Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on painting my valve cover this weekend, does anybody know if I will have to replace the valve cover gasket, or does the Solstice have a re-usable gasket?

Thanks, Derek...

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
You're supposed to replace it, I believe. However, it's silicone-rubber and from what I've seen, most folks just reuse it. That's if you're careful and dont damage it of course.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I pulled mine off and had my cover powdercoated. When the cover was put back on with the original gasket it leaked and I went to the dealer and bought a new one to replace it. No more leaks.

Spend the $20 and get a new one unless you're the gamblin' type.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
We should have an informal poll. State whether you've reused the gasket or not and if it was OK. Be sure to include if your car is a GXP or NA.

The two covers are different and the one I saw reused without issues was an NA. SlyBob's is a GXP, so maybe it's a factor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about getting a gasket just in case if there's one in stock around me. I called a few places and nobody has any in stock.

Thanks guys! Pics will be posted by the weekend!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Silicone gaskets can be reused if no noticeable tears or other problems are noted. I would recommend storing it in a refrigerator as they tend to grow in normal room temperature.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silicone gaskets can be reused if no noticeable tears or other problems are noted. I would recommend storing it in a refrigerator as they tend to grow in normal room temperature.
Thanks for the tip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts