Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 250 Posts

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Again, this is an example of an early Mallett with "only" a 400 hp LS2 and a stock 5-speed tranny, stock wheels, etc. You'd have to spend quite a bit more to have an apples to apples comparison to the Werks and DDM offerings discussed here. Also, the Malletts have the same overheating issues as the others, if not worse. And, of course, Mallet went bankrupt (twice), so no help with anything from him. But if I were looking, I'd buy one where most Malletts sell these days - low to mid 20's, do the simple cooling tweaks and replace the tranny when it fails.

·
Super Moderator
16,271 Posts
I have friends with a Mallet and it does not "just work". It suffers from over heating, the cruise control does not function and they left the tunnel brace off the car. One of the consequences of the lack of the tunnel brace was a loss in controllability under sever circumstances. When trying to avoid hitting an animal on a road while crossing a bridge, the Mallet lost stability and ended up hitting both ends of the car on the bridge as the car spun. It took two years and a lot of bucks to return the car to service.

I am not saying that this is true for all Mallets however, I do not believe that this car is unique. It is an early production version and may have faults in execution that later cars do not experience.

Also, though I have had heating challenges with my car, the builder is still very much a going enterprise and has stood behind the car fully and continues to do so today.

Big difference from buying a car from a builder that has gone bankrupt twice and is no longer in business

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
The best buy on this forum is the Archie build LS3 V8 for just 25K.
I will say it again.
A lot of people here talking about doing or wanting a V8 Solstice and this one is all done and with a price that is really very good.
I really do not understand why is still available, specially when all the others are 10K more for less motor than this one.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
The best buy on this forum is the Archie build LS3 V8 for just 25K.
I will say it again.
A lot of people here talking about doing or wanting a V8 Solstice and this one is all done and with a price that is really very good.
I really do not understand why is still available, specially when all the others are 10K more for less motor than this one.
:agree::agree::agree: You need to check out his website and see the awesome V8 Fiero conversions he does I was impressed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks LatinVenom, Sting Ya, sbindley.

Just talked to a very reputable company down the street that says most conversions they do end up costing 20-30k with many going for more than that. Add in the cost of a low mileage car and your easily talking 35-40k or more when all said and done.

My LS3 Solstice is still available for $25K with only 18k. No wait, no hassle.
Just start the engine, start driving and save $10,000.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Just talked to a very reputable company down the street that says most conversions they do end up costing 20-30k with many going for more than that.
Hmm - stick a set of pistons, rods and valve springs into the stock motor and a bigger turbo, spend maybe 5-6K and have a faster car than the 20K V8 version. Hard decision? I think not!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
2006, Mallett (#28), LS2, 400HP, Agressive (Red) w/silver stripes, 14,960 Miles, $34,988

LUK GOLD PRO CLUTCH MALLETT CUSTOM SHOCKS AND SPRINGS, UP GRADED LARGE BIG RED BRAKES, CORSA STAINLESS STEEL MUFFLERS, CUSTOM MALLETT 2 CORE RADIATOR, POLYURETHANE RACE BUSHINGS, BLACK CARBON FIBER COIL COVERS, MALLETT BODY GRAPHICS, MALLETT CUSTOM NUMER PLATE AND MORE

Pontiac Solstice Mallett 400 HP Convertible | eBay
No Sale (& no bids) on Mallett #28, asking price $34,998: 536 views.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"I love the sound of that!"……..said no one ever….about a turbo 4.

Sports cars are supposed to give you wood when they start up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"I love the sound of that!"……..said no one ever….about a turbo 4.

Sports cars are supposed to give you wood when they start up.

Agreed!!! one of the coolest thing about a V8 conversion is that sound you get when you put your foot into it, but that's a $15,000 premeium for a cool sound!
And to be clear, there are LOTS of guys report people saying they love the sound of the Solo exhaust we use to make our 4 banger turbo music.
Beside my Solo dual center and cat I've already bought, Ive had ZZPerformance quote me 3K for around 400hp. So that makes the V8 conversion 7 times more expensive for the same 400hp.
LOL You could literately buy another low mileage GXP for the price of a conversion.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Post date 11/28/14

06, Mallett #28, LS2 V8, Manual (OEM?), Aggressive (Red) w/silver stripes, 14,960 Miles, Buy It Now Price $29,998. Full description in ad.

The other cars in my garage are not for sale.:devil: Signed; I wish.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Going to be putting my 2006 Mallett up for sale...good dialogue on here...will be asking $29,900...agree that it's not a "logical" investment, but it sure is fun at car shows when people do the double take and ask, "did those come with a v8?" Priceless....

·
Premium Member
10,404 Posts
The thing you would have against you is the car mentioned above.
It has a LS3 motor and the price is pretty reasonable, however it has not sold.
The car was also build buy one of the best , Archie of Fiero conversions.
Good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Registered
33 Posts
Car sold

CHOP TOP The car you listed here finally sold . the place that had it was only 8 miles from my house they dropped the price down to 26,595 I don't know if that was what they got for the car or if they took less:willy::lurk: not sure if I replied about rite car the one I was talking about was the red 2006 Mallett 14,000 miles you put it in here a couple of times when it was listed on ebay

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks for the update Kevin, last one I remember selling was the red Mallett #41, forum member; 1966Cobra427 recently purchased it. But that was back in September of 14.
[/QUOTE]

Forum member BadgerHound recently put his black #18 Mallet up for sale in Hemmings. I crossposted that one in this thread from his original posting.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f30/mallett-solstice-sale-105761/

BadgertHound Hemmings ad: 2006 Pontiac Solstice Mallett LS2 V8 for sale | Hemmings Motor News

I should have waited a few more years and I couda had a V8. :cryin:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the mention Chop...had some action on my car yet but no sealed deal just yet...

41 - 60 of 250 Posts