Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a little anxious with all the talk about dealer and vin # s on the board. So I went to my dealer (Large well know reputable dealership in Canada). He tells me and we verified my order that GM does not ship cars with major differences such as interior cloth instead of leather and assures me mine may be late but will be right. As for vin #s I have been watching the amount of delivery value you guys put on vin #. I have been in manufacturing for 30 years and you cannot tune or test a production line using custom orders therefore I have to assume cars are batched by color and/or option until the line is up to speed. Also my dealer expects to have his first solstice in 2-3 weeks. Canada is only get 1000 total this year. And non our in the first 1000 vin #s. I will let all now if he gets it. It is my opinion and only derived from the forums I have read and my knowledge of manufacturing. That GM is giving you added value for ordering one of the first 1000. It is nothing to do with build order yes it will be built near the beginning but how near is completely unknown. I would suggest that we open a forum that members can put in there VIN # as well as production date and see if this sheds a little more light on the process although I don’t know if production date can be manipulated as well. Will be interesting to see if my dealer gets a car prior to the first 1000 getting out as it would make sense from a sales point for GM to get a few out across the entire market to stimulate everyone.

If I’m completely out to lunch and someone has better info please feel free to straighten me out

Have a good day shinny side up and the rubber down

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
xyz1 said:
I have been in manufacturing for 30 years and you cannot tune or test a production line using custom orders therefore I have to assume cars are batched by color and/or option until the line is up to speed.
In today's automotive assembly lines options don't seem to make much diference. Most options are either this or that (cloth/leather, standard radio/premium radio). The parts install the same so there is no slow down to the assembly line. Color can be a limit depending on how big the paint shop is.

Many companies even build different models on the same line.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
We have seen from "The List" formulated and hosted by excelsior that timestamp apparently has nothing to do with VIN. We have his basis to work from and additional columns could identify build date or delivery date or any other character that might affect the order. The work is started and may be able to continue with all members cars beyond the F1k, a virtual online registry for archival purposes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
achieftain said:
We have seen from "The List" formulated and hosted by excelsior that timestamp apparently has nothing to do with VIN. We have his basis to work from and additional columns could identify build date or delivery date or any other character that might affect the order. The work is started and may be able to continue with all members cars beyond the F1k, a virtual online registry for archival purposes.
hey guys.. i was building a site to keep track off all of the above mentioned...

but i think that i was slapped on the hand for suggesting so on this forum... if i am mistake.. i would like to build this site and post it on the forum for its users...

all in favour?
yah or nah?
:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sure, might want to make it self-service if possible so you don't get hit doing all the updates.

·
Registered
101 Posts
mceb said:
Sure, might want to make it self-service if possible so you don't get hit doing all the updates.
i agree totally.. that is the plan.. i am making it so the person can update all their information.. keep everyone posted... not sure if i should invest time in making sure that they can't change anyone elses data... but i think we are all mature here and wouldn't do that ;-)

thanks for the yae... i am almost done.. was going to complete on the weekend.. but i must of misunderstood a post to my message.. that made me stop..

should be done in a few days..

i am very interested to know what is going on..

cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts