Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Ron: If you are looking for a dual exhaust, you will be looking for a gxp exhaust. NA’s never came oem with dual exhaust. Should be able to find a complete cat back gxp exhaust. The gxp will be louder then a stock NA exhaust. Most of us like that sound!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron: If you are looking for a dual exhaust, you will be looking for a gxp exhaust. NA’s never came oem with dual exhaust. Should be able to find a complete cat back gxp exhaust. The gxp will be louder then a stock NA exhaust. Most of us like that sound!!
Mike,
Yep. Your right. Single exhaust, dual tips

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
Mike,
Yep. Your right. Single exhaust, dual tips
In Solstice-speak the "dual exhaust" is the single exhaust with dual tips.

If your 2.4 has a dual-outlet exhaust it was swapped from a GXP. The 2.4 came stock with a single-outlet exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Solstice-speak the "dual exhaust" is the single exhaust with dual tips.

If your 2.4 has a dual-outlet exhaust it was swapped from a GXP. The 2.4 came stock with a single-outlet exhaust.
Hmmm. Yeah this is new to me. Well someone did add an intake, is a 2.4, does have dual tips. doesn't say GXP on back.
Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
Hmmm. Yeah this is new to me. Well someone did add an intake, is a 2.4, does have dual tips. doesn't say GXP on back.
Thanks for your help
Glad to help clarify things.

As @WickedMike said, a lot of us with 2.4s switched to the GXP (or in my case RL) exhaust for a little bit more sound.
The two exhausts are direct interchanges except for the rear valence, so it was pretty easy to do.

Is yours damaged, or just too loud for you? If it is just too loud, a like replacement is probably going to sound the same.

To get it quieter you will want the stock 2.4 exhaust, but then you will have an extra "hole" in the valence, so you wll want to replace that, or get creative.

Reactions: WickedMike

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Ron: I think you need a knowledgeable person to check your car. You say it is a 2.4 but someone must have added the dual outlet exhaust. Therefore you have no idea what manufacture did your exhaust. I’m surprised your getting a drone. It isn’t a street race exhaust, with no muffler is it? Just because it doesn’t say GXP on the back doesn’t mean much, as many of us have debadged our cars. Does your car have to honeycomb vent around the parking/driving lights? That is one way to tell a GXP.

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Ron: I see you are in PA. I started thinking that maybe you had my first Solstice. In early 07, before aftermarkets like Solo were popular , I added a camaro dual outlet muffler to my car. Ended up being fairly loud (when you wanted it to be) and would really rattle down when decelerating. I don’t remember any bothsome drone. I sold it when I ordered my 09 GXP. But that was here in MI.
I have since then assisted in installing take off turbo exhausts on many kappas. If you have the oem GXP rear valance, can easily be sold. I’ve thrown away NA rear valance because no one wanted them. If you switch back to single outlet it should be easy to find an oem rear valance, cheap or free !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to help clarify things.

As @WickedMike said, a lot of us with 2.4s switched to the GXP (or in my case RL) exhaust for a little bit more sound.
The two exhausts are direct interchanges except for the rear valence, so it was pretty easy to do.

Is yours damaged, or just too loud for you? If it is just too loud, a like replacement is probably going to sound the same.

To get it quieter you will want the stock 2.4 exhaust, but then you will have an extra "hole" in the valence, so you wll want to replace that, or get creative.
Not damaged. Just want it back to factory quiet. The drone is too much. Photo attached. Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for your help
Going back to the stock intake will help quiet some of the noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So someone put a GXP exhaust and valance on this base model. So to go back to original, I'd have to change to single tip muffler and change valance. Correct ?
No other way to get rid of the drone? There isn't a quiet dual exhaust? I know I'm going against the grain here.

·
Administrator
8,961 Posts
So someone put a GXP exhaust and valance on this base model. So to go back to original, I'd have to change to single tip muffler and change valance. Correct ?
No other way to get rid of the drone? There isn't a quiet dual exhaust? I know I'm going against the grain here.
I am not aware of one. The "get creative" comment that I made has a couple of possible directions:
  • Find an in-line resonator to splice into the pipe you have
  • Find a stock pipe/muffler, cut the left-side outlet off of the one you have and attach it to the end of the muffler as a non-functional part

·
Registered
353 Posts
  • Find a stock pipe/muffler, cut the left-side outlet off of the one you have and attach it to the end of the muffler as a non-functional part
Yep. A lot of car makers already do this at the factory.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I am not aware of one. The "get creative" comment that I made has a couple of possible directions:
  • Find an in-line resonator to splice into the pipe you have
an in-line resonator did nothing for the drone in my coupe, but it might work for a convertible; but i have a magnaflow dual system

Bill
Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Auto part

1 - 14 of 14 Posts