Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the vinyl wrap for the windscreen frame, and the plastic trim behind the seats. I wanted to see if I liked it in black without risking a lot of money. I honestly expected it to look like vinyl, since that's what it is. I'm very surprised how nice it turned out. There's no need to paint it. I like the black, and the vinyl looks great. I highly recommend this for anyone wanting to change the color of these pieces. There's no way I could get it painted to look this nice for the same money. I didn't have time to get it out for better pictures, but here's a few inside the garage. I'll post some better pics later that show the whole car.

I also got the transformer emblems just for fun. These look great. I just need to find a way to make the points stay down when I wash and wax the car. They tend to get caught by anything that rubs over them. I'm going to try some clear fingernail polish, and see if it helps.

Thanks ASAP for the great products!

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Very nice. I have it my Sol as well. Love it!:thumbs:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would vinyl wrap work for covering the big plastic lens covers on the headlights -- other than the front where the light shines out?

I don't want to risk taking the headlights apart -- the baking process some people have used -- but I'd like to do something that would have a similar result. However, instead of black -- as I'd originally been interested in -- I now think matching my car's paint (light silver -- Cool) would be the way to go.

Thanks!

Carey

·
Registered
353 Posts
Love it! Looks like you and I were doing the same thing this weekend. I went with a dark gray with the Midnight/Ming Blue as it matched the gunmetal wheels I have.

(...well, and it's a Sky...)

Carey, if you're going on the Julian run this weekend with the San Diego crowd I'll be there. I baked my headlights, took them apart, and had the silver lenses inside done to match my body color. The process isn't hard and you will be able to see the results. Like you I wanted something different than the black or silver that everyone else had.

·
Super Moderator
16,240 Posts
Would vinyl wrap work for covering the big plastic lens covers on the headlights -- other than the front where the light shines out?

I don't want to risk taking the headlights apart -- the baking process some people have used -- but I'd like to do something that would have a similar result. However, instead of black -- as I'd originally been interested in -- I now think matching my car's paint (light silver -- Cool) would be the way to go.

Thanks!

Carey
You do not need to bake the headlight to take them apart. I used a common heat gun. A hair dryer will work. Just head up the seam for a couple of minutes then use a couple of screwdrivers to pry them apart and its done. Its very easy and since you are only heating the seam, you are not risking damage to any of the headlight lens. When you want to put it back together, just set the two pieces together, heat and then push it back together. The adheasive is reusable with no issues.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Carey, if you're going on the Julian run this weekend with the San Diego crowd I'll be there. I baked my headlights, took them apart, and had the silver lenses inside done to match my body color. The process isn't hard and you will be able to see the results. Like you I wanted something different than the black or silver that everyone else had.
I wasn't aware of that, but if I could get more info and can make it, I'd do my best to do that.

Even if you'd be coming from the north and getting there via HWY 78, I could always come from the south and meet you and the rest of the group in Julian or somewhere else along your route.

If it'd be better to get more info via PM or email to me, vs. here in the forum itself, I'm fine with that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
You do not need to bake the headlight to take them apart. I used a common heat gun. A hair dryer will work. Just head up the seam for a couple of minutes then use a couple of screwdrivers to pry them apart and its done. Its very easy and since you are only heating the seam, you are not risking damage to any of the headlight lens. When you want to put it back together, just set the two pieces together, heat and then push it back together. The adheasive is reusable with no issues.
Thanks, Rob. I don't think I was aware of that option -- which sounds less scary (although if something can be screwed up, I'm the guy who'd do it!).

I'd probably still want to change from the shiny silver to the silver paint that would match my car's color anyway, but one reason I'd like to do so is that my efforts at removing the cloudy discoloring of the lens covers resulted in an improvement, but still left them -- one more so than the other -- with some noticable cloudiness that painting them would (I think/I hope) make unnoticable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There is a guy on Ebay who sells a fiberglass cover that you can paint to match your car they are listed as Solstice Eyelids and run 75bucks a pair
Thanks! I was aware of those eyelid things -- but unsure of what I think they'd look like. From what I recall, I got the impression that they'd be a lot more obvious than I'd be happy with -- something on top of the existing lens covers instead of being able to paint the shiny silver area that's UNDER the lens cover to match my car.

I figured a vinyl covering would be thinner than a hair while the eyelids would be much thicker and thus far more obvious as something added to/stuck onto the lens covers.

But I'm gonna check them out!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that a swede wrapped boomerang (and the little plastic pieces on the steering wheel for the controls)? If so, where did you get that done, I like it :)

It is. I did it myself. I learned how to wrap things about 8 years ago from a friend who owns a high end car audio shop. It started out as headliners, then morphed into anything we could wrap. Those techniques pay off doing the vinyl too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ebay fiberglass headlight covers

I have the fiberglass ones from ebay, I would be happier with them if my paint guy could ever finish a job....still needs to be wet sand and buffed a month later..maybe why he hasnt gotten paid yet.....anyways pictures!
From ebay, comes with primer coat.

Front photo, no editing

A little bit of filter on this one

I dont have any top shots. Mine didnt get placed perfetly so there is a little gap on the sides but nothing really bad

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
I went through stages with the fiberglass eyelids, so here are photos and you can compare which you might like best! ;)

First the original headlights with the eyelids. Then I put in HID projectors and painted the insides while I was at it (no eyelids). Finally I put the eyelids back on - liked the 'meaner' look:

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
Was just about ready to post this, definitely my fav, though I'm also digging the body colored painted bezels (w/no eyelid covers). Getting rid of the plastic chrome is the key for an integrated look.

[/QUOTE]

There's also Plastic Dip:

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sol & Soup:

Thank you! Your photos are sooooo much better than the couple the guy who sells the eyelids has in his eBay listings!!!!

So good that my concern about how much they stick up and how they'd actually look is now 100% gone.

A few questions:
* How are the eyelids attached to the clear lens covers?
* I assume there's no disassembly of the headlights required -- that the eyelids simpy go over (on top of) the lens covers?
* I know they come primered -- but what color is the primer? Is it black (and if so, is it flat black?)? The first photo in Sol's post is blurry (I'd love to see a better photo!), but I assume it shows the eyelid as it looked when it arrived?

Thanks again for these excellent photos. My interest level has just jumped a LOT.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Some thoughts : Very nice job on the wrap I was going to have my stuff painted and after talking to my painter he said that to do it properly the windshield would have to come out Rob who had both his cars painted confirmed this . I got a little nervous at that point so I ended up getting the carbon fiber wrap from Tony and I'm having JN2 make up a set of door handle covers so everything will match and am thinking about him making up a set of carbon fiber headlight covers .I did the oven cleaner chrome strip after reading about it on the forum (a lot cheaper then shelling out 500 bucks for Street Edition lights ) and I must say that it was easy and the results look as nice as the factory set .You just need to take your time and read the directions a few times and if you have a misses in the house make sure she is not home when you pop the headlight housings in the oven :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Chop:

Thanks to you, too. Your post appeared, unbeknownst to me, while I was composing my post -- and I only saw it after adding mine.

I'd called Plasti-Dip (actually I think it was Dip My Car) yesterday to see which of their paints would best match my light silver (Cool) 2006 NA, and while they wouldn't really tell me, they said Aluminum was probably the most likely to come the closest (not quite their exact words, which I don't remember exactly).

It looks like your color match is perfect on the orange-red car, but less so on the dark grey one. Is that correct?

Do I understand this correctly:
* On the orange-red car, you've painted the underside of the lens cover -- or painted over the "chromed plastic"? and
* On the dark grey car, you've used Plasti-Dip, not paint? If so, did you put it on the underside of the lens cover or over the "chromed plastic"?
* NEITHER car has eyelids? One has paint and the other has Plasti-Dip -- both of which are "painted" onto the original parts of the car, not onto eyelids?

Thanks again. I'll be saving all of the photos in the last three posts as soon as I post this message!

Was just about ready to post this, definitely my fav, though I'm also digging the body colored painted bezels (w/no eyelid covers). Getting rid of the plastic chrome is the key for an integrated look.

There's also Plastic Dip:

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
If you are thinking about painting your eyelids T.S .turned me onto this company AutomotiveTouchup .com their products are a perfect match ,basecoat clearcoat system and are reasonably priced I used it for a lease car that I was turning in with great results.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts