Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about hydro dipping blue carbon fiber for my boomerang. I’m not sure how it compares in look and cost to vinyl wrapping.

Anyone done either? Mind to share your experience including cost?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
It all depends on who does it and the material used. when you say vinyl wrap do you mean vinyl fabric or the plastic film?

The boomerang would be challenging to hydro dip because of it's shape. If you want the carbon fiber to come out looking uniform and not stretched at all it is going to have to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. That usually has a higher cost attached to it.

Here is an example of stretching, and just an all around bad dip.

This is a really good job. Notice how there is little to no wavy gravy going on and the pattern is constant.

I looked for some examples for vinyl wrapping (old school) and I kept on coming up with stickers and the vinyl film examples.
Old school is using a fabric backed vinyl and contact glue is used to affix the vinyl to whatever it is that is wanting to be covered. If you look at the arm rest in the Solstice this is vinyl wrapped but not using the vinyl film.

The finished product is very different. The film has no depth to it. It is 2 dimensional. The fabric backed vinyl is thicker, more durable, doesn't scratch and because it is thicker the carbon fiber look to it has depth and looks like it is really woven. The only downside of the fabric backed is the sheen, It is going to be matte until a product like Armor All (this is an example don't even use this specific brand) Is applied to it. The gloss that is gotten is not going to stay and it will dull over time.

hydro dipping is paint, The boomerang is also going to need to be clear coated. Hydro dipping it's self is going to give you a 2 dimensional appearance. depth can be added based on how thick the clear coat is. The thicker it is the deeper it is going to appear. This can be scratched as well but it can be repaired by using rubbing compounds and sanding if the scratch is not too deep.

Vinyl film you will have to get it redone to fix any scratches.

Most durable is old school vinyl wrap. Middle of the road price.
second is hydro dip only if there is a really thick clear coat, other wise it has the same durability as vinyl film. To get done correctly is going to cost. This is the most expensive when done properly.
and on the bottom is vinyl film. Cheapest

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the look of that carbon fiber (second pic). A blue carbon fiber is what I have in mind. The length and width is what would be a challenge and would require it be done at a professional shop because of the size tank it would take. Could a guy get that done with a heavy clear coat for $200?

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Mine is dipped. Worked well and has held up very well for 12 years. I would do it ahsin

the guy who did mine was very good. He did it in teo sections to accommodate the shape.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You would able to get it vinyl film wrapped for 200.00. and you would be on the fence for getting it wrapped in vinyl fabric for the 200.00 because of the amount of material that would need to be used.
You will not get a high quality dip like what is seen in the photo for 200.00. @rob the elder could probably tell you what the cost was 12 years ago. Use that number and double because of inflation.

The trick with dipping and laying a carbon fiber pattern is a really smooth steady hand and a super thick clear coat to give it depth. Dipping a part that large with a carbon fiber pattern is going to have to be done in a large tank. The person doing the work is probably going to have to do it a mess of times before they manage to get it to come out right. It would be either luck or a really seasoned person to dip it once and have it come out right. If it is the latter expect to pay a premium for that person.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hydrodipped mine clear carbon fiber which will then be the color you paint the boomerang. I did mine because I like to learn new skills. I would recommend Liquid Concepts if you want a professional job. I did all the silver interior parts, switch plates, steering wheel control plates, auto shifter, parking brake handle. I'm happy with it but may redo the boomerang.
dash4.jpg

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
@showtime

How many times did you have to dip the thing to get the pattern to come out OK??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hydrodipped mine clear carbon fiber which will then be the color you paint the boomerang. I did mine because I like to learn new skills. I would recommend Liquid Concepts if you want a professional job. I did all the silver interior parts, switch plates, steering wheel control plates, auto shifter, parking brake handle. I'm happy with it but may redo the boomerang.
View attachment 112141
That looks awesome. I have been thinking about doing this but by the time I build a tank big enough for the boomerang I could just pay someone to do it

PS. How close are you to St Louis Mo 😂

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
@Hotrodharry

I am sure you could locate a used fiberglass bathtub for cheap, probably free if you take it away for them. No need to build a tank..

Reactions: Hotrodharry

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
I have a new carbon fiber dash kit and door sill plates for sale if anyone is interested it's springtime and I have a bunch of extra stuff I'm going to be selling .

·
Registered
460 Posts
How many times did you have to dip the thing to get the pattern to come out OK??
Just once. I built a "tank" with 2x4s and a tarp. Not too big because you have to fill it with fairly warm water. I started with smaller pieces such as the key fobs which can all be done in the laundry sink and learned how much activator to use. It's a learning process and while I have no desire to do a lot of it I have enjoyed the hobby.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
This was done with 3M dragon fire red vinyl.

Reactions: Hotrodharry
1 - 14 of 14 Posts