Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm from Brazil and have recently bought an '06 2.4 manual Solstice with less than 8000 miles int it.

Turns out our country's ridiculous bureaucracy has me in a bind. I can't seem to be able to transfer the title without fixing an issue with the car - it has no VIN sticker in the passenger doorjamb (anti-theft sticker style) as required of all cars sold in Brazil since the '80's. The thing is these stickers were not checked and demanded of the first buyer when the car was independently imported into our country.

Usually the carmakers are responsible for sending new stciekrs to the DMV if your car happens to have lost the original (due to a paint job or because a carwash might have damaged the sticker). I have contacted GM Brazil through my local Chevy dealer, and GMB has washed their hands since they are not the ones who imported the car.

I wonder if the Solstice does have any of such stickers anywhere? Or, whether I could can get GM USA to have the stickers sent (eg. by international mail or Fedex) to our local DMV so that I could solve this?

I found many websites that claim to sell such stickers, but am not sure they are legit. The sticker they offer which would be most similar to what is required here is the so-called "anti-theft" sticker:

By the way. Below is a sample of the sticker that usually comes in official GMB vehicles. Many shady local "ebay" sellers offer these stickers but the DMV was adamant to say it has to be sent to them from the carmaker directly, otherwise it is a counterfeiting crime.

Any help is appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check under the door that's where mine is. Those stickers should be present on certain body parts on the car already. I know on the bottom of each door and behind each front fender it has those stickers as well as the hood and trunk. I haven't pulled off other body parts to verify, but those are present on my 2008.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
The VIN plate at the windshield isn't good enough?

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
also... what you are wanting is not an anti theft sticker. You are looking for the certification sticker. it is going to look like this.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for the quick replies!

Check under the door that's where mine is. Those stickers should be present on certain body parts on the car already. I know on the bottom of each door and behind each front fender it has those stickers as well as the hood and trunk. I haven't pulled off other body parts to verify, but those are present on my 2008.
I had a look and didn't find it, though maybe it would be under the door sill plastic thing, should I remove it to find the sticker?

The VIN plate at the windshield isn't good enough?
Unfortunately no. They check this plate too, plus the engine compartment sticker and the door jamb sticker. (most manufacturers also keep the practice of putting a third sticker on the front passenger floorpan too, as it was once required).

also... what you are wanting is not an anti theft sticker. You are looking for the certification sticker. it is going to look like this.
In fact our door jamb stickers look a lot like the anti-theft one (check some other examples below) . The important thing is that they contain the VIN's last 8 digits and that they are applied at the factory or when replaced, be sent from the manufacturer directly to the DMV so they know the stickers are authentic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On mine, it's on the bottom of the door between the plastic interior door panel panel and the weatherstripping. View attachment 111953
WHOA! That is the exact one I need. Never thought to look under the door! It differs somewhat from our regulations but maybe, just maybe, they will let is pass.

Thank you so much for the invaluable help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Steve, is yours a Sky or an Opel GT (I gleaned that from your interior).

Mine is a Solstice, 2006. My passenger door doesn't have the sticker 😢
Mine is a Sky. I’m the third owner so I don’t have the window sticker to confirm, but it’s possible mine may have had an anti-theft package included. Like I said I have those stickers on all of the body pieces of the car. Trunk lid, hood, doors, and behind the front fenders. I haven’t pulled the bumpers, but they most likely have them too. Maybe others will be able to confirm if it’s just me or they have the stickers too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is a Sky. I’m the third owner so I don’t have the window sticker to confirm, but it’s possible mine may have had an anti-theft package included. Like I said I have those stickers on all of the body pieces of the car. Trunk lid, hood, doors, and behind the front fenders. I haven’t pulled the bumpers, but they most likely have them too. Maybe others will be able to confirm if it’s just me or they have the stickers too.
I wonder if I could order these sticker from the dealer that sold my car to the original person who imported the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could also print your own sticker ?
I wish. DMV will only accept a letter straight from the factory/carmaker directly to the DMV's address.
If I print my own sticker and take it to then I'll be admitting to counterfeiting/fraud.

I've found out my car was originally sodl by Ed Morse Automotive Group (found a "get ready" slip inside the manual). I'm in contact with them, hoping 1) I can order the stickers; 2) they will send them over together with a letter printed in their letterhead; 3) DMV will accept if it comes in English and from a dealer instead of GM themselves.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thought you had not visited the DMV yet. So how did the previous owner work around this issue ?
Yeah, if I had suspected this would happen I could have ordered a sticker from some ebay seller and would be all set, sticker would already be there by the time of inspection.

The previous owner was from another state and there the inspectors failed to check for the sticker, they approved the inspection without checking it. Despite having unified federal rules for this, some states are more lenient, but in mine they are a royal pain in the arse.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
’m the third owner so I don’t have the window sticker to confirm, but it’s possible mine may have had an anti-theft package included.
Hey Steve, sorry to ask yet another question. In case it was a factory option, maybe it would have a RPO code? If so it would be listed on the glovebox sticker.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
list of rpo codes

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Steve, sorry to ask yet another question. In case it was a factory option, maybe it would have a RPO code? If so it would be listed on the glovebox sticker.
I don’t know of an RPO code for it, but I’m happy to confirm if I have it if someone is aware of one.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
I don’t know of an RPO code for it, but I’m happy to confirm if I have it if someone is aware of one.
There is no RPO code for the anti theft sticker. According to GM, owners can be prosecuted for removing or painting over existing anti theft stickers (in the US).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
According to GM, owners can be prosecuted for removing or painting over existing anti theft stickers (in the US).
Whoa. Similar to here.

Now, I'm trying to figure if my car's stickers might have been removed (body repaint?) or if the stickers just weren't factory installed. Anybode else doesn't have the VIN stickers? Especially someone who has a car since new?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts