Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to add one more gripe about how long the production is taking and how little info. we're being given but in hopes someone from GM might be lurking and read this I want to express how disappointed I am with the way GM is handling the Solstice EOP program.

I'm not overly disappointed about the delays, stuff happens and I'd rather have a quality car later than a sub-par one now. I'm not upset that they chose to publicize and sell the car months before it would be available, again I think they really thought it would be ready for summer (at least I hope so).

What I think is very poor form is how little communication we're getting about the status of cars that we've already ordered. In a somewhat recent letter to the dealers that was posted on the forum GM promised "regular communication" with the EOP customers as well as "gifts". So far I have seen neither. I signed up for the email newsletter hoping I'd get something at least once a month with some sort of update, no such luck, I haven't even gotten a single newsletter or email update yet.

The dealers don't seem to have any more information than anyone else. Is this any way to run a company? I can't think of a better way to kill off the buzz that they spent a lot of money to create. All I'm asking is that they throw us a bone, even send a picture of the Solstice in the mail or something. Give us access to a site with estimated production timelines (who cares if it says October, at least it will give us something to check and see if anything's changed).

I really hope to see GM and the Solstice succeed, and I think in a lot of ways they're on the right track. This just seems like something that's so simple and basic that it shouldn't even need to be mentioned. In business I learned a long time ago that the first law of customer retention is communication. The quicket way to lose a customer is to let communication cease.

Am I expecting too much?

·
Registered
600 Posts
You're right on with your comments. Communications are a necessity; especially in this case.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
...Give us access to a site with estimated production timelines (who cares if it says October, at least it will give us something to check and see if anything's changed)...
:lol: I think you're logged into such a site... :glol:

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
:jester:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Just sent an email to GM and got a responce within a half hour. Miko just told me that the general production did start May 16th and cars should start reaching dealers in 6 to 8 weeks. Said to keep in contact with dealer for status. She did say that the first 1000 program cars have not started in the production line yet. I dont know what holding up of these.

Mine will be in the general production. First allocated car at my dealer. Ordered 4-19-05.

Well I'll be stopping by my dealer tomorrow to see whats up. I'll let you know what I find out.

I think the car will be worth waiting for. Even for us in New England.

·
4,592 Posts
kenf said:
Just sent an email to GM and got a responce within a half hour. Miko just told me that the general production did start May 16th and cars should start reaching dealers in 6 to 8 weeks. Said to keep in contact with dealer for status. She did say that the first 1000 program cars have not started in the production line yet.
I've seen this comment before - that the first 1000 are being built later than others - am I missing something - that doesn't make them the first 1000 then???

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
solsticeman said:
Very true! It's just a sad comment on the level of communication GM is providing that you can get more accurate and up-to-date information about it at a third-party site than from any official GM source. I also don't think they should be telling people definitively 4th quarter (which a number of dealers are) if they may be arriving months earlier. They may think it will be a nice surprise if it's early, but some of us really need to take care of other things first and need to know when it's coming ahead of time. I plan on selling my other roadster before it arrives and would like to have time to spare so I don't have to take the first offer that comes along. I sure hope they let us know when to expect our cars at least a few weeks in advance.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
RODEO said:
I've seen this comment before - that the first 1000 are being built later than others - am I missing something - that doesn't make them the first 1000 then???
They may be making some advance production cars for promotional purposes and/or the media that are not actually cars ordered by dealers, as speculated about the cars seen in the plant pics. The first 1000 are supposed to be the first 1000 "retail orders" produced.

·
4,592 Posts
SlySol said:
They may be making some advance production cars for promotional purposes and/or the media that are not actually cars ordered by dealers, as speculated about the cars seen in the plant pics. The first 1000 are supposed to be the first 1000 "retail orders" produced.

Good point, I think you have it. They gotta make some to crash, some for media reviews, etc. Good thinking SlySol!

It wouldn't make sense otherwise, that is - to sell the first 1000 when they actually were not :lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kenf said:
Just sent an email to GM and got a responce within a half hour. Miko just told me that the general production did start May 16th and cars should start reaching dealers in 6 to 8 weeks. Said to keep in contact with dealer for status. She did say that the first 1000 program cars have not started in the production line yet. I dont know what holding up of these.

Mine will be in the general production. First allocated car at my dealer. Ordered 4-19-05.

Well I'll be stopping by my dealer tomorrow to see whats up. I'll let you know what I find out.

I think the car will be worth waiting for. Even for us in New England.

Thanks for the update, and this is great news to have. However this is also a great example of the problem. This is great new info but...
1) How do we know it's accurate? There have been so many conflicting reports out of GM sources about start of production.
2) If this information is correct why hasn't this been published to the masses so that we can know the current status?
3) How are we to interpret this new info? Does this mean that non EOP retail cars are being built (and presumably would thus be available) prior to the EOP 1000? If so this would be a huge faupaux in itself and a lot of people would be very upset. If cars start showing up at dealers before the EOP 1000 have shipped without any clear communication of what's going on I can only imagine the uproar and
4) There are a lot of holes in the communication (I.e. What's holding up the first 1,000. Will the first 1,000 be built soon? Who will get these inital cars that are being built now?)

I agree with what others say that this board is the best source of info. As great as this board is, that's really sad for GM that people who are completely unrelated to GM have to peice together details from hundreds of sources to get information that is better than what has been shared with the dealers or the customers who have placed orders. My primary problem with just relying on this board for info. is that there's so much conflicting information. We need one "official" source that is accurate and gives us the best up-to-date info.

2006 Pontiac Solstice...

Design A+
Power A-
Components A-
Value/Price A
Gas Milge C+
Marketing B+
Communication F

·
Registered
177 Posts
SlySol said:
This is again a case where the LEFT hand dosn't know what the RIGHT hand is doing...like two feet separated by shoes!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would bet the first 1000 will be SHIPPED before the other EOP cars even if they are not the first ones PRODUCED. Otherwise they should have called them something else. Special Edition, maybe except there is nothing special other than the plaque.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Gm, Here Is My Two Cents

solsticedreamin said:
In business I learned a long time ago that the first law of customer retention is communication. The quicket way to lose a customer is to let communication cease...
GM, if you are listening? This is an excellent observation!! You may also noticed a number of people who have posted on here that have already cancelled their orders and bought competitor's cars. I'll bet that if asked them it was NOT because the Sol's were delayed, but because there was NO BELIEVABLE TRUE ANSWER from you GM that they could count on as to when they would deliver. And for everyone on here there are probably 5 - 10 more not on the forum who did the same!

We all (I believe) appreciate challenges with fit, supply, startup issues, etc. But, we sure DON'T understand why the silence! I heard that you sold more Solstices in the first few days after Apprectice (7,500 pre-orderes was quoted) than ANY other release ever. This would be a nice start for you on this car. Don't ruin it with a bad marketing decision of silence.

BTW, in my humble opinion (IMHO), you could go a very long way to say "we appreciate your interest, excitement and commitment!" if you did as you stated and send a token to every person who has committed for a pre-ordered Solstice. My suggestion, a Sol baseball cap. Your cost <$3.00 each, your return, customers anxiously awaiting cars who would at least know you understand our anxiousness to have the actual car and that you are appreciative!

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Some things NEVER change...amazing!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
RODEO said:
It looks more and more like I was correct. GM seems to playing a game of semantics.

As I've said before the "First 1000" may not be the first produced just the first to be ordered. So it's not the car that special, it's the owner. You were one of the first to order a Solstice.

I maybe wrong, we'll see. If I'm correct, I think a lot of people are going to be very upset.

·
5,641 Posts
I am sorry that you feel that GM/Pontiac has let you down. But if you think about it, they have been busy and moving in a logical progression.

The EOP program ended April 24th, less then a month ago.

Then it was neccessary to confirm all the selected orders. This took longer then GM/Pontiac expected. I believe it may have even lasted into the double digit days of May. So these people have had one or two contacts from GM/Pontiac and some were even updated by their dealers.

Next on the list was to deal with the wait listed people. They have received one of two emails, based on posts. There has also been a mailing reported, and another on the way.

Now that the wait list situations have been delt with Pontiac can and will go back to the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Sosltice Order customers with contacts. I am sure that there will be a plan put in place shortly.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I would bet the first 1000 will be SHIPPED before the other EOP cars even if they are not the first ones PRODUCED. Otherwise they should have called them something else. Special Edition, maybe except there is nothing special other than the plaque. - waiting

waiting, I think you're right. When Margo called to offer me the "consolation Solstice w/24 month free maintenance program", she specifically told me that I'd receive the car immediately after the 1st 1,000 were distributed.The due date was early October, and the car is not considered part of my dealer's 1st regular allocation.

·
Registered
753 Posts
there is a world of difference between 6-8 weeks from 5/16/05 and october delivery. i understand that GM needs wiggle room in the delivery date to address any unforseen production issues but they need to narrow that window a bit. people who want a roadster this summer may wait until august but won't wait until october - and others who may want to sell another vehicle or arrange/plan their financing deserve a realistic delivery time frame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If they deliver the cars before the fall then all will be forgiven! Does anyone know the magic number that can be produced in a day? Surely once they ramp up they can quickly produce the promo and crash test cars so that they can get to producing the first 1000.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Maybe GM isn't saying anything because, right now, there is nothing to say!

What has been bad about communication from GM? They did the EOP order program, and took the time to call everyone personally to confirm their order. Some people received two calls. Its my understanding that they have also notified those that missed out that they can still order a regular allocation car.

Production and delivery. They put out in the press that there are delays in production due to top and front fascia issues, and they informed dealers to tell people to expect cars to be delivered in the 4th quarter.

So what is the problem with communicating? People who are getting one know they are getting one. Everyone knows there are delays in production. If they do not know how long it will take to fix those problems, they probably don't have a date when production will start yet. If it takes a week, then production starts soon. If it ends up taking a month, then there will be no production for some time. Until they have that answer, there really is nothing for them to say.

As far as the swag they promised. Just be patient. They said they would be sending something, and they will. They didn't promise it would be sent immediately by overnight mail.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts