Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my friends,

Well after speaking to my dealer today about possible delivery of my car in February I have decided to put my order on hold.

My dealer (In Miami) said that Pontiac would come to market w/ the turbo version sometime in early spring/mid summer of next year to compete (and destroy) w/ the new Maita Speed. At a price, he is guessing at about 24995.00.

I figured I would be putting on a super charger / turbo when a kit came available anyway. Might as well wait a little longer and get it from the factory w/ a warranty.

Probably will have a brake upgrade, HARD TOP Option (Didn’t quite like the Fiero looking rag top) and all the bugs of the first models worked out by then also.

A engine swap into this platform (ecotech 2.0 250HP) only requires a engine/cooling/mount/ computer upgrades from what I can see in my reading the drive train was set up to handle a lot more power from the start thus lessening production costs for this upgrade.

Does anyone have any more information on this up and coming model to add?

Thanks a million,

Sol Man

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
solstice waiting

I don't believe what most dealers say. I wouldn't wait, it may be fall of 2007 if you do. I would get the first one then sell or trade it in when the one you want comes out. But good luck with what ever you do.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same thing, I'll just enjoy the ol Camaro for another year.

Having a stock built turbo motor with 240 horspeower to begin worth is definetly worth the wait. Your talking about an easy $7,000 in aftermarket parts/tuning to get the 2.4L Ecotec up to the same specs as a reliable daily driver. Adding something like Methanol injecion for $500 would easily help you pick up another 80 horsepower with the turbo 2.0 liter.

It would be nice to not have to purchase the 2006 "beta" version too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree about new models needing to be de-bugged. Especially something like the Solstice thats on a never-before-used platform. Even new remodeled cars built off of existing platforms normally have issues at first. For example, out of the last generation Grand-Am's the '99s had alot of problems because they were new, and by the last year the '05s had most of the bugs worked out. Of course that was the old n-body, and this is kappa and should have better quality, but still you see my point. And from what I've been hearing, the turbo solstice and sky will be a 2007 model year car. (I could be wrong though) USUALLY that means a release date of fall 2006, but we'll see with GM and their delays.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If I were Pontiac, I'd bring the FI engine to market as quickly as I could and make everybody forget this year's fubar'd release date.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I've been in the "waiting for the F/I" camp right along. I think I would be perfectly happy with the base car and it's power, but I figure if I am going to splurge on a new toy, I might as well wait for the higher output engine!

There is not a lot to go on for details at the moment. We have the photos of the turbo engine in the engine bay. Rumors have power in the 250 HP neighborhood (going back to the Sky Redline rumors at the 2005 NAIAS). Release rumors range from early next year to a more believable late (fall) next year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
you are risking many months with an 06 solstice for the CHANCE that the 07 solstice will have forced induction 240-250 hp - this is not set in stone. i can see a lot of you guys who decided to wait being very upset when the car is shown to only have 210hp and you waited until next fall...

·
Registered
381 Posts
It'll be a lot easier to get a 210hp FI Solstice up to 240hp than it will be to get a 177hp NA Solstice to that level, even with an aftermarket FI kit.

The hardest part is going to be the wait itself, watching all of the NA guys having a blast & a half with their cars.

·
Banned
69 Posts
If i wait that long, ill get they Sky, i like the looks better, and i think that if im gonna wait, i might as well get what i want.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Skyolstice said:
If i wait that long, ill get they Sky, i like the looks better, and i think that if im gonna wait, i might as well get what i want.
im not doing first model year, so its easier for me to wait for the sky as well. i will most likely end up ordering my sky through mallatt so long as this whole deal goes through. otherwise, ill have to do the ls2/ls7 conversion myself, and i know mine wont be as good as his would be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
godspeed06 said:
you are risking many months with an 06 solstice for the CHANCE that the 07 solstice will have forced induction 240-250 hp - this is not set in stone. i can see a lot of you guys who decided to wait being very upset when the car is shown to only have 210hp and you waited until next fall...
Think I might wait and see.

I would have to go on Zolof If I just picked up my ride and turned my head to see a Brand new Solstice SC burn bye me a month later.

With a Turbo, Upgraded Brakes and a Hardtop.
I would have to go back to my dealer and take a $6000 beating on my new Solstice for a trade (seems high but it is still a pontiac)to get a SC. :willy: hehe

·
5,600 Posts
I am also waiting a year for a debugged Solstice v.2.0. That makes the wait for a turbocharged version a no-brainer. I did start off wanting the most fuel-efficient version available to economize vacation and weekend travel. But I quickly succumbed to the dark side and realized I would be happier with anything north of 225 HP (I have repeated viewings of classic Astons and Ferraris on "Victory by Design" to blame for it. :smash: )

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ill be with you two(SOL MAN, Jimbo) Im actually just north of you in Melbourne SOL MAN, I decided to wait for the turbo, at this point its definately a matter of "when" instead of "if" the turbo will come out, I definately want it, so Ill be waiting. We shall ride the roads together with turbo power! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Firehawk_FAN said:
I agree about new models needing to be de-bugged. Especially something like the Solstice thats on a never-before-used platform. Even new remodeled cars built off of existing platforms normally have issues at first. For example, out of the last generation Grand-Am's the '99s had alot of problems because they were new, and by the last year the '05s had most of the bugs worked out. Of course that was the old n-body, and this is kappa and should have better quality, but still you see my point. And from what I've been hearing, the turbo solstice and sky will be a 2007 model year car. (I could be wrong though) USUALLY that means a release date of fall 2006, but we'll see with GM and their delays.
What problems are you talking about in specific? I don't recall any major issues with the '99 redesign... in fact I owned a '99 N-body and an '01 N-body and liked the '99 better as the cost downs on the '01 upset me.

This platform has been walked through and combed over so much that I expect less problems here than any launch in recent years. And... if there is a problem, it will be covered under warranty so I'm not worried.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Never having worked in an assembly plant, this is just an assumption - but I would have to guess that the VERY limited options will make this vehicle much less susceptible to production glitches. ;)

As for all of you who plan to wait for more power, I'd be very cautious about projected production dates - as long as demand out-strips production for the NA model, GM may decide to hold that magic bullet until they need it (and sight-unseen, there is a 6-month backlog).

Beside, going fast (in a straight-line at least) is what big V8s are for :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
waiting

I just read a few of you are waiting till next year. But you say you are a first 1000 member. are you a first 1000 member of the forum? I thought first 1000 member ment you got one of the first thousand cars, and if thats the case the more of you who wait the sooner other people will get them.

·
Registered
905 Posts
deluke said:
I just read a few of you are waiting till next year. But you say you are a first 1000 member. are you a first 1000 member of the forum? I thought first 1000 member ment you got one of the first thousand cars, and if thats the case the more of you who wait the sooner other people will get them.
It means they were the first 1000 people to register on this forum. I doubt they'd drop their 1st 1000 car :)

·
5,600 Posts
MAKsys said:
As for all of you who plan to wait for more power, I'd be very cautious about projected production dates - as long as demand out-strips production for the NA model, GM may decide to hold that magic bullet until they need it (and sight-unseen, there is a 6-month backlog).
Good point, but it must be weighed against GM's desire to sell a car at a profit (GXP) or at a loss (Base). This is my assumption that GM plans to price the GXP at a sufficient level to see a modest profit on each unit. If the GXP makes money and the base model loses money, then I would think GM would want to sell as many of the money making model as soon as possible. This assumes the base model is selling at or below cost.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM will not hold the turbo any longer than possible for no other reason that they are working very hard to build their image and make their products more desirable. If the turbo is everything it is rumored to be, it will be one heck of a performance roadster. Especially for the price. GM will want that halo car ASAP at the top of the Pontiac lineup.

Following on what Jimbo is saying, even if GM's margin is the same between base and turbo models, they would still make more money per unit by selling the more expensive car. So they would still have incentive to release the turbo even with a lot of enthusiasm for the base. If they get those base car buyers to buy turbos instead, its just more profit! (assuming the turbo has an equal or better margin than the base of course)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts