Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.. This is an amazing Forum. I wanted to make a quick introduction and ask a question or two. I think I was very lucky in acquiring a 2006 Solstice with 721 miles 2 weeks ago. Black / steel grey leather interior. It was part of a collection and was stored properly.

I would appreciate feedback on purchasing a portable dash mounted GPS that has the ability to transmit the spoken directions through the speaker system. ( I drove a girlfriend’s 2006 and the GPS was useless with the top down)

Additionally, I’m interested in replacing the stock rear fascia with a center outlet diffuser fascia from Norms fiberglass. If anyone has installed this item I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you and I look forward to “meeting” others who appreciate this great car

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
can't help with the gps but the diffuser from norms is the greatest

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Even with the GPS run through the speakers, you may still have problems with understanding it, top down. I would suggest a bluetooth earpiece should be a lot more intelligible.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I tried a couple of GPSs from friends before I got mine. I didn't like the screen display on the TomTom but the Garmin was more user friendly and better display, so I bought the Garmin. I have the volume set at 30%, it can get pretty loud if I crank it up. The screen back ground changes depending on the amount of sun light. I have the coupe, so the top down thing I can't say much. I stick mine to the windshield when I use it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone.... I appreciate the time you all took for a reply. I'm from Florida, lots of top down time

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Not to scare you, but if you have one of the first Solstice with only 721 miles on it, you may want to have the differential pinion seal replaced. That is the only early recall on the models built before 08'. Should still be covered under warranty because it's a recall issue.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Welcome LM. Devil makes a good point re: pinion seal recall. Not a major issue but should have it checked out. That will give the dealer a chance to print a history (lol - if there IS any) of what's been done on the vehicle.

Can't help on the GPS - don't use one. (At least yet.)

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
The car is a great find. you will love it.

Many of the early cars had differential vent issues, along with the pinion seal. Also if its limited slip, they frequently needed the special additive to treat chattering.

Also there were many issues with the early cats that resulted in an extended warranty on them. Keep an eye on that.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Welcome, it'd be worth a visit to a GM dealer to have them run you're VIN to see if the recall on the pinion seal was ever performed. If it was never done, it should be a free of any charge operation, and it should be done, especially if it is an early 2006 car.

Good luck, enjoy driving it, and have fun! :dthumbs:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once again, thanks to all and the Pinion Seal was done at the dealership almost immediately (carfax) The girlfriend's Solstice I mentioned was a first 1000 model & had a pinion seal issue, the top latch failed & the passenger door handle popped off. I hoping not to experience those issues.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Once again, thanks to all and the Pinion Seal was done at the dealership almost immediately (carfax) The girlfriend's Solstice I mentioned was a first 1000 model & had a pinion seal issue, the top latch failed & the passenger door handle popped off. I hoping not to experience those issues.
My first 1000 was already on its second differential when the pinion seal recall was issued. I haven't had any other real issues with it, a couple of real minor adjustments / minor repairs. Everything covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I have an in dash Garmin/Kenwood and its audible is quite good, even topless on the highway.

I have Norms front and rear fascias and they fit like a glove and are easy to install. Only issue is that the fibreglass isn't as robust as plastic, so road debris talkes it's toll. I got 30,000 miles out of mine before I felt they needed re-paint. After re-paint, I covered the front fascia with clear bra.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Good find and welcome to the forum! I look forward to your posts. Get ready for the stares from the little kids....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! To DaveOC.. yes, glad yours was under warranty as my girlfriend’s Solstice differential was replaced by the dealer @ 5K as well. King-Oka, great feedback however what is your indash Garmin/Kenwood model number. Also, did you install the center exhaust or dual outlet. Thanks Bellaverde.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Thanks! To DaveOC.. yes, glad yours was under warranty as my girlfriend’s Solstice differential was replaced by the dealer @ 5K as well. King-Oka, great feedback however what is your indash Garmin/Kenwood model number. Also, did you install the center exhaust or dual outlet. Thanks Bellaverde.
Lovmysol,
Please look at the garage tab under my avatar for details. Kenwood DNX6990HD and Dual center exhaust

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I have an early 06 model with the rearend clunk and I didnt know I could go to the deler and have them pull up the history and surely thought the free repair would have expired. My son had an 05 frontier and I got a letter to take it in because of a sending unit in the tank. when I got there, they said it had expired and wanted $700 to fix it. Gave him the middle finger and the car never had a problem. Back on the recall though, any info you can pass along would be greatly appreciated. I did see a car fax report for mibe online but I didn;t get a report when I bought it. bummer.

Charlie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since I just purchased a 2006 with 7,400 miles this weekend, is the seal something I should have checked out as well? Is there a way to see what recalls if any apply or can be fixed? Thanks, John

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
Hi,
Take your car to any GM dealer and ask them to pull a maintenance history report from their internal computer system. Its GM wide so any maintenance that has been done at any GM dealer will show up. This includes the date and state where the car was placed in service as well as every recall that is due or has been performed already.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts