Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the call from the dealer right as we landed from a week long trip, the words is VIN 296 is here but the dealer principle wants us to look the car over as there are signs of swirl marks on the left door and quarter and the fact that the inner wheelhouse on thre same side does not appear to be fitting correctly. The dealer principle is very leery to do anything to the car until we've inspected it more closely - together. He has had his body shop manager go over it and he'll have recommendations in the morning.

My wife is just sick over the fact that it sounds like body or paint work was done (??) and not very well according to the dealers description (compound evident, swirls on the door and rear qtr., wheelhouse fit problem rear qtr., etc.) Do recall that this is one of these marathon transit cars being built on 8/10 and just arriving 9/22. i do recall reading about some rework and some mention of paint, looks like her car was possibly one of that group...

Did something happen up at Wilmington that no one is talking about? Should it be time for a call to the Pontiac HQ or Solstice HQ to discuss further? I'm planning on going in first thing in the AM to inspect the area in question.

What would you guys do? We've been waiting on this car 5 1/4 months, sure hate to start it out with doing redo paint work right off. Any thoughts please let me know.

Thanks, TJ

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it until you see it. If you're really disatisfied after you see it, and you don't approve of the dealers solution, take it up with GM and see what remedy they come up with.
If all else fails, send it my way. I will take it regardless (I used to be a bodyman so I'm not worried about a few problems). :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmmmmmm..........

I smell a rat. Something fishy is going on. That time period you mentioned from 8-10 thru 9-22 is suspect...... :brentil: Hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm tending to come down on your side Editguy and ir really will depend on what the condition is, etc.

I'm going to bed, we'll have a look tomorrow and go from there!

Thanks for weighing in guys...
TJ

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
TJ, look her over real good. Make sure you are satisfied that the finish will last. A factory painted car should have zero evidence of handwork between the factory applied basecoat/clearcoat. Polishing or wax application before arrival at dealership is usually unheard of. Even at relative low price of car it should be delivered to your satisfaction, or arrangements in place to correct flaws.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
achieftain said:
TJ, look her over real good. Make sure you are satisfied that the finish will last. A factory painted car should have zero evidence of handwork between the factory applied basecoat/clearcoat. Polishing or wax application before arrival at dealership is usually unheard of. Even at relative low price of car it should be delivered to your satisfaction, or arrangements in place to correct flaws.
I'm with you AChieftan, altho not being an experienced body guy I'll be challenged to determine what was handwork / rework and not. The whole aspect of this just makes this more difficult than it needs to be.

I'm due over at the dealer when they open this mornig and the dealer principal the body shop mgr and I are all going to have a good old fashion prayer meeting over this while looking the affected area over. :brentil:

I'll be able to determine at that point what has transpired (or not.)

<<Sigh>> I just wish that this wouldn't have been such a hassle...takes the fun out of new car buying! :willy:

Thanks, TJ

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Hope it works out if not get GM involved ASAP.

·
Registered
819 Posts
TJ,

Sounds like your trip ended on a very bitter sweet note!! It sounds like the dealer is really trying to do it right, though. I have to give them credit for that. Good luck with getting things right.

·
Registered
193 Posts
TJ,

What was the final outcome of your car?

·
Registered
148 Posts
keep us posted......sounds like dark paints could be having a problem from many of the recent threads....curious and concerned :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delay guys, golf outing yesterday afternoon...

Met with the dealer principle yesterday morning and inspected the car, two issues, the left rear quarter had seen paint work and there was a dimple in the same quarter panel - very slight about the size of a dime. The other issue was that the same quarter panel inner fender well wheelhouse was not fitting correctly - reads flush with the fenderwell lip.

After inspection and discussion with the bodyshop mgr we agreed on his use of a paintless dent removal process to address the dimple and a combination of clay bar, buffing and final finish to get the overspray off of the adjoining areas of the car and to take care of minor finish imperfections.

The results were great - dimple gone, overspray is history and finish looks like a million bucks, wheelhouse retaining screws tightened - its now time for the Zaino process to begin!

Delivery experience in a new thread - it's playing in Peoria! :yesnod:
TJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tgadoury said:
have you used zaino on dark paints and been satisfied with the results
What you guys don't know is that I'm a Vette guy and this is where I was introduced to Zaino. I use this on my yellow '03 Z06, my Dark red metallic Yukon XL and soon on my wife's Deep Sol. The fact of the matter is Zaino was made for dark colors, blacks and dark blues look to be a mile deep after many coats of Zaino. Best show car level finish and endorsed/used by many in the Vette community. These guys are the pickiest people on the planet I might add! :yesnod:

I think if you have any color Sol, Zaino will improve it's high gloss finish with a much better polish and shine with a longer endurance, let alone the spot detail products available to complement the polish. :cool:

Follow this thread: www.zainostore.com
Enjoy!
TJ

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
After I read your thread, and some others about quality concerns, it prompts me further to take a very close look at my car, once it finally gets here that is. It was sitting around Wilmington since the middle of July. As it was one of the early line cars (No. 23) I am doubly concerned over initial quality, and especially after what appears to have happened to the 25! Given my customer relationship with my dealer I am not overly worried about getting any fit and finnish issues ultimately resloved. But, it goes back to earlier discussions that is so many cars were held so long at the plant for quality holds than why weren't these things addressed and fixed? Oh, I feel a rant coming on.......

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ok, I have just one more question for you. When do I get to see your new ride? ;)

·
Registered
819 Posts
TJ,

I am sooo glad you got the items on your car corrected by the dealer. Knowing you were a vette guy, I knew things like this would be a major concern, and you would see to it that all was taken care of before you took ownership of the car. I hope you have found everything else with the car acceptable. I hope your wife enjoyed her first Solstice cruise!! Congrats, and wish youmany more years of Solstice driving enjoyment!!

By the way, how was your golf outing? I played in one Friday, also. I had a great time, and our team played exceptionally well. Hope yours did as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ojohnson said:
Ok, I have just one more question for you. When do I get to see your new ride? ;)
When do you want to come over Ojohnson? How far away are you? Crawdad do you want to join up with O too?

Let me know guys!
TJ

·
Registered
193 Posts
I live just outside the Quad Cities area on the Iowa side. Any weekend is good for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts