Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a concern about the Vehicle Capacity Weight Rating. On the inside of the drivers door there is a sticker that states that the Combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 160 kg or 353 lbs.

It seems to me that this is a very low weight capacity. I weigh 220 lbs which
means I can't carry anyone or anything that's over 133 lbs. Does anyone else have any concern about this capacity.

I know this has been disussed before, but i'm not sure about a right answer.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
rover said:
It seems to me that this is a very low weight capacity. I weigh 220 lbs which means I can't carry anyone or anything that's over 133 lbs. Does anyone else have any concern about this capacity.
Possible solution: Leave snacks at home when you and the better half are out crusin'.... :) :devil:

That does seem rather low. Maybe that is to cover buttocks when you complain about not having enough power.

It may also be one of the things that they can point at to say, "that is why we gave you such a small trunk. Anything larger and you would exceed the weight capacity of the car."

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, covered in depth before. Do some searching.

In summary, this number is the output of an equation based on the number of passengers and the volume of cargo space. Anything official or sudo-official from Pontiac is going to give you the standard "Be sure to read/understand/follow all vehicle recommendations, blah, blah blah". That said, rumor has it that having to big guys isn't going to snap the frame in 2.

·
Registered
515 Posts
deluke said:
When I asked about that they said 353 lbs per tire if not two 6'2" guys ast normal weight would go over.
No, this is not per tire. See above.

·
Registered
515 Posts
deluke said:
All I'm saying that is what I was told by GM.And if you see the attached post I believe your wrong, it is per tire !!
So you're saying I can put 1412 lbs. (353*4) in my Solstice? Nope. That's 49% of the curb weight.

Maybe I should sell my 3/4 ton pickup and just use the Solstice to haul gravel. An 05 Ram 1500's payload capacity is 1440lbs. Forget any posts or what you've been told and just think about it, it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Chris said:
So you're saying I can put 1412 lbs. (353*4) in my Solstice? Nope. That's 49% of the curb weight.

Maybe I should sell my 3/4 ton pickup and just use the Solstice to haul gravel. An 05 Ram 1500's payload capacity is 1440lbs. Forget any posts or what you've been told and just think about it, it doesn't make sense.
353 lbs doesn't make sense.I guess I'll see when I get my car and manual.My husband said go out and check the tires it say's maxiium load weight on the side of the tire, thats per tire.Thats pay load there is a difference !!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
deluke said:
353 lbs doesn't make sense.I guess I'll see when I get my car and manual.My husband said go out and check the tires it say's maxiium load weight on the side of the tire, thats per tire.Thats pay load there is a difference !!!
:leaving:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
Is the maximum recommended weight for a vehicle, including: the weight of the vehicle itself, fuel and other fluids, passengers, and all cargo.

So 2990 (GVWR) - 2880 (curb weight) = 110 lbs. for cargo and passengers.

Some people are going to have to lose a lot of weight.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
LBJay said:
Should have plenty of time to do that before delivery. At least we aren't having to give an arm and a leg for this car...just for the gas to fill it up and drive for miles and miles and miles and miles.... :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
deluke said:
You can't check the tires. They will always be rated at much more than what the car will be rated at + the weight of the car. It is a basic engineering principle. The number that they get of 353 has to do with the structure of the car, springs, etc. Even though it says 350 you would probably be fine with 450, but GM just wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The information Chris is talking about is correct. We received that information from an engineer at the Detroit event.

·
Registered
905 Posts
LBJay said:
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
Is the maximum recommended weight for a vehicle, including: the weight of the vehicle itself, fuel and other fluids, passengers, and all cargo.

So 2990 (GVWR) - 2880 (curb weight) = 110 lbs. for cargo and passengers.

I don't know where I'm gonna find 50lbs! ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd say that weight limit is CYA. Just take a look at all the warnings
on any product. If you put 500 lbs aboard and drive over a bump and don't
bounce off the suspension stops, and the handling hasn't become squirrelly, then I wouldn't pay any attention to the limit.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Chris said:

Go outside and read your tire on your car--look for "load wgt"
thought everyone knew this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
deluke said:
Go outside and read your tire on your car--look for "load wgt"
thought everyone knew this.
Mentioned this earlier in the thread...
You can't check the tires. There is a maximum load that the tires can handle, but the suspention can only take much less. Sorry to burst your bubble.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Chris said:

... and I was going to put a Hidden Hitch on the Sol/Sky! ;) :lol:

·
Registered
515 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
Mentioned this earlier in the thread...
You can't check the tires. There is a maximum load that the tires can handle, but the suspention can only take much less. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Amen. Max tire load does not equal payload capacity + curb weight. Eagle RS-A 245/45 VR18 max load is 1565lbs per tire (tirerack).

The tires could carry 6260lbs (1565*4), 2860 of that being curb weight, but I think the remaining 3400lbs is a "little" beyond what the suspension was designed to work with.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts