as well as a custom driveshaft and a 3.42:1 differential.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Another Mallett on Bring a Trailer, current bid $28,000: #41, Mallett build date 8/06. According to the seller, 229 cars were converted by Mallett when new.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-pontiac-solstice-8/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=-zsIKSMzmvQ

This 2006 Pontiac Solstice was manufactured in January 2006 and modified by Mallett Cars Ltd. of Berea, Ohio the following August with a 6.0-liter GM LS2 V8 and a five-speed manual transmission. Additional equipment includes a 3.42:1 differential, a custom driveshaft, coilover suspension, 19″ wheels, a dual exhaust system with MagnaFlow mufflers, air conditioning, the factory Preferred Package, and more. The seller acquired the car in November 2016 and has since added 1,500 of its 19k indicated miles. This Solstice is offered with an accident-free Carfax report and a clean Kansas title in the seller’s name.

The Solstice was designed by Franz von Holzhausen and shared the GM Kappa platform with the Saturn Sky. According to the seller, 229 cars were converted by Mallett when new. This example is finished in red with a black manually-operated soft top that is shown both raised and stowed under a rear-hinged deck lid. A restyled lower rear valance houses a 3″ dual-exit exhaust system with polished tips.

Aftermarket 19″ wheels wear staggered-width Nankang Ultra Sport NS-II tires which show 2012 date codes and were installed approximately 3k miles ago according to the seller. Mallett/Penske coilovers were fitted during the initial V8 conversion along with polyurethane rear A-arm bushings and differential mounts.

Factory two-tone leather seats feature Mallett V8 headrest embroidery. The car is equipped with the Preferred Package, and amenities consist of air conditioning, power windows/mirrors/locks, a CD player, and a short-throw shifter with an aluminum knob. The cruise control system was disabled during the initial conversion according to the seller. Just over 19k miles are shown on the odometer.

The front-hinged hood opens to reveal a General Motors 6.0-liter LS2 V8 adorned with Mallett-branded carbon fiber covers. Power is sent to the rear wheels through a five-speed manual gearbox with an LS2 clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel as well as a custom driveshaft and a 3.42:1 differential.

OOH ! a red one, very close. if it had a black interior i'd have to bid.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Interesting it has all the other usual Mallet Graphic's on it, but not the Number below the radio. I assume the Ford looking V8 badges applied to the front fenders are owner added?

Also interesting to see the different muffler and tail pipes, than my earlier car with the single outlet exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #231

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #232 (Edited)
Via FB: Tony Williams‎ to Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Classifieds
2006 Pontiac Solstice Supercharged LS3
$30,000
Here is official sale post. Most of you know the car. It's one of the most significant solstice's of them all. Featured on Speed TV's Bullrun. Was a SEMA car. Set the record for the fastest ecotec powered solstice when it was owned by Hahn Racecraft. Car details are in attached link.
Link to photo album here.https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMVHpxD5rGl_Irc-P6NyK7Us2VGD6X34pRSfZAqUN6enx2FgizScQi2zF4vUqY-sw?key=X2lJNEdoM25yY0tTRzNlNkJmeWxHVHlHZjhyM0x3

221 - 232 of 232 Posts