Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting an cold air intake for my car ( 2007 solstice 2.4 ). Is it worth it. Does it make much of a difference

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
In performance, no. And if you get one with an oiled air filter you can have MAF problems. As for cold air, they pick up their air from exactly the same location the OE intakes do, so the air is no colder. They do look good though, and you can get rid of all that tupperware in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In performance, no. And if you get one with an oiled air filter you can have MAF problems. As for cold air, they pick up their air from exactly the same location the OE intakes do, so the air is no colder. They do look good though, and you can get rid of all that tupperware in the engine compartment.
Thank you. Is there anything you would recommend. Just bought it. Loving it so far

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! There are too many things you can do to even list here. Use the search feature at the top to see what other members have done. I have a DDMworks cold air intake that I bought strictly for looks. Also some goodies to get rid of all that plastic on top of the engine. If you want engine stuff try the ddmworks website, for body mods go to norms fiberglass. Solo performance for manifolds, converters, and exhaust systems. There are also tunes you can buy to increase performance. Get your toolbox ready, you are gonna have fun with this car. (post a picture of your car.)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I replaced the oe rubber intake hose with aluminum& silycone hose connectors. and deleated the muffler.I also did some work to the air box for betere breathing. the top& filter needs to be spaced up about 1/2" each for a total of 1" raise. if I had a 3d printer I might wood make a spacer that does that. also opened up a baffell in the air box& added another breathing hole witch will get a tube going to the cars raidaitor inlet air box, but havent done that yet. K&N claims something like 7.4 hp or 5.4 hp, something like that, for the intake they sell. witch isant cheep.. I dont lke those filters,I like the oe type so Ill stay with the air box opened up to breathe better on my 06.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
If you're looking for huge performance increase....induction is the only thing that will get you there....supercharging or turbocharging....anything else until this is done will get you 2-10hp max.....No matter what the manufacturer claims. Even a tune on an NA car will net you like 10hp.

Or you can improve your handling...backbone brace, new shocks and springs, wider tires, etc....

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Lightening the car can produce the same result as more power, but I'm not sure how much weight you can realistically shed in a Kappa. My gut says not much.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
As mentioned above a CAI is basically a dress up item but for me who doesn't like all the plastic under hood it's a nice addition . What direction do what to go looks or performance ? DDM Works and Performance Autowerks have some nice dress up underhood items . As for real performance for a 2.4 the only way to go is a turbo set up or supercharger . I went with a Hann Racecraft turbo system and some aftermarket parts after going the header ,exhaust , tune route it was a nice start gaining close to 30 HP and removing the restrictions built into the stock tune but after I while I wanted more it all depends on how big your wallet is .

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2008 had one of those K&N 'oiled' air filters on it. The silver tube goes right out and lays in behind the hole in the front grille, for cool air. I modified it and found a regular "closed on one end" air filter that hooks right up to it that I can easily change every year instead of cleaning and oiling that other thing. There's nothing better than a true Oil Sump air cleaner like I had on a '56 GMC truck -- but no good for modern cars that have various types of sensors to clog up in the air intake system. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Welcome to the forum!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts