Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After FINALLY getting my car put back together following the Epic Hose Fail of April 2015, I can finally drive. The new engine (2010 Malibu LE5) works perfectly.

The remaining problem is: if I get boost, the car jerks and stumbles, to the point where it's embarrassing and *very* uncomfortable. As in, acceleration utterly stops.

I think that I have a boost leak somewhere. If I go easy on the throttle (no boost), there's no problem. Under boost, since I happen to have left the wheel well liners off during reassembly, I can hear what sounds like a very severe boost leak.

Given that everything works fine at idle, how should I go about diagnosing this? I can't really build boost sitting in the garage. (I could build a dyno, I guess...)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I found a Harbor Freight rubber mallet provides great 3" intake plugs. Just use a hacksaw to cut off both ends and you have 2 plugs. Clamp them in at the turbo and throttle body.
Find a place where you can introduce air from a shop compressor. Spray down all joints with soapy water and pressurize the system, look for bubbles.

PS: When you are done diagnosing, you can use the mallet ends as Jacking pucks.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a Harbor Freight rubber mallet provides great 3" intake plugs. Just use a hacksaw to cut off both ends and you have 2 plugs. Clamp them in at the turbo and throttle body.
Find a place where you can introduce air from a shop compressor. Spray down all joints with soapy water and pressurize the system, look for bubbles.

PS: When you are done diagnosing, you can use the mallet ends as Jacking pucks.
That is awesome! And recycling is always great.

I have jack pucks already, but they kind of suck. (I did, however, wind up attaching them to the car rather than the jack. Makes it a little easier to keep up with them and slightly reduces the odds that Discount Tire will bend stuff again.)

Dave

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
After FINALLY getting my car put back together following the Epic Hose Fail of April 2015, I can finally drive. The new engine (2010 Malibu LE5) works perfectly.

The remaining problem is: if I get boost, the car jerks and stumbles, to the point where it's embarrassing and *very* uncomfortable. As in, acceleration utterly stops.

I think that I have a boost leak somewhere. If I go easy on the throttle (no boost), there's no problem. Under boost, since I happen to have left the wheel well liners off during reassembly, I can hear what sounds like a very severe boost leak.

Given that everything works fine at idle, how should I go about diagnosing this? I can't really build boost sitting in the garage. (I could build a dyno, I guess...)
Are you getting a Check Engine Light? If so, what error code(s)?

Have you watched the Boost Pressure on the DIC when this problem happens? What pressure, if any, does it show?

Yogi

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a CEL, but haven't plugged up the scanner to see what the problem is.

This is a 2.4 with Werks aftermarket turbo. There's no boost reading on the DIC. (If anyone knows how to enable that, please let me know. I have HP Tuners if that helps.)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would get the codes and contact Werks, but they are prolly at NASSM 2015 and will be difficult to get in touch with.

Yogi

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave has already been insanely helpful and response while I've worked through the

1. Install turbo
2. Fix everything I did wrong in (1)
3. Replace blown engine (my fault!)
4. Install Big Ass Radiator
5. Fix charge tube routing over Big Ass Radiator
6. Where's this leak coming from?

He's even responded while at nationals this week. I cannot recommend these guys enough.

I'm going to grab a mallet and make a pressure tester, pull the codes after the kids go to bed.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the leak was around the vacuum T for my boost gauge. I've temporarily disconnected the gauge and replaced the hose, and everything appears to be working as close to perfectly as I have a right to expect.

BTW, the new Wilwood 6-piston front brakes (Thank you Todd @ TCE for amazing support when debugging the system) are amazing. The brakes appear to send a message to the past so that the car stops, well, wherever you hit the pedal. Or possible a couple of feet before. :)

I built a pressure tester out of a Home Depot rubber coupler, PVC cap and a tire valve. I attached it to the intake pipe coming from the intercooler to the throttle, and pressurized it. Sprayed some soap around, but I could hear the leaks. Replaced a hose, tightened some clamps, and everything is great.

See images below for a pic of the pressure tester.

And, the turbo/exhaust manifold gasket with a small flaw (bottom)vs the new one I made (top). Wow.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts