Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek Use Google to find sites containing info on Volkswagen's new Concept R. A 265 hp mid-6 cylinder engine in a nice roadster package. It's a good thing that this concept has not been announced for production or we would all have another decision to make. :rolleyes

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I thought that they were going to produce this roadster. Maybe I misread something. I think it will be priced well above the Solstice however, more in the S2000 range. So it would likely be priced beyond the range of people who are considering the Solstice. Still, I would like to have the dilema of having to decide! :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two sites I looked at talked about the Concept R as just that, a concept. But a base price of $25,000 was mentioned. A more thorough investigation would undoubtedly reveal more info. Nice looking, innovative cockpit, big engine, luggage space (forward) and a reasonable price makes the Concept R appealing don't you think?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Appealing?

the concept R (so much for the Saturn R as a name, huh?) is a blatant ripoff of the Solstice. It came out a year after the Solstice and even copies the "double humps".

You too can buy the hype, but there is no way to produce a mid engine V6 for the mid-20's.

From USA today, 2003: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-09-15-show_x.htm

"Concept R foreshadows a roadster or compact sports car that would compete with the Porsche Boxster but likely be priced lower, perhaps in the low-$30,000 range."

And they are either stripping out all the hi-tech crap or they are actually going to sell it for $40,000, if they build it at all. The info from VW on the Concept R reads like an April Fool's joke - I'm surprised they didn't claim it ran on pigsh*t and garbage... with "filled for life" tires...

"self sprung seats"? Gimme a break. That's not new technology. They've been on TRUCKS for decades...

They must have been working on the concept R at the same time Vauxhall was working on the VX Lightning. BUT the Lightning was SUPPOSED to be styled similar to the Solstice in shape and size, with the angular look.

As Maximum Bob said: "The world does not need another $40,000 roadster".

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too searched Google for this. The article I found had pics and talked it up, but then near the end said that the R wasn't going to be built but that a C would be. The C pics showed a 4 seater. The pricing target was to have the lowest priced foldable hard top on the market...

More hype?

I'll believe it when I see them on the roads...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't think that VW can build that car for $25,000. I don't think they can build it for $32,000. VWs are not inexpensive. Like Porsches, if you want any options at all they start to get very expensive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
VW wants to be upscale. I'd say they're shooting to be in league with the likes of the Cadillac XLR, Mercedes SL-Class and Lexus SC 430. Definately not what I'm looking for.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
dls6774 said:
VW wants to be upscale. I'd say they're shooting to be in league with the likes of the Cadillac XLR, Mercedes SL-Class and Lexus SC 430. Definately not what I'm looking for.
I don't think they will get that pricey with it, but they are certainly trying to take their brand up market. The VW/Audi strategy is to position Audi directly against BMW, and VW against Mercedes Benz. With that in mind, I would expect a Concept R to cost in the range of the Mercedes SLK roadster, or essentially $40's. Maybe it would start lower in the $30's such as the Mercedes based Chrysler Crossfire. However, I don't see them even wanting to play in the $25K market whether or not they could. Heck, the new Golf R32 is nearly $30K and its based on an architecture that has long been paid for. They just dropped in an Audi Quattro AWD system and V6 engine.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Solstice looks way better than the Concept R. So does the Lightning. No way VW will be pricing that near 20k. Anybody who buys a VW and thinks that they are getting something near a Mercedes is kidding themselves. VW trying to go upscale and compete with Mercedes and Lexus will bankrupt them. Who is going to buy 50 to 70k "peoples car"? Even if VW released Concept R at the same time and price of Solstice, which I doubt, it's no contest, I'm sticking with Solstice. It just looks better and I don't trust VW any more than GM for quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts