Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was in Barnes and Noble this weekend and saw a magazine I had not seen before. It turned out to be British. http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/

There is nothing on the site yet but in this issue they cover the Sky at the Detroit show and then state that Vauxhall won't be seeing a Kappa because the platform cannot be engineered for right hand drive. :confused

I don't put much stock in the report, but I'm wondering what would cause a problem. Which side of the engine the exhaust comes from is the only thing that I can think of that can't be mirror imaged. Maybe it interferes with the steering.

Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
swapping a car from Left hooker to Right hooker is not trivial if the packaging is tight.

Mirror-image engines are simple in theory, devilishly hard in practice. If any modifications to the structure due to styling limitations forced them to go asymmetric (haven't looked in detail at the chassis pics but suspect it is not symmetric), then changing drive sides becomes even more complicated - not that it's impossible, but it's closer to doing a whole car rather than just changing a few parts.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
swapping a car from Left hooker to Right hooker is not trivial if the packaging is tight.

Mirror-image engines are simple in theory, devilishly hard in practice. If any modifications to the structure due to styling limitations forced them to go asymmetric (haven't looked in detail at the chassis pics but suspect it is not symmetric), then changing drive sides becomes even more complicated - not that it's impossible, but it's closer to doing a whole car rather than just changing a few parts.
Does the fact that since it's FR making the engine North-South instead of East-West in a FF help with allowing more clearance for the stearing shaft? I know Porsche had the problem licked with all of the 924, 928, 944, 968 and all their turbocharged varients. I know reading some of the history of those the engine being N-S helped a lot in the ability to make left/right hand stearing fairly simple.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I think a front engine FWD is actually easier to change over - just need a new steering gear and interior components, front of dash, etc.

I think it's easier for a vehicle with global volumes in excess of 35,000 or 40,000 also (the more the better), because the steering gear is all new, meaning specific castings. Engine may also need specific parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts