Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a request for anyone that will be seeing the production cars at any of the North American auto shows this year. See if you can get close enough to record the VIN off the display cars. After members here start to buy them it will be interesting to compare the number of those cars (car show) to those cars that have been bought by forum members. Does GM still use plant, engine, tranny, diff., and color numbers to make up the VIN? If not, what is used today?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Chip said:
...it will be interesting to compare the number of those cars (car show) to those cars that have been bought by forum members. Does GM still use plant, engine, tranny, diff., and color numbers to make up the VIN? If not, what is used today?
The VIN number is made up of all kinds of info baked into it.

I'm hoping we can get access to some tracking system to track our orders. We got a hold of a one when I bought my truck 5 years ago. It was a voice reponse system you fed in the VIN and it would tell you what stage your car was in the process.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
The VIN number is made up of all kinds of info baked into it.

I'm hoping we can get access to some tracking system to track our orders. We got a hold of a one when I bought my truck 5 years ago. It was a voice reponse system you fed in the VIN and it would tell you what stage your car was in the process.
I know a lot fo car companies do this when you order a car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
GM's VIN system for passenger cars goes like this:

Digit
1-country of assembly
2-Manufacturer
3-Division
4-Model
5-Series
6-Body Style
7-Restraint Code
8-Engine Type
9-Check digit
10-Model Year
11-Plant
12-17=Production Sequence Number

Based on what I have, the Solstice VIN should look like this:

1G2MB32B_6Y______

1=U.S. Built
G=GM
2=Pontiac
M=Solstice
B=Trim level
3=Two door convertible
2=Active (Manual) Belts W/Driver & Passenger inflatable restraint system (Frontal) (Could be a 3 if the car has passenger sensing system)
B=LE5 2.4L Ecotec
_=This check digit is random with every VIN#
6=2006 Model Year
Y=Wilmington, DE plant
______=Sequence number

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is good info. to know thanks! Now the question is who will have the lowest sequence # VIN? :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Chip said:
That is good info. to know thanks! Now the question is who will have the lowest sequence # VIN? :thumbs
Actually the most import question is what's my VIN number :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts