Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
10,980 Posts
This is probably a long shot: I am looking for a hood for 2007 Pontiac Solstice Preferably new or in good shape. Any ideas
I changed the title of the thread and moved it to the proper section so that it should get noticed more.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,683 Posts
I have a hood. Not gonna be cheap for it or the shipping. If you live within 750 miles of Colorado it would be cheaper to pick it up yourself then shipping it. Need a pickup truck to get it. I did a quick calculation at 12mpg and it comes in at around 600.00 round trip for fuel .

Hood is factory Mean Yellow. it has a clear bra on it that does need to be replaced but there are no chips in the paint. It is a GXP hood so the hood has the GXP liner in it. No hardware comes with the hood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a hood. Not gonna be cheap for it or the shipping. If you live within 750 miles of Colorado it would be cheaper to pick it up yourself then shipping it. Need a pickup truck to get it. I did a quick calculation at 12mpg and it comes in at around 600.00 round trip for fuel .

Hood is factory Mean Yellow. it has a clear bra on it that does need to be replaced but there are no chips in the paint. It is a GXP hood so the hood has the GXP liner in it. No hardware comes with the hood.
I am in New Mexico what part of Colorado are you located. And price of hood pictures if you have.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Draw a mental picture of a Yellow Pontiac Solstice hood. That is what it looks like. LOL. I'm joking. I made sure I put the hood in a place where it is not going to get damaged at all. Places to store a car hood of that size and that place having a next to zero damage potential. Hard place to get to. I would want to come to an agreement on the price before I dig it out and send you the photos. If you feel the hood is not worth the money after you look at the photos then you don't have to buy it. If you are hoping for a dirt cheap price not gonna happen. OE hoods that are undamaged are rare and hard to come by. There is no metal aftermarket hood available. There are 2 manufacturers of fiberglass ones and one of them has a year or more lead time and the other.. well, It would cost you twice what buying a used OE would just to get the hood to fit correctly. Crap quality to say the least, going to take 2-3 months to get one from them.

Tell me what you are expecting to pay for an undamaged (not 1 rock chip in the paint) Pontiac Solstice Hood with the hood liner. We can go from there. I do not want to spend close to a day getting the hood out to photograph it if you expectations on what the price is are way to low. I know we will more then likely not come to an agreement if there is a large gap between what I would like to get and what you think one is worth. You have no commitment to buy it from me and if you do not feel it is worth the agreed upon price when I get photos to you then you can make another offer or walk away.

I can tell you there is one for sale in Orlando Florida for 800.00

According to their description of the hood it has not been damaged in any way The finish/pain is questionable. The only issue I have with that hood is they have photos of the whole hood except for the leading edge of it. This is where rocks would have been bonding off of it and making a mess of the paint. If the paint has been chipped a decent amount of body work will have to be done to it before it can be painted. chips are indents in the finish so either the hood would have to be sanded down to bare metal or body filler would need to be used to fill in the chips. Time is money and having to pay a body shop to do that would increase the price to paint is substantially. probably something close to 1000 bucks.

That being said. I am not expecting 1800 for the hood that I have. I can tell you it has no chips in the paint whats so ever. If you have a Mean Yellow Solstice you would not need to have any work done except for fitting the hood and removing the clear bra that is on it and optionally putting another one on (i recommend replacing the clear bra). There are zero scratches, swirls, chip dents or hard water marks on the hood It has been stored inside in a 60°F 15% humidity environment for the last 2 years. not gonna rust with the humidity and temperature being what it is where it is stored. Those conditions are like that year round and do not change.

I am hoping to get 1500.00 for the hood and liner because of the condition of it. shoot me a price you were wanting to spend and we can work from there and if we agree I will get you photos.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Oh . I live 45 minutes west of Denver. Evergreen Colorado.

New Mexico is right there. if you ave a pickup truck I suggest coming to get it. You can make the trip up in one day and you are welcome to crash here the night or a few night if you want and then make the trip back. you don't have to pay for food while you are here I will feed you. LOL. so only gasoline and snacks would be your "shipping" costs. I can give you food stuffs for the return trip to reduce costs going back.

I have a bunch of other parts you can dig through if there is something else you need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Draw a mental picture of a Yellow Pontiac Solstice hood. That is what it looks like. LOL. I'm joking. I made sure I put the hood in a place where it is not going to get damaged at all. Places to store a car hood of that size and that place having a next to zero damage potential. Hard place to get to. I would want to come to an agreement on the price before I dig it out and send you the photos. If you feel the hood is not worth the money after you look at the photos then you don't have to buy it. If you are hoping for a dirt cheap price not gonna happen. OE hoods that are undamaged are rare and hard to come by. There is no metal aftermarket hood available. There are 2 manufacturers of fiberglass ones and one of them has a year or more lead time and the other.. well, It would cost you twice what buying a used OE would just to get the hood to fit correctly. Crap quality to say the least, going to take 2-3 months to get one from them.

Tell me what you are expecting to pay for an undamaged (not 1 rock chip in the paint) Pontiac Solstice Hood with the hood liner. We can go from there. I do not want to spend close to a day getting the hood out to photograph it if you expectations on what the price is are way to low. I know we will more then likely not come to an agreement if there is a large gap between what I would like to get and what you think one is worth. You have no commitment to buy it from me and if you do not feel it is worth the agreed upon price when I get photos to you then you can make another offer or walk away.

I can tell you there is one for sale in Orlando Florida for 800.00

According to their description of the hood it has not been damaged in any way The finish/pain is questionable. The only issue I have with that hood is they have photos of the whole hood except for the leading edge of it. This is where rocks would have been bonding off of it and making a mess of the paint. If the paint has been chipped a decent amount of body work will have to be done to it before it can be painted. chips are indents in the finish so either the hood would have to be sanded down to bare metal or body filler would need to be used to fill in the chips. Time is money and having to pay a body shop to do that would increase the price to paint is substantially. probably something close to 1000 bucks.

That being said. I am not expecting 1800 for the hood that I have. I can tell you it has no chips in the paint whats so ever. If you have a Mean Yellow Solstice you would not need to have any work done except for fitting the hood and removing the clear bra that is on it and optionally putting another one on (i recommend replacing the clear bra). There are zero scratches, swirls, chip dents or hard water marks on the hood It has been stored inside in a 60°F 15% humidity environment for the last 2 years. not gonna rust with the humidity and temperature being what it is where it is stored. Those conditions are like that year round and do not change.

I am hoping to get 1500.00 for the hood and liner because of the condition of it. shoot me a price you were wanting to spend and we can work from there and if we agree I will get you photos.
I am working with my insurance company now and waiting to see what they are going to do about my damaged hood. If insurance decides to fix vehicle I’ll get with the body shop and go from there. If insurance decides to total my Solstice, I will refuse their settlement and fix it myself. Should know in a couple of days. If I have to fix myself I would consider paying up to $1000 if agreeable.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
if there is hood damage expect them to total the car. and it's fine if they do and let them do it. DO NOT allow them to take the vehicle. They will try to do that and if they do you tell them that they need to return it because they do not won it and had no right to take it.

They will give you a sheet that they calculate the vehicle is worth. When you get that sheet I would like you to send it to me. I am going to find every single thing that is wrong on it. And trust me there are always mountains of things that are wrong. I will then compile a list of comparison vehicles that are the same year make model color and trim and I will run the mileage and asking price for those vehicles along with the mileage on yours through a program I wrote. It will spit out a report that tells you what the fair market value is based only on mileage. I will then key out production numbers for the same year make model color and trim and I will reduce that number to account for vehicles that were totaled or driven until dead and are no longer on the roads. In my case there were 350 Mean Yellow Pontiac Solstice GXPs make in 2008 that had a manual gear box. Using wording that like justifies why the fair market value is as high as it can be for a vehicle.

I have done this whole process for a number of people including myself. Different insurance companies each time and I have been able to get at a minimum 2 times the amount of money they initially offer. My personal Solstice the offer was just under 10,000 when it was totaled and the payout ended up at just under 20,000. You will not loose your vehicle in a total loss. you can buy the vehicle back from them. depending on the mileage of the vehicle (usually over 150,000 miles) you can buy the vehicle from them for what you would get if a scrap yard bought the car. If the mileage is lower then it is going to be an averaged auction value. You can look at what they are selling for at auction on copart.com. My Solstice had 48,000 miles on it and I bought it back from the insurance company for 4,000.

I will look up the laws in New Mexico surrounding total loss vehicles. In Colorado the verbage they use to describe a total loss vehicle as being "road worthy" meant my car was never totaled in the eyes of the state and because it was not deem as being unfit to operate on the roads I did not have to have a salvage or a rebuilt title. I have a clean title for my vehicle. It's loopholes like this that can work in your favor. I will also check and see what the process is to get a rebuilt title if there are no loop holes like that to be found. Some states have a crazy process to get a repair title. others don't.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
If you tell me the year, trim and color and also the mileage I can get the fair market value data crunched. This will give you an idea of the kind of dollars the insurance company should be paying you.

If I give you information to pass along to your insurance company and you end up getting a large amount more then they first offer (large would be if they offer 10,000 and after sending them the information I compile you get 15,000) you buy the hood from me for the 1500.00. If I can't get them to increase the payout I will sell you the hood for 1000.00.

How bout that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you tell me the year, trim and color and also the mileage I can get the fair market value data crunched. This will give you an idea of the kind of dollars the insurance company should be paying you.

If I give you information to pass along to your insurance company and you end up getting a large amount more then they first offer (large would be if they offer 10,000 and after sending them the information I compile you get 15,000) you buy the hood from me for the 1500.00. If I can't get them to increase the payout I will sell you the hood for 1000.00.

How bout that?
solstice is a 2007 base model. Only damage is hood and passenger side headlight. Engine and everything else works fine. Color is red. I can send you vin # if that will give you an idea of paint and trim email me at

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Take your email down. You don't want that I. The open forum. There are programs that look for that and you will end up with bucket loads is spam messages.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Color, trim and year are good. Only thing you missed is the mileage.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
click on the 2 dots on the upper right of the post and click on edit. then delete the e-mail address.

There may also be a restriction because you have not posted a lot.

@JohnWR mind editing his post and removing the e-mail address??

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
automatic or manual transmission??

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I did some reading on the laws surrounding total loss vehicles in your state. There are conflicting laws which makes it rather confusing as to what would apply. I keep on coming full circle to the definition of a total loss vehicle which is when the cost of repairs exceed the value of the vehicle. That would not be the case with your vehicle. You car would get totaled because of the insurance companies inability to get a hood. An insurance company has one single responsibility when a vehicle is in an accident. That responsibility is to get your vehicle back into the same condition it was in prior to the accident. When dealing with parts and that statement the term LKQ applies. LQK is Like Kind and Quality. What that means is a metal hood MUST be replaced with a metal hood. They might ask you if it is OK that they replace the hood with something other then a metal hood and you have the legal right to refuse. Insurance companies have a pretty small number of vendors they deal with to get used car parts. The largest one is a company called LQK and if they do not have a part then chances are they are not going to be able to locate the parts.

You need to call your DMV and ask them this question.

If a vehicle gets totaled by an insurance company because they are not able to locate the parts to repair it the cost of repair has not exceeded the value of the vehicle how does that work with the title? Is the vehicle considered non repairable? if I am able to get the parts to repair the vehicle is it still considered non repairable?

The laws in your state does not have any verbage in it that covers this scenario. They do have clear laws about a vehicle that is a total loss because the cost of repair would exceed the value of the car and that once a vehicle is deemed not repairable it cannot be sold to anyone other then a salvage yard and it is never allowed to be driven on the roads again.

I can see a loop hole but I do not know if there is another statute that closes it When you talk to the DMV there about this make sure to get specific statute numbers. I have a feeling they are going to say if an insurance company calls it a total loss then the vehicle is marked as non repairable. I do not see anything that specifically states that so if you can get that statute number I can review it All I am seeing is definitions of a total loss for burned vehicles, stolen vehicles and vehicles where the repair cost is greater then the value.

Your vehicles fair market value is sitting in the 15,000 to 16,000 area. It could be up a little bit higher if you have a manual transmission.

Your state is a diminished value state. If your car gets repaired the value of the vehicle is going to be substantially less. The insurance company is supposed to give you a cash settlement for that decrease in value. They are not going to just come right out and say "here is the money for the diminished value." You have to ask for it. You are going to have to do the work to determine what the value is for your vehicle since it has been in an accident. I can get you a list of comparison vehicles that show the vehicle value before the accident and then I can get a list of comparable vehicles that have been in an accident and I will crunch the numbers for ya to come up with the far market value for a 1 accident vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
50469 miles
I did some reading on the laws surrounding total loss vehicles in your state. There are conflicting laws which makes it rather confusing as to what would apply. I keep on coming full circle to the definition of a total loss vehicle which is when the cost of repairs exceed the value of the vehicle. That would not be the case with your vehicle. You car would get totaled because of the insurance companies inability to get a hood. An insurance company has one single responsibility when a vehicle is in an accident. That responsibility is to get your vehicle back into the same condition it was in prior to the accident. When dealing with parts and that statement the term LKQ applies. LQK is Like Kind and Quality. What that means is a metal hood MUST be replaced with a metal hood. They might ask you if it is OK that they replace the hood with something other then a metal hood and you have the legal right to refuse. Insurance companies have a pretty small number of vendors they deal with to get used car parts. The largest one is a company called LQK and if they do not have a part then chances are they are not going to be able to locate the parts.

You need to call your DMV and ask them this question.

If a vehicle gets totaled by an insurance company because they are not able to locate the parts to repair it the cost of repair has not exceeded the value of the vehicle how does that work with the title? Is the vehicle considered non repairable? if I am able to get the parts to repair the vehicle is it still considered non repairable?

The laws in your state does not have any verbage in it that covers this scenario. They do have clear laws about a vehicle that is a total loss because the cost of repair would exceed the value of the car and that once a vehicle is deemed not repairable it cannot be sold to anyone other then a salvage yard and it is never allowed to be driven on the roads again.

I can see a loop hole but I do not know if there is another statute that closes it When you talk to the DMV there about this make sure to get specific statute numbers. I have a feeling they are going to say if an insurance company calls it a total loss then the vehicle is marked as non repairable. I do not see anything that specifically states that so if you can get that statute number I can review it All I am seeing is definitions of a total loss for burned vehicles, stolen vehicles and vehicles where the repair cost is greater then the value.

Your vehicles fair market value is sitting in the 15,000 to 16,000 area. It could be up a little bit higher if you have a manual transmission.

Your state is a diminished value state. If your car gets repaired the value of the vehicle is going to be substantially less. The insurance company is supposed to give you a cash settlement for that decrease in value. They are not going to just come right out and say "here is the money for the diminished value." You have to ask for it. You are going to have to do the work to determine what the value is for your vehicle since it has been in an accident. I can get you a list of comparison vehicles that show the vehicle value before the accident and then I can get a list of comparable vehicles that have been in an accident and I will crunch the numbers for ya to come up with the far market value for a 1 accident vehicle.
Wow, it is an automatic trans.
insurance adjuster was supposed to call me last Monday and I have not heard from him yet.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
When that kind of thing happens with an adjuster it usually means they are going to total your vehicle.

Let me explain why it takes them for ever to call you..

30 days. that is how long you are given a rental car for. Mot people need a vehicle and cannot be without one. The longer they drag out the process which causes a HUGE inconvenience for the vehicle owner and a lot of times a lot of additional financial burden because the vehicle owner has to pay for a rental car. You are going to be more willing t just agree with what they are offering so you can get some money to replace the vehicle. This is a BS tactic that they do in order to rip you off.

I bet they come back telling you your car is worth 6 gran, maybe 7 tops. You car is worth 14 to 16 grand and that is just done in my head looking at other vehicles that are listed for sale. I have not run it through my program yet.

You need to get clarification from the DMV about what is considered a total loss and tell them that you vehicle might get totaled not because the cost of repair is more then the value of the vehicle but it may get totaled simply because the insurance company is not able to locate the hood. tell them that you have located a fiberglass hood but the insurance company is not allows to put a fiberglass one on it by law, they have to put a metal one on it. insurance companies most times will not buy used parts from an individual or from a company that is not in their list of "allowed vendors" if push comes to shove and they want to total your car and you are not going to be able to drive it again because it has a salvage title tell the insurance company you located a hood and tell them the cost of the hood is 1500.00 and it's a private party that has it not a business. They may buy it from me or they may not. it's a crap shoot but worth a try if you do not want your vehicle getting totaled. I am willing to get it all packed up and arrange to have it picked up by a shipping carrier and delivered to whatever body shop is going to be working on your car. The insurance company will be responsible for paying the shipping and also the cost involved in packaging the thing so it doesn't get damaged. (going to have to crate it)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts