Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this little tidbit in the November Motor Trend. It could be Motor Trend trying to force GM's hand or an insight to a potential Super Solstice. It's no secret that Pontiac has wanted a Corvette for the past 40 years. If the Solstice can remain a darling of the press and the public for a few more years, I could see a V8 coupe becoming a reality and Pontiac fulfilling a longtime dream. :)

Motor Trend 11/05 (p.26) said:
A V-8 also is reportedly on the agenda for the Pontiac Solstice. We've been assured by a senior GM exec that a V-8 will fit between the chassis rails. Sounds like a recipe for a 21st-cetury Cobra.

·
Registered
284 Posts
stang said:
Found this little tidbit in the November Motor Trend. It could be Motor Trend trying to force GM's hand or an insight to a potential Super Solstice. It's no secret that Pontiac has wanted a Corvette for the past 40 years. If the Solstice can remain a darling of the press and the public for a few more years, I could see a V8 coupe becoming a reality and Pontiac fulfilling a longtime dream. :)
Must have missed that quote. I just had a little time to briefly skim through the mag the other day when it came. I'll have to sit down and look through it more thoroughly. Seeing as how mr. lutz has said time after time that there's not going to be a V8 put in there from the factory I'm very skeptical when I see/hear things like this but you never know. We all know how long they had "..no plans of producing the Solstice..." so maybe there's hope.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
simmonsmb said:
Must have missed that quote. I just had a little time to briefly skim through the mag the other day when it came. I'll have to sit down and look through it more thoroughly. Seeing as how mr. lutz has said time after time that there's not going to be a V8 put in there from the factory I'm very skeptical when I see/hear things like this but you never know. We all know how long they had "..no plans of producing the Solstice..." so maybe there's hope.
That's why I thought it could be Motor Trend just trying to gin up support. Then again, my guess is that there are a couple of V8 Solsti running around at Pontiac right now. Engineers love a challenge. ;)

·
5,641 Posts
Here is a thread from August out of Hot Rod Magazine:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3284

Wonder if he is also Motor Trend's source also?

Bonzo Audit Scorecard :)
Defend Dealership: No Critical Dealership: No
Defend GM: No Critical GM: No
Provide Infomation: Yes
Answer Question: No
General Conversation: No

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Mallett also works closely with GM if my information is correct, and the LS2 he is stuffing into the Solstice for the SEMA unveiling is more prove that the V8 information had to come from GM.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Mallett also works closely with GM if my information is correct, and the LS2 he is stuffing into the Solstice for the SEMA unveiling is more prove that the V8 information had to come from GM.
Don't overrate how "close" Mallett is with GM on his V8 conversion. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fformula88 said:
Don't overrate how "close" Mallett is with GM on his V8 conversion. ;)
That's what I'm thinking. :thumbs:

Ford Mustang Shelby GT500.
Pontiac Solstice Mallett GTP.

A car like that on the streets would change the rules. You could take on a 350Z at one light and then chase down a Mustang at the next. It would be a monster. I guess we get to see it at SEMA.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Mallett has the specs up on their site and options and order forms for first 100 only. 400hp. There was a post that said the Aisin tranny would bolt up to several bellhousings without modification. A crate motor from GM and a little wrenching and a competent motor mount fabricator and you could do it yourself. Can't be any more difficult than a swap into a Fiero. Hardest part is the electronics and communication between engine and rest of vehicle. That's why others get the big bucks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did read that article, but I think GM wants the aftermarket industry (and individuals) to know there is enough room for a V8. I wouldn't doubt it if we'll see some V8 Sols at the next SEMA show.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If GM does decided to go forth with V-8 upgrade then I expect a redesign of the engine bay is in order. Mallett had to move a lot of stuff around in there to make it fit, and last report was the nose is a couple inches short and required some modification on the inside. Maybe GM will release a revised version in 2008 with these minor changes that could allow for a V-8 option easier.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
TerpFan said:
If GM does decided to go forth with V-8 upgrade then I expect a redesign of the engine bay is in order. Mallett had to move a lot of stuff around in there to make it fit, and last report was the nose is a couple inches short and required some modification on the inside. Maybe GM will release a revised version in 2008 with these minor changes that could allow for a V-8 option easier.
Demand could drive those changes, but it may come down to whether they really want to have a Solstice from the factory that would certainly step on the toes of the Corvette for performance. I am not sure they would want to go that far, but it would be nice!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It seems I'm following you around!
Originally posted by: Fformula88
...it may come down to whether they really want to have a Solstice from the factory that would certainly step on the toes of the Corvette for performance.
Remember the 89 Fiero?
http://www.spmicro.com/gallery/album36/aae
http://coupes.autoblog.com/entry/1234000743025575/

Part of the reason it was abandoned was because to remain competitive with new market trends the next generation would have had to offer a more substantial powerplant than the 2.8L V6 (remember how the first EFI 5.0Ls in the late 80s re-revolutionized cheap performance)... GM seemed to decide that a V8 Fiero would/could outperform the Corvette, taking the spotlight away from GMs tried and true "supercar" <-like the quotes :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
KissTheSky said:
It seems I'm following you around!

Remember the 89 Fiero?
http://www.spmicro.com/gallery/album36/aae
http://coupes.autoblog.com/entry/1234000743025575/

Part of the reason it was abandoned was because to remain competitive with new market trends the next generation would have had to offer a more substantial powerplant than the 2.8L V6 (remember how the first EFI 5.0Ls in the late 80s re-revolutionized cheap performance)... GM seemed to decide that a V8 Fiero would/could outperform the Corvette, taking the spotlight away from GMs tried and true "supercar" <-like the quotes :lol:
I have seen the 89/90 prototype in person (and sat in it) :D Very cool design, but it was not a V8 packing Corvette killer. It had GM's 3.2L DOHC V6 under the hood of the GT variant. Base cars would still have been 4 cylinder. That would have been sufficient bump in power at the time (from the 2.8L's 140) to keep it competitive. Besides, based on everything I have seen, read, and heard, I have started to think that Chevy's influence in the cancelation of the Fiero is somewhat overplayed. I still think it was a factor, but Chevy alone would not have been able to cancel it. The car's bad reputation (by 1987, 1 of every 500 produced had caught fire) and lagging sales (over 100,000 in 1984, down to 26,000 in 1988 making GM fear it could no longer make money on it) were the big reasons. The Fiero had a lot of enemies at GM from day one, and they were not all Corvette people. By 1988, those that had championed the car were either gone from GM (Estes), or had moved onto other divisions (Hoglund off to start Saturn) which left the Fiero a sitting duck.

Anyway, I digress. Whether or not Corvette people would like it,I do not think Bob Lutz would like the price. He doesn't think the world needs another $40K roadster (quoted in regards to building a higher cost Kappa than the Sol/Sky). I bet by the time a V8 was put in, with the needed reengineering, beefing up of components, etc, the Sol would cost at least well into the $30's and maybe approaching Corvette levels. It would weigh close to the Corvette, cost close to it, and perform close to it (although with a worse weight distribution). I just don't see the business case for it with these factors since they already have a Corvette, and you cannot beat it for market recognition.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone else find it odd that GM, who has made a business model out of canabalizing their own sales with competing models, has always protected any Corvette challenger from Pontiac. Ever notice that when Pontiac does sneak a two-seater into production it has to come with a 4-cylinder engine. I think a V6 for the Solstice would actually be cooler than a V8, but that's just me. Something between 3.0-3.5L.

Anyway, thanks for the 1989 Fiero pics. I've never seen those before. That car would have rocked! At least back then it would have. ;)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
There is no Pontiac, no Buick, no Chevy. There was at one time, but not now. Now they're really all just GMs.

If your old enough, you'll remember the days when each division had their own unique engines. Now they're lucky to have different sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LBJay said:
There is no Pontiac, no Buick, no Chevy. There was at one time, but not now. Now they're really all just GMs.

If your old enough, you'll remember the days when each division had their own unique engines. Now they're lucky to have different sheet metal.
Soon there will be no Pontiac-Buick-GMC too it seems. If GM succesfully combines them all under one roof and starts pruning down their offerings as has been mentioned you'll soon see one giant PonuickMC.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LBJay said:

Lets be fair, there is still as much differentiation as most other companies offer. Especially on their newer products. The Epsilon platform is the best example. The G6, Malibu, and Saab 9-3 have unique bodies and interiors, and to an extent unique wheelbases and even some powertrain choices (particularly with the Saab). No, not all GM platforms have vehicles that are differentiated as well as these, but this is a far cry from the Cavalier/Cimmeron clones of the 80's too, and IMO no different than what other companies have been up to. (VW/Audi platform sharing, Ford/Mazda/Volvo, etc).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts