Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant wait until someone trys to put a LS2 from a GTO or Corvette into a Solstice.That would be sick. I havent seen a Soltice in person yet so I dont know if a LS2 would even fit. Even a high output Northstar v6 would be awsome in the kappa platform. Im sure a Solstice will end up at the Sema in the near future. I cant wait to see what people will come up with. :cool:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Check out this site:http://www.mallettcars.com/ Also you might type Mallett in Search box of this forum 'cuz there's been a lot of discussions on this. I agree, a 400HP LS2 in a Solstice is an intriguing idea.

·
Registered
763 Posts
No that wasn't a scorn that was a suggestion. No apology needed. Just letting you know our old threads have some real jewels.

·
Registered
260 Posts
one of the engineers told me several months back that there was a V-8 solstice. His comment was" that thing was so quick it scarred the *&@* out of me."

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mallet - Pimp My Ride

Hopefully Mallet will offer a 20-25K restoration package in 5 years....take it to them to get a V6 or V8, 6 speed, suspension, dual exhaust, custom paint job, new leather seats, new wheels.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Carrol Shelby figured out how to stuff a big block into an AC Cobra....eventually, someone will put 400+ HP under the hood of the Solstice. It would surely throw off the balance of the car, but straight line acceleration would be neck snapping!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
hmm....I thought Delnari mentioned that the Mallet conversion is a small block V8...and only weighs about 150 lbs more than the 2.4L Ecotec. In which case it may not throw the balance off as much. Personally...I hope that GM offers a supercharger upgrade...I think I'll be happy with Boxster S performance for a total cost less than 30K.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
padelong said:
Sorry about that.I guess i will need to search more before i post.It didnt even cross my mind to search for swaps.Im not new to forums so I should have know better.My bad.
No problem. A V8 Solstice! Who'd a thunk it? :eek: What was more shocking? Finding out someone had already asked or the fact that someone is already doing it?

Man I can't wait to see that car. :cool:

·
Registered
227 Posts
GMLinedog said that GM had one and it scared the living #$&% out of one of the drivers. I'd make plans to go to SEMA in Las Vegas in November...probably be alot of modified (V8, V6, Turbo/Supercharged) Solstices. I think Delnari will have his on display there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Gmlinedog said:
one of the engineers told me several months back that there was a V-8 solstice. His comment was" that thing was so quick it scarred the *&@* out of me."
Not sure who you talked to GMlinedog, but I have a feeling a GM built V8 Sol does not exist... ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
general said:
hmm....I thought Delnari mentioned that the Mallet conversion is a small block V8...and only weighs about 150 lbs more than the 2.4L Ecotec. In which case it may not throw the balance off as much. Personally...I hope that GM offers a supercharger upgrade...I think I'll be happy with Boxster S performance for a total cost less than 30K.
That weight could be misleading too. In past discussion, others have speculated that an LS2 and the associated hardware that would go with it would raise the Sol's curb weight above 3100, and basically put it within spitting distance of the weight of a Corvette.

No real consensus on the actual weight of either engine, especially the 2.4L since there aren't exactly any around to throw on a scale.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Not sure who you talked to GMlinedog, but I have a feeling a GM built V8 Sol does not exist... ;)
I wonder.....

I remember a previous thread (pause while I look through past posts). Oh, here it is, from the HOTROD interview of Mark Reuss on GM Performance's plans for Solstice thread.

HOTROD: You can leave the V-8 swaps to HOT ROD. One of our pet projects is to put an LS7 in a Solstice. It would be like a modern interpretation of the Shelby Cobra or a Lister Corvette.

Reuss: We can help you with that. We actually know that something very close to that fits.
Sounds like GM may have already done some experimenting. :devil:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah....they're calling it the Bob Lutz Speical Edition...and you need a pilot's license to drive it. ;)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dengel said:
I wonder.....

I remember a previous thread (pause while I look through past posts). Oh, here it is, from the HOTROD interview of Mark Reuss on GM Performance's plans for Solstice thread.

Sounds like GM may have already done some experimenting. :devil:
"Some experimenting" and having a running V8 Sol can be two very different things. ;)

If GM had a running V8 Sol, I doubt they would have been able to keep it under wraps this long. They are not too good at keeping these things a secret.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gmlinedog said:
IT exists!!!!

Sweet... :cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been emailing Chuck Mallett about the conversion. You can arrange to have your car shipped right to his local dealer. He is also offering a turbo and super charger kit in the future. I like the idea of a V8 but with all the upgrades I would be intereted in getting, I could buy a Corvette.

Hello Dave,

Yes, I have a V8 LS-2 conversion for the Solstice/Sky
The conversion cost $18,000.00 end user !
It will be available immediately after the launch of the production car.
And I will follow up with performance options latter in the year.
I will put you on my Email list to keep you up dated.
If you have any more questions? Email me or call
440 243 8550 9 to 6

Thank you,

Chuck Mallett

·
Registered
281 Posts
dferkler said:
...like the idea of a V8 but with all the upgrades I would be intereted in getting, I could buy a Corvette....
Corvette, shmorvette! A V8 Solstice is a rare gem, a true exotic! It follows the classic exotic forumula better - outrageous power in a beautiful body, totally impractical storage space.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts