Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
When that kind of thing happens with an adjuster it usually means they are going to total your vehicle.

Let me explain why it takes them for ever to call you..

30 days. that is how long you are given a rental car for. Mot people need a vehicle and cannot be without one. The longer they drag out the process which causes a HUGE inconvenience for the vehicle owner and a lot of times a lot of additional financial burden because the vehicle owner has to pay for a rental car. You are going to be more willing t just agree with what they are offering so you can get some money to replace the vehicle. This is a BS tactic that they do in order to rip you off.

I bet they come back telling you your car is worth 6 gran, maybe 7 tops. You car is worth 14 to 16 grand and that is just done in my head looking at other vehicles that are listed for sale. I have not run it through my program yet.

You need to get clarification from the DMV about what is considered a total loss and tell them that you vehicle might get totaled not because the cost of repair is more then the value of the vehicle but it may get totaled simply because the insurance company is not able to locate the hood. tell them that you have located a fiberglass hood but the insurance company is not allows to put a fiberglass one on it by law, they have to put a metal one on it. insurance companies most times will not buy used parts from an individual or from a company that is not in their list of "allowed vendors" if push comes to shove and they want to total your car and you are not going to be able to drive it again because it has a salvage title tell the insurance company you located a hood and tell them the cost of the hood is 1500.00 and it's a private party that has it not a business. They may buy it from me or they may not. it's a crap shoot but worth a try if you do not want your vehicle getting totaled. I am willing to get it all packed up and arrange to have it picked up by a shipping carrier and delivered to whatever body shop is going to be working on your car. The insurance company will be responsible for paying the shipping and also the cost involved in packaging the thing so it doesn't get damaged. (going to have to crate it)
I have had the vehicle for 15 years and total miles are 50 K that’s 5K per year. I have other vehicles at my disposal so I can out wait them. I plan to take my vehicle to a body shop on Monday and start the process of repair. I will tell body shop owner who is a lifelong friend that I want your hood and I have located a head light. I am sure that he will work with me. If I have to I’ll tell the insurance company that if they don’t repair my veh I will do it myself and let the courts decide who is wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have had the vehicle for 15 years and total miles are 50 K that’s 5K per year. I have other vehicles at my disposal so I can out wait them. I plan to take my vehicle to a body shop on Monday and start the process of repair. I will tell body shop owner who is a lifelong friend that I want your hood and I have located a head light. I am sure that he will work with me. If I have to I’ll tell the insurance company that if they don’t repair my veh I will do it myself and let the courts decide who is wrong.
Well it’s Monday morning and I called insurance company and no reply. Called body shop and because I have filed a claim with insurance company they can’t give me an estimate. When he gets ahold of an adjuster he will call me. I told body shop owner that if insurance couldn’t locate parts I had source for both parts. So still in a waiting game. Will let you know what comes next.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,769 Posts
crazy isn't it. They are not going to reply for another week. at which point the insurance company will more then likely tell you the car is a total loss because they are unable to locate the parts. They may do some BS maneuver where they tell you they will give you something like 800 bucks for the hood so when it becomes available you can then get it fixed. They do not give you the astronomical amount of money it would cost to ship the hood and they do not give you the money it would cost to have the hood prepped and painted. My insurance company tried this tactic and I told them to pound sand with that idea. LOL.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
The body shop is lying to you. by law they have to give you the estimate they handed to the insurance company.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The body shop is lying to you. by law they have to give you the estimate they handed to the insurance company.
I will not accept any type of their bs. Body shop hasn’t seen the vehicle and neither has the insurance adjuster so there is no way that they could come to any honest estimate of damage. Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
what?!?1?!?!

No one has even looked at the car yet?

If that is the case DO NOT let an adjuster see it. find out what body shops are preferred shops and bring it to one of those places. Make sure the shop does not have an adjuster working there as some of them do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
what?!?1?!?!

If that is the case DO NOT let an adjuster see it. find out what body shops are preferred shops and bring it to one of those places. Make sure the shop does not have an adjuster working there as some of them do.
Only one body shop within 25 miles, and that body shop is owned and operated by a life long friend of mine and he is the type of person that will not let the insurance company take advantage. I really trust him. My vehicle is securely locked in my garage nobody will have access unless I give it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
what?!?1?!?!

Well finally the adjuster reached out and said he was going to send all to an estimator who would probably call the vehicle a total loss because Pontiac no longer made parts. He said I would probably have two options.
1. Accept the total loss amount that the offer and surrender the vehicle.
2. Accept a lower amount and keep the vehicle.
I told him that I had located parts and it is repairable and that I had researched and found that value of vehicle in the condition that it was in before was 15k to 20K.
he is supposed to e-mail me some forms . So that’s where we stand for the time being.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Told ya they were going to call it a total loss. can tell because of how long it has taken them to get back to you. it's standard insurnace company operating procedure when a vehicle is going to be a total loss. They do this because most people are without a car and are using the rental car portion of the policy. The rental car you will usually only have for 30 days typically. So they want you to run out of rental car time and end up without a car. This way you will just about take anything they offer you.

You need to contact your DMV and also the insurance commissioner in your state to find out how the whole total loss thing works. Specifically when a vehicle is totaled because of parts availability and the damage is only cosmetic damage. This is not outlined in the laws in your state. I do know that your state will not allow a salvaged vehicle to be rebuilt. If the insurance company totals it and the state says that the car has a salvage title you will never be able to drive it on the roads again. It would not be worth keeping the vehicle.

The lesser payout by the insurance company when you keep the car is because you are buying it back from them. You have a base model with not high mileage but also not low mileage depending on the damage the number to buy it back will be in the 400 to 2500 range. Well that is where it should be. 400 is scrap metal value and 2500 is about what the car would fetch at auction.

Don't forget that the insurance company has a responsibility to put you back on the road. This doesn't matter if you buy the car back from them or not. They are responsible for paying all fees above the selling price of a car. Things like Dealer fees, sales tax, title fees and registration fees. This is on top of what the fair market value for the vehicle is.

Fair market value is NOT blue book value. Fair market value is what the insurance company has to pay you for he vehicle. It is how much a vehicle costs to buy in your area that has close mileage and has the same options as yours.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Told ya they were going to call it a total loss. can tell because of how long it has taken them to get back to you. it's standard insurnace company operating procedure when a vehicle is going to be a total loss. They do this because most people are without a car and are using the rental car portion of the policy. The rental car you will usually only have for 30 days typically. So they want you to run out of rental car time and end up without a car. This way you will just about take anything they offer you.

You need to contact your DMV and also the insurance commissioner in your state to find out how the whole total loss thing works. Specifically when a vehicle is totaled because of parts availability and the damage is only cosmetic damage. This is not outlined in the laws in your state. I do know that your state will not allow a salvaged vehicle to be rebuilt. If the insurance company totals it and the state says that the car has a salvage title you will never be able to drive it on the roads again. It would not be worth keeping the vehicle.

The lesser payout by the insurance company when you keep the car is because you are buying it back from them. You have a base model with not high mileage but also not low mileage depending on the damage the number to buy it back will be in the 400 to 2500 range. Well that is where it should be. 400 is scrap metal value and 2500 is about what the car would fetch at auction.

Don't forget that the insurance company has a responsibility to put you back on the road. This doesn't matter if you buy the car back from them or not. They are responsible for paying all fees above the selling price of a car. Things like Dealer fees, sales tax, title fees and registration fees. This is on top of what the fair market value for the vehicle is.

Fair market value is NOT blue book value. Fair market value is what the insurance company has to pay you for he vehicle. It is how much a vehicle costs to buy in your area that has close mileage and has the same options as yours.
They have requested that I send them pictures of the car so that they can determine value.. pictures of all angles exterior and interior including tires and undercarriage. The car was in pristine condition before collision with deer..

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
pictures? no adjuster is going to physically look at the car?

Make sure you clean the car too. I mean detail the thing. Engine, door jams, carpets, trunk. You want little to no dirt. not a spec of sand. Having the car as clean a possible means that you take care of it and they will not argue about the condition of the vehicle.

·
Administrator
11,005 Posts
They have requested that I send them pictures of the car so that they can determine value.. pictures of all angles exterior and interior including tires and undercarriage. The car was in pristine condition before collision with deer..
Pictures of the damage, or pictures from before it was hit?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Pictures of the damage, or pictures from before it was hit?
Pictures of the entire vehicle interior, exterior tires, under carriage , odometer seats doors. I had taken some pictures for a prospective buyer a few days before collusion. Showing vehicle as it was before collusion. I am going to submit those to show that vehicle was in show room condition.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
When that kind of thing happens with an adjuster it usually means they are going to total your vehicle.

30 days. that is how long you are given a rental car for. Mot people need a vehicle and cannot be without one. The longer they drag out the process which causes a HUGE inconvenience for the vehicle owner and a lot of times a lot of additional financial burden because the vehicle owner has to pay for a rental car. You are going to be more willing t just agree with what they are offering so you can get some money to replace the vehicle. This is a BS tactic that they do in order to rip you off.

I bet they come back telling you your car is worth 6 gran, maybe 7 tops. You car is worth 14 to 16 grand and that is just done in my head looking at other vehicles that are listed for sale. I have not run it through my program yet.

You need to get clarification from the DMV about what is considered a total loss and tell them that you vehicle might get totaled not because the cost of repair is more then the value of the vehicle but it may get totaled simply because the insurance company is not able to locate the hood. tell them that you have located a fiberglass hood but the insurance company is not allows to put a fiberglass one on it by law, they have to put a metal one on it. insurance companies most times will not buy used parts from an individual or from a company that is not in their list of "allowed vendors" if push comes to shove and they want to total your car and you are not going to be able to drive it again because it has a salvage title tell the insurance company you located a hood and tell them the cost of the hood is 1500.00 and it's a private party that has it not a business. They may buy it from me or they may not. it's a crap shoot but worth a try if you do not want your vehicle getting totaled. I am willing to get it all packed up and arrange to have it picked up by a shipping carrier and delivered to whatever body shop is going to be working on your car. The insurance company will be responsible for paying the shipping and also the cost involved in packaging the thing so it doesn't get damaged. (going to have to crate it)
Good morning, I spoke to the body shop and he told me that the vehicle was not totable. He is going to talk to the adjuster and tell them that the vehicle is too nice to be totaled. I told him that I had located a hood and he said he would tell adjuster that we had a hood located. So that being the case insurance will be paying for hood plus what you require for shipping. This should be completed by weekend hopefully. I will need your phone number. Thanks for all of your useful advice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Good morning hope you had a good Fourth of July.
Insurance company said that they had set up an appointment for today. I emailed them and asked for specifics and was told that the appointment was for the estimator to evaluate the pictures that I had submitted. I have told them that I want a live person as an adjuster. No response yet. Still a waiting game.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
They are slow aren't they?? You have to be really patient. If they do a walk through on your vehicle in person set the appointment up at the body shop so they can get involved as well. They will be the people repairing it so it is important their input is heard by the adjuster.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
They are slow aren't they?? You have to be really patient. If they do a walk through on your vehicle in person set the appointment up at the body shop so they can get involved as well. They will be the people repairing it so it is important their input is heard by the adjuster.
Yes that is what I am planning on doing, body shop will be involved

21 - 37 of 37 Posts