Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will spark some of that 6 cyl discussion again :devil

Last few lines:
Ward's, however, does see one big problem with the engine: GM doesn't put it into enough vehicles.

"Testers have said this engine would be a delight in any number of entry premium or luxury sport cars," Ward's editors wrote.

Their under-hood address recommendations?

The Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice - two rear-wheel-drive roadsters GM will build.
Link Here

·
Registered
753 Posts
inline 6 is the bulk of bmw motors. it's an elegant solution, naturally balanced by 6 cylinders and requires less complexity due to a single head. i thought that it was too tall to fit the solstice, and it may be a good bit heavier than the ecotec. you should post in the technical forum- it would be a good topic there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have heard it is too tall also. This may be due to the strange oilpan on the Trailblazer 4.2 which allows the front axle to pass thru it!

This engine would be sweet in the sol. I used to have an 02 Trailblazer with a 4.10 axle ratio that would surprise a lot of cars in a drag race. If it were tuned for more top end power than torque it would be even better. Currently it makes 275 hp and 275 lb ft. Revs to 6k. The engine is very smooth and sweet sounding.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'll admit there are some very nice features of this engine.

"with 90 percent of its torque coming in from 1,600 to 5,600 rpm"
"275 HP & 275 ft-lbs"

However the following two items are draw backs to me

"weighs 430 lbs. (195 kg)"
"15/19 MPG 2WD 14/18 MPG 4WD"

The Supercharged 2.0L weighs in at 330 pounds (150 Kg) wet, where the above weight is dry, and gets 23/29 MPG. Yeah it has less power, but it'll hopefully help with it being about 150 lbs lighter. It also helps show that the Turbocharged or Supercharged version of the Solstice wont weight that much more either then it's NA counter part. Especially if they add in other weight saving parts as some sort of sport package. I'm also betting the ECOTEC VVT forced induction engine will easily match the 2.0L Supercharged for fuel economy levels but produce even more power.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Keep in mind that fuel economy rating is in a 4500 lb truck, not a 2900 lbs sports car. True about the weight, but the power and smoothness would be welcome, I can only speculate if the weight penalty is worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SCCA HP Racer said:
Keep in mind that fuel economy rating is in a 4500 lb truck, not a 2900 lbs sports car. True about the weight, but the power and smoothness would be welcome, I can only speculate if the weight penalty is worth it.
Oh yeah, very true. Forgot about that.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If the engine was tuned for sports car duty and not SUV duty, it may not be hard for GM to squeeze more horsepower out of it too. I als heard height is a problem with the engine in smaller vehicles, but I am not sure where that height really is. If it is the oilpan to accomodate the drive axle, GM may be able to come up with a solution for the Sol.

Or, as I suggested in the past, they may be able to do a power dome hood for the Sol as long as it wouldn't have to be too extreme and destroy the car's lines.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have had two envoys with that motor..

Its smooth powerful and silent..

I am also of the belief that GM should spread that motor around to its car lineup.

I've always believed a new Camaro should utilize the hydroformed frame rail technology of the Corvette and have that motor as its base motor...

Sure it would have to have the retro styling of the 69 SS Camaro..with its long hood and short deck...but why the hell not...

two motors..

The dohc 4.2 dohc inline six and the ls2 V8..

Would be cool if they ran the hydroformed sheetmetal like the solstice to allow lower volume yet profitable production runs..with costing between 25 to 35 grand (4.2 RS and 6.0 SS models)

just shooting the breeze but that 4.2 is one hell of a good motor...

I'd venture to say one of the worlds best inline six's including the competition from overseas..(ie. BMW)

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
However the following two items are draw backs to me

"weighs 430 lbs. (195 kg)"
"15/19 MPG 2WD 14/18 MPG 4WD"
:agree

But... I really wish the Solstice had a 6-cylinder. I have never liked 4-bangers and wish it had a 6. I would rather the Solstice had a smooth 6 than a bigger trunk, but not at the expense of good handling. If the I4 provides better balance, then so be it. But this is a BIG compromise for me, because I don't like the roughness, lower torque and higher cruising RPMs typical of 4-cylinder engines. The big 2.4 liter size helps somewhat.

If the Solstice ever comes out with a 6-cylinder, I might be forced to trade up. That appeals to me more than FI.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If it is the oilpan to accomodate the drive axle, GM may be able to come up with a solution for the Sol.
Side oiler like the new Z06. Get rid of the oil pan all together. Great PR value!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh you mean a dry sump? It'll come with cost is the only problem.

I have always thought the 4.2 should be a base camaro motor also, what a coincidence!

·
Registered
81 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
just shooting the breeze but that 4.2 is one hell of a good motor...

I'd venture to say one of the worlds best inline six's including the competition from overseas..(ie. BMW)

I couldn't agree more. My experience with these engines is limited to a couple hundred miles each (rental GMC envoy in Alaska, Family member's BMW 330i), but the Vortec is an incredibly smooth, world-class engine with unreal torque delivery.

-Stephen M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts