Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I decide I wanted silver stripes on my black GXP and the T2 edition stripes with the fade looked great to me. I went to a recommended paint and graphics business and when I showed him pics of the T2 stripes he said he could do them. Looked my car over a bit and said they would be around $800 which seemed pretty high to me. Anyone have experience with having vinyl stripes installed and an approximate price range for comparison? A search online has prices all over the place. Thanks

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If you were to buy the stripes from someone that has the pattern and have someone locally install them I'm sure they would be considerably cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
16,536 Posts
I had my Tacoma partially wrapped. Full hood stipe with flames, side stripes with text and logos, bed side custom logos, and tailgate logo installed was $350. This was for a pickup truck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi. I had a career doing this. The material is not a basic product if you are looking for a fade-out look. The price is slightly high but if you want an expert to do a perfect job then the $800 is somewhat reasonable. I would have done it for about $500. If you really want it then bite the bullet and spend the money.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yeah the fade out look would be the expensive part I would think.

·
Super Moderator
16,536 Posts
They used a custom designed and printed wrap on my truck. They can print anything on it including a fade. The cost is for labor to develop the design and install it and the materials for the printer. A fade is much easier to design and print than realistic flames and custom graphics

·
Registered
118 Posts
It looks like you got the Ming Blue colour, like mine. Personally I wouldn't put stripes on it. That colour makes it look like an exotic European roadster. I get asked all the time, esp since I took the names off the car's rear. It's a classy colour. Stripes moves it into the ' look-at-me' category. But do what ever turns you on. If you ever drive out to BC hit me up. Enjoy your stripes! Would you ever do a woodgrain dash kit? I am thinking about doing that.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Tony does stripes. Here is a link myautographics My T2 stripes weren't cheap. Over $200. And that's one color. If you want something custom, you have to pay. And $800 seems like a reasonable price. Especially if they are putting them on for you. Figure $200 for installation. You have to remember, they are "painting" or printing the color on a clear strip for something that is faded, and getting paint on a vinyl that doesn't fade or eventually come off, isn't cheap. My guess is they would use automotive grade paint. I'm looking at getting into the vinyl business, but I would have straight vinyl, solid colors. My advice, if you do go with something like this, have the vendor also put them on for you no matter the cost. If you screw up putting them on, that's $800+ you're out.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Would you ever do a woodgrain dash kit? I am thinking about doing that.
My father bought his Mustang with a Woodgrain dash kit. You don't want it. Unless it's lifetime warranty from the company. The pieces come off, they fade, they shrink.... Luckily my father has never had this issue. And once they're on, you can't take them off because they destroy the surface underneath.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No. I ordered a wood dash kit about 6 years ago and just wasn't feeling it in the way it would look so I returned it. I just finished hydrodipping my dash in silver carbon fiber so that's there until I tire of it

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Your graphics guy is out of his mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find another shop, they can do it far more reasonable than that. I have three vehicles that are wrapped, my FJ hood and roof. My green car, complete, and the yellow car's hood, rear deck, windshield surround.

I paid 2300 for the complete car. 700 for the yellow car, and I think 1100 for the FJ. Goes by the amount of vinyl they use.

Doing complete areas are much harder than the stripes you want. Corners and wrap arounds are what cause the cost to go up. You are talking a flat sheet. Try another shop.

The fade will be a problem if the car is a daily driver. It is ink on top of vinyl. Will not last as long. Solid means the color is in the vinyl itself, not a coating. It will last longer. The inked stuff tends to fade out quickly, and I imagine that is the reason Tony is only doing solid stripes. Custom stuff is normally protected, so if the car is a garage queen, it will be okay.

I agree the silver stripes on the black will look great!!!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fade will be a problem if the car is a daily driver. It is ink on top of vinyl. Will not last as long. Solid means the color is in the vinyl itself, not a coating. It will last longer. The inked stuff tends to fade out quickly, and I imagine that is the reason Tony is only doing solid stripes. Custom stuff is normally protected, so if the car is a garage queen, it will be okay.
Definitley not a garage queen. He talked about laminating them. I didn't get into the particulars because I really didn't want to spend that much. I will make the rounds of other shops and see what my options are. I thought the fade would look cool but maybe I should stick to something more plain

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I had my stripes applied five years ago and they look like new even now. As has been said, the vinyl that is used is for this application so that it has little to no fade or shrinkage. I had mine installed and while I thought I paid too much at first ($170) the attention these guys paid to getting it right was probably worth the extra money. My one suggestion would be to ensure that you get good quality vinyl.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
As just posted. Quality vinyl is a priority. Buying it on line is not the answer. Going to a graphics shop and asking for the best. I am not sure what is on top of the pile at this time. Most would say a 3M product, but when we did my Green Car, the vinyl came from France, but can not remember the name of the material. Can check with my guy and see what he says is the best. It changes continuously. I have been using the stuff for 25 years on different vehicles. They have come a long long ways. Some of the stuff can actually be buffed. Would never have thought that.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I have a wood grain dash kit on my car for 9 years now with no issues I like the way it looks and it dresses up the interior .I actually purchased 3 one being a carbon fiber that I never used and I ended up selling the other just wasn't sure which look I wanted . As with anything make sure you buy from a reputable dealer and follow the installation instructions especially when you prep it . 004.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
It looks like you got the Ming Blue colour, like mine. Personally I wouldn't put stripes on it. That colour makes it look like an exotic European roadster. I get asked all the time, esp since I took the names off the car's rear. It's a classy colour. Stripes moves it into the ' look-at-me' category. But do what ever turns you on. If you ever drive out to BC hit me up. Enjoy your stripes! Would you ever do a woodgrain dash kit? I am thinking about doing that.
Wood grain cask kit? Now there’s a “look at me” category!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
When I ordered my dash applique sheets I ordered a 1/2 pint (8 oz.) can of "3M primer 94" rather than ordering the same product in the small pen size applicators. It can be used under all 3M tapes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts