Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see my dealer today and he called the dealer business office for me to see where the heck my car was.

As some background if you haven't seen my other posts, my car was built on 7/27, shipped 8/7 according to the invoice or 8/10 according to the VOM system. Expected delivery 8/21.

As of today, it is sitting at the railyard in Lordstown, OH waiting for a rail car to Birmingham, AL. The guy at the business office tried to call the rail station to see if it's actually been sent to Birmingham yet but couldn't get a hold of anyone. He marked it "HOT" and said he would follow up Monday (he will be out tomorrow) or we can try to call back tomorrow and speak to someone else.

The VOM system said it was unloaded from a rail car on 8/15...so I guess it's been sitting in OH for 10 days?!?! I guess I will definitely have to clay bar it when it gets here to remove all of the rail dust! I figure at this point it would take it at least a couple of days to Birmingham (once it's actually on the rail car) and then a couple of more days to Tallahassee on a truck...so basically the end of next week at the earliest.

I could see if the car hadn't been made yet (I can fully understand production issues/glitches in a new model) or I could even understand maybe if it was still sitting at the plant like #7....maybe it has a flaw they are trying to correct. But to be sitting in a rail yard for 10 days in the middle of shipment? Seems pretty excessive to me!

Oh well...I really don't want to come across as one of the whiney, impatient people on the board so I'll shut up now. Only good thing is now I won't be expecting the call from my dealer any minute that the car is here since I know it must be at least a week away. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hear you... check my post about email from dealer today... "Rubbing salt into..." :(

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
...just wondering :banghead:

These issues with cars sitting for days and days in railyards does seem curious :skep: I wonder if the overwhelming response to GMs 'employee pricing' promotion has caused extra vehicle shipments that are slowing down Solstice deliveries.

Damn ordinary cars :brentil: isn't enough that they take up space on 'our' freeways and drive up the price of gas for truly worthy cars - like the Solstice :thumbs:

·
Registered
535 Posts
C5Vette said:
I went to see my dealer today and he called the dealer business office for me to see where the heck my car was.

As some background if you haven't seen my other posts, my car was built on 7/27, shipped 8/7 according to the invoice or 8/10 according to the VOM system. Expected delivery 8/21.

As of today, it is sitting at the railyard in Lordstown, OH waiting for a rail car to Birmingham, AL. The guy at the business office tried to call the rail station to see if it's actually been sent to Birmingham yet but couldn't get a hold of anyone. He marked it "HOT" and said he would follow up Monday (he will be out tomorrow) or we can try to call back tomorrow and speak to someone else.

The VOM system said it was unloaded from a rail car on 8/15...so I guess it's been sitting in OH for 10 days?!?! I guess I will definitely have to clay bar it when it gets here to remove all of the rail dust! I figure at this point it would take it at least a couple of days to Birmingham (once it's actually on the rail car) and then a couple of more days to Tallahassee on a truck...so basically the end of next week at the earliest.

I could see if the car hadn't been made yet (I can fully understand production issues/glitches in a new model) or I could even understand maybe if it was still sitting at the plant like #7....maybe it has a flaw they are trying to correct. But to be sitting in a rail yard for 10 days in the middle of shipment? Seems pretty excessive to me!

Oh well...I really don't want to come across as one of the whiney, impatient people on the board so I'll shut up now. Only good thing is now I won't be expecting the call from my dealer any minute that the car is here since I know it must be at least a week away. Good luck to the rest of you guys!
Hey, I would be willing to go over to Lordstown and drive the car down for you. I promise I won't scratch it! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
MAKsys said:
...just wondering :banghead:

These issues with cars sitting for days and days in railyards does seem curious :skep: I wonder if the overwhelming response to GMs 'employee pricing' promotion has caused extra vehicle shipments that are slowing down Solstice deliveries.

Damn ordinary cars :brentil: isn't enough that they take up space on 'our' freeways and drive up the price of gas for truly worthy cars - like the Solstice :thumbs:
Think a lot of that employee pricing stuff was on dealer lots already?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a friend that worked at one of them rail yards about 20 years ago and it was in the Cleveland area. I wont share any of the stories about cars in the yard just so no one worries. I can only imagine what attention a car like the Solstice will bring in a rail yard. I sure hope I haveen't said too much already.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I have a friend that worked at one of them rail yards about 20 years ago and it was in the Cleveland area. I wont share any of the stories about cars in the yard just so no one worries. I can only imagine what attention a car like the Solstice will bring in a rail yard. I sure hope I haveen't said too much already.
may the curse of the smelly camel....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I have a friend that worked at one of them rail yards about 20 years ago and it was in the Cleveland area. I wont share any of the stories about cars in the yard just so no one worries. I can only imagine what attention a car like the Solstice will bring in a rail yard.
I was thinking the same thing ... I sure hope they're not taking the "scenic route" in offloading the car from one rail car to the connecting train. I feel for you there, C5 ... quality control delays are one thing, but that must be frustrating as hell when there seems to be no good reason.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Sure would be nice to have a plant pickup option. I have seen others (like BMW) offer that option, which included a plant tour. However, I think GM does not want a bunch of impatient Sol fanatics visiting their factory. ;) I can see it now ... guys would be in tents, several days in advance (like another Woodstock). :willy:

I believe that the new AL Hyundai plant will be offering a plant tour option, in the near future.

·
Registered
233 Posts
C5Vette said:

Ditto here.....My car was taken off the train in Birmingham on Monday. It was built 8/5 and with delivery date of 8/18.. My dealer tried to call and get the eta but couldn't get any answers. I'm only 1.15hrs away and was told it could take possibly 2 days to get here. :( ,but they still hadn't gotten to do a quality inspection on it, so who knows when it will arrrive. C5Vette, hang in there. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
ateam_77 said:
Custom paint job for your car applied in Lordstown, C5. Hope you like.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Vin 75

My VIN 75 was expected to be delivered on 8/19 but still isn't here. My dealer (who has been great keeping me up to date) called me today to say that the train car it's on broke in Indiana and has been sitting there for at least five days. It's fixed and is now underway.

Incidentally, back in May Excelsior (I think it was Excelsior) asked everyone to guess their own delivery date to put on The List. Not many people responded but I did. My guess? August 19. Man that would have been so nice.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My car is lost on the road somewhere too. According to the invoice, it was to be delivered by 8/24 at the latest. Still not here today. I hope GM cuts us some slack on the warrantee when my engine starts blowing oil at 20k because everyone from Wilmington to here has tested the 0-60 times on my new, unbroken in engine before I ever got it! When cars are being handed over to customers with 30 + miles on them you have to wonder.

·
Registered
994 Posts
This really just isn't right!

GM needs to do a better job of getting the cars out. If they can't get them to the buyer in a reasonable time, they need to offer a pick up option.

·
Registered
456 Posts
AeroDave said:
My car is lost on the road somewhere too. According to the invoice, it was to be delivered by 8/24 at the latest. Still not here today. I hope GM cuts us some slack on the warrantee when my engine starts blowing oil at 20k because everyone from Wilmington to here has tested the 0-60 times on my new, unbroken in engine before I ever got it! When cars are being handed over to customers with 30 + miles on them you have to wonder.
And just where did you get this information?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
AeroDave said:
Let's see, 1/4 mile at a time with cooldown 1/4, drive back to starting line and you've got a full mile, therefore only 31 1/4's on your 21 mile car, NOT the whole plant, unless only 31 people are working there. :lol: Which reminds me of a job recommendation I once heard "He put in a full day the three years he was employed here."

I wonder,too, where the miles are coming from and is everybody seeing over 30 miles at delivery/

·
Registered
462 Posts
C5Vette said:

C5Vette,
Have you heard anymore news? Do you have your car yet? :willy:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.