Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm posting in this section today particularly because I am interested in a double din radio and a backup camera.. so I found these goodies!
---
Pyle PLCM18SC License Plate Mount Rear View Backup Parking Assist Camera

Metra 95-2001 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for Select 1990-Up GM Vehicles

Pyle PLDN74BTI 7-Inch Double-DIN TFT Touchscreen DVD/VCD/CD/MP3/MP4/CD-R/USB/SD-MMC Card Slot/AM/FM/iPod Connector and Bluetooth
---
Now, I know the Pyle double din isn't top notch or of the highest quality, but I don't mind replacing the stock radio for this. Also, is that the dash kit I need, how would I run the rear camera cables video cable all the way to the radio, and last but not least, do I need anything else to make this install possible?

Thanks! You all have been very helpful since I first got my Sol and I've transformed it into my own idea of the perfect ride. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Yes. you'll need another $150-$200 worth of interface equipment to keep your alert chimes (turn signals, door open, ignition key in, etc.) and to keep your steering wheel buttons working, and OnStar (if you have it).

There are many posts and threads on changing the head unit... search and you'll get part numbers etc.

Or plug your car into Crutchfield. That'll probably tell you what you need.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try Crutchfield first and see what is suggested. I'll also be sure to look into the interface equipment, wasn't sure if that would stay or not x.x

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I will be going the Crutchfield route when I do this is the spring.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
for what it's worth, I bought one of those $199 DVD / GPS combos off ebay for my sons truck and it worked like a freakin champ. it had steering wheel controlls and bluetooth but I don't know about the chimes and turn signal clicker working. He had it in his truck for about a year before he totalled it and he never had a problem with it. it even had a memroy card slot and USB and it was all controllable by remote.

Spend the extra $50 and get one with GPS. just go to ebay and type in double din dvd GPS and filter in US only, buy it now, free shipping and sort by price and you're in like flynn.

I'm going to go that route eventually too and I could care less about my door chimes and blinker. my blinkers are too damn loud anyway. the guy next to me can hear them with his windows up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey i got my pioneer off of craigslist, and all the adapter stuff off of eBay and it wasn't hard to install at all, all you need to be sure off is which adapter you buy, (whether or not it has a woofer), also the GM stereo adapter you bought has some "guides" on the back, one is a cross and the other is a flat tab, the solstice dashboard is different so remember to cut/saw those off...good luck, ask many questions rather than getting it wrong and breaking something :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
i would stay away from pyle. I purchased a pioneer unit for $260 new...in dash dvd, blue tooth and app radio. Anther $110 for parts and all is great. I have a GMOS LAN 04 cable for monsoon system if you want one nearly new for cheap. I had a sol with monsoon, totaled it, and new sol does not have monsoon and takes different adapter. Learned the hard way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts