Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my OE headlights with HOD lights from Oracle lighting (55watt halogen) about a month ago. Today, something very peculiar happened. I took my car back to the dealer because they overfilled the oil by 2 quarts when it was in last week for the oil leak. When they pulled it out, the driver's headlight was only about 1/4 power. He shut the car off and the lights went out. I got in it to leave, started it and I was watching the reflection and again only about 1/4 power. What I found interesting was that it took it almost 1-2 seconds longer to come on. The tech said I had a headlight that was going. I've NEVER had a headlight at 1/2 power, let alone 1/4 power....they're either on or off.... Is this normal when headlights burn out?

When I got home, the light is fine....full power and no delay when turning it on. Is it possible that I might have a wiring issue? Or that maybe the tech didn't turn the switch all the way when he turned them on to check them?

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
It's not just the DRLs being on is it? That circuit lights the low beam filament at reduced voltage.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually ive never really noticed any difference between the drls and the headlights being on. But no...it was way weaker. Of course me being the "optomist" that I am....my first thought was the BCM had an issue....

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this morning I went to leave for work and the other one was doing the same thing. So I decided to take the 10 minutes and just put my old OEM bulbs back in. When I went to pull them both out, the driver's side bulb exploded. And the passenger sides twisted out of the plastic socket that they're attached too. Obviously TS I should have listened and went with the ZXE. I will be purchasing those soon! I'm hoping it was just the bulbs going bad and not anything with the car now.....

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope....I used protection! ;)

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Well, this morning I went to leave for work and the other one was doing the same thing. So I decided to take the 10 minutes and just put my old OEM bulbs back in. When I went to pull them both out, the driver's side bulb exploded. And the passenger sides twisted out of the plastic socket that they're attached too. Obviously TS I should have listened and went with the ZXE. I will be purchasing those soon! I'm hoping it was just the bulbs going bad and not anything with the car now.....
OUCH! The headlight wiring is pretty conventional (relay in the underhood fuse block and straight wires to the headlights - no BCM :)) so unlikely to have damaged anything there. The only thing that could be an issue is if the bulb damaged the connector... but hopefully not! Good luck.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OUCH! The headlight wiring is pretty conventional (relay in the underhood fuse block and straight wires to the headlights - no BCM :)) so unlikely to have damaged anything there. The only thing that could be an issue is if the bulb damaged the connector... but hopefully not! Good luck.
I feel much better now. I was worried the BCM was screwed up!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
It's always good to hear people are using protection.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Before you waste money on the ZXE bulbs, I will tell you they suck! I tried them before completing my projector and hid retrofit because I was trying to get around tearing into the headlights. In the end I caved because no bulb can compare to the increased visibility provided by the retrofit. The zxe's appeared more white when compared to the oem bulbs, but not at all close to 4300k hid color. The light output was actually less than with the oem bulbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts