Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in a car magazine the other day (though I do not remember which one) that Saturn now plans on producing the British VX Lightning. For those who do not know about this car, the VX lightning is the successor to the Vauxhaul (spelling) VX220 which was based on the Lotus Elise platform. The VX lightning will be produced on the Kappa platform. It is a 2 seater like the solstice - only with sharper and more aggressive styling. I am guessing Saturn will have to change the name of the car, but the company plans to keep the styling of the car very similar to the concept.

Cool.

-Whit

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was shocked to read this this past weekend as well. I absolutely love the Lightning concept car and if Saturn keeps true to the concept's design, I will definitely own one.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That's the plan (for now). There are some other threads on the topic if you are interested.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Vx220 is essentially a rebadged Opel Speedster, and your right that both are based on the Elise platform. But be careful, a Saturn VX Lightning will be kappa based, which means it will have nothing in common with that Lotus.

It will be interesting to see what the finalized version of the Saturn car will look like. As the did with the Solstice, I think they will keep the styling very close to the concept cars, although I bet they remove the union jack emblem from the side! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
WPG said:
I was shocked to read this this past weekend as well. I absolutely love the Lightning concept car and if Saturn keeps true to the concept's design, I will definitely own one.
I was hoping they would do this, if this is true, I will take one too, did the article say when will it be on the market?

·
Registered
7 Posts
gmmerc5 said:
did the article say when will it be on the market?
I think the article I read said it would be a 2006 model. I would think then it could possibly be in showrooms next year (?). I am ready to buy when Saturn is ready to build. I can't believe I am actually excited about buying a Saturn.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
WPG said:
I think the article I read said it would be a 2006 model. I would think then it could possibly be in showrooms next year (?). I am ready to buy when Saturn is ready to build. I can't believe I am actually excited about buying a Saturn.
Hard to tell which model year because it's kind of sketchy but some accounts have said Solstice and then Saturn the following year.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
Hard to tell which model year because it's kind of sketchy but some accounts have said Solstice and then Saturn the following year.
This is what I have been seeing for the most part too. Since the Solstice will be available in 2005 as a 2006 model year vehicle, I would assume that would place the Saturn available in 2006 and it will be a 2007 model year vehicle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
mceb said:
2006 is good, give the plant a chance to work out the manufacturing bugs, and may be give GM a chance to monitors how consumers like the Solstice, and to see is there a demand for a more powerful engine, I like to see a 250 HP engine with 6 speed stick. I can't wait.

Do you know where can I get a look at the interior and the exterior of the car, I saw the car on car show (TV) but that was a while back.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
gmmerc5 said:
2006 is good, give the plant a chance to work out the manufacturing bugs, and may be give GM a chance to monitors how consumers like the Solstice, and to see is there a demand for a more powerful engine, I like to see a 250 HP engine with 6 speed stick. I can't wait.

Do you know where can I get a look at the interior and the exterior of the car, I saw the car on car show (TV) but that was a while back.
Don't quote me on those dates for the Lightning as they are only a guess based on all the info I have read so far. GM really has not given a solid timeframe for it yet.

As for some better pics/info, here you go! Some writen info and specs right from vauxhall's website:

http://vauxhall.co.uk/futureModels/VXLightning.jhtml

Here is a site with a few more pics (GM pics)

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1679

More good info and some really good pics:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2003/030514vauxhall-lightning/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Don't quote me on those dates for the Lightning as they are only a guess based on all the info I have read so far. GM really has not given a solid timeframe for it yet.

As for some better pics/info, here you go! Some writen info and specs right from vauxhall's website:

http://vauxhall.co.uk/futureModels/VXLightning.jhtml

Here is a site with a few more pics (GM pics)

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=1679

More good info and some really good pics:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2003/030514vauxhall-lightning/
Thanks for all the links, Fformula88.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Kael said:
I think its going to be a bit more than 20 thousand dollars.
I don't think they are claiming the Saturn will come in under $20K like the Solstice, but I doubt they will price it too high. Saturn has always been an affordable car brand, and I would expect the Saturn roadster to be priced accordingly. (Therefore, somewhere in the $20's).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im torn

I really think i will have to wait and see both cars before I can make a descision. MAYBE fingers crossed there will be both at next years autoshows. The Solstice is a true classic styling but the vx has that super aggressive european feel. Hard choice!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
ambient said:
I really think i will have to wait and see both cars before I can make a descision. MAYBE fingers crossed there will be both at next years autoshows. The Solstice is a true classic styling but the vx has that super aggressive european feel. Hard choice!
I am sure the Solstice will be making the rounds next spring at autoshows in anticipation of its launch next year. Since Saturn has announced it will build a roadster, I would almost expect to see its production concept (such as the Solstice this year) at next year's Detroit auto show. Then we will know if its the Lightning, and if so how close to the concept they keep it. Stay tuned!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts