Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Give Tomato Soup credit for the orange car, that's his car, and it looks super.

Don't know who owns the grey car, but as you can see Plastic Dip color choices are limited. However, Plastic Dip can literally be peeled off if you don't like it, or get tired of it, want to change to another color, or peel it off and go back to original finish.

Also have the ASAP black windshield/tulip panel on my black car 2.4. BTW, the more you polish the vinly the more it will begin looking like paint. Paint wise I was quoted $800 dollars to paint windshield/tulip panel.

I'm still thinking of HIDS, but now that LED headlight conversion are coming out I'm thinking about those too.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
It looks like your color match is perfect on the orange-red car, but less so on the dark grey one. Is that correct?

Do I understand this correctly:
* On the orange-red car, you've painted the underside of the lens cover -- or painted over the "chromed plastic"? and
* On the dark grey car, you've used Plasti-Dip, not paint? If so, did you put it on the underside of the lens cover or over the "chromed plastic"?
* NEITHER car has eyelids? One has paint and the other has Plasti-Dip -- both of which are "painted" onto the original parts of the car, not onto eyelids?
For my Brazen (Tomato soup-colored car :)), re-read my post: Brazen eyelids -- shows 3 photos: First the original headlights with the eyelids. Second is painted chrome insides with HID projectors and Third with the eyelids back on.

All cases are finished with body-color-matching base paint plus clearcoat rattle cans from Automotivetouchup.

In answer to your other question, the eyelids come painted in matt black primer - but that's not a good enough finish to use alone. You'll HAVE to paint them as well

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks, TS (duh for me not realizing that your screen name was connected to the similarity in color of your car and that of Tomato soup!).

In my haste to get to a meeting, my last post asked at least one question that -- after reading your reply and re-reading my post -- I'd have never asked if I hadn't been in a hurry, because you'd clearly indicated (and I was aware that) that two of the photos you posted showed your car with eyelids.

Sorry about that.

I haven't gotten a reply yet to an email I sent the seller of the eyelids, so I'd like to ask a question or two here:

1. How thick are the eyelids? I'm just wondering how much they stick up above the height of the clear lens covers they go over/on top of?

2. How are they attached to the existing clear lens covers?

Knowing the chances of me screwing something up if I try to separate the headlights from the lens covers, it'd be worth the $75 for the eyelids and whatever a can of spray paint would cost to paint them to match my car -- and as I said earlier, thanks to the photos that have been posted here, I can tell that I'd have no problem with how they'd look on my car (which I couldn't really tell from the photo the seller uses in his eBay listings).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Carey, you're in So Cal and the guy that plasti dipped my parts is up here in Murrieta. He can custom mix colors and his prices are very reasonable. A couple shots of the work:

You can see here how close he can color match your paint with plastidip.

This is the same color as the headlights but a little easier to see the color in this picture.

And here is an idea of his finish. It looks even better in person.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks, TS (duh for me not realizing that your screen name was connected to the similarity in color of your car and that of Tomato soup!).

In my haste to get to a meeting, my last post asked at least one question that -- after reading your reply and re-reading my post -- I'd have never asked if I hadn't been in a hurry, because you'd clearly indicated (and I was aware that) that two of the photos you posted showed your car with eyelids.

Sorry about that.

I haven't gotten a reply yet to an email I sent the seller of the eyelids, so I'd like to ask a question or two here:

1. How thick are the eyelids? I'm just wondering how much they stick up above the height of the clear lens covers they go over/on top of?

2. How are they attached to the existing clear lens covers?

Knowing the chances of me screwing something up if I try to separate the headlights from the lens covers, it'd be worth the $75 for the eyelids and whatever a can of spray paint would cost to paint them to match my car -- and as I said earlier, thanks to the photos that have been posted here, I can tell that I'd have no problem with how they'd look on my car (which I couldn't really tell from the photo the seller uses in his eBay listings).
The eyelids are really thin, my paint guy didn't want to wet sand then because he was afraid of cracking them.
I attached mine with 3M double sized tape just onto the top of the lens. We loosened the screws holding the HL in place because it was a tight fit.

Side note: I can't see the Eyelids from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks to everyone who posted comments and photos in response to my inquiry about whether vinyl wrap would work on the headlights -- and my apology for inadvertently turning this thread into one about headlights and eyelids!

From what I've seen and read (but especially SEEN -- thanks to some great photos), I now have NO question as to whether or not I'd like the look of eyelids painted the same color as my car. That's a definite YES!

Carey

·
Registered
174 Posts
Glad to be of help! Just might sure you find a good paint guy/company

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,732 Posts
Is that a swede wrapped boomerang (and the little plastic pieces on the steering wheel for the controls)? If so, where did you get that done, I like it :)
JPM wrapped my boomerang in Alcantara (can see a bit in this pic)

·
Registered
204 Posts
JPM wrapped my boomerang in Alcantara (can see a bit in this pic)

Wow, this photo has given me an idea!

It seems like a LOT of us agree that seeing the guages -- most especially the DIC display (at least for me) -- is HARD, especially during the day.

I wonder if a magnifying glass (preferrably plastic vs. glass) that would fit in the tunnel(s) in which the guages are set pretty deeply would work?

The two outer tunnels appear to be the same diameter as each other, with the gas guage tunnel being much smaller.

I'm wondering if a magnifying glass smaller in diameter than the tunnels -- smaller by enough so that the glass/plastic lens would be recessed part of the way down the tunnel -- and pressed down into the tunnel(s) would work?

Since I pay close enough attention to my fuel level, and can see the speedometer and tach plenty well enough now, it's really just the DIC I'd like to be able to see -- so I could set it to Coolant Temperature (in particular) and be able to notice if it was too high before driving miles that way.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts