Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do not make the same mistake I made a few days ago. I drove a 2006 Mercedes SLK280. WOW, push a button and the hardtop folds into the trunk, put it in first gear and go. Smooth thru all six gears with more power than I would ever need. Now I don't feel the same when I get in my 06 Sly. Only thing good about mine is the body style, puts the SLK280 to shame. At least I have that. My brother has the Mercedes so I get to drive it anytime so I guess I will be ok.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Thats cause you dont have a GXP!! If its power you wanted (or comparing it too) you should have gotten a GXP. My Mustang didnt have near the power of my GXP. And your comparing a $50k car to a $25k car....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You really don't want to drive an SLK 55 AMG then! ;)

Of the Porsche, MB, and BMW roadster trio, I'm still partial to the old M version of the Z3 myself. It's a kick to drive and hairy enough in the handling and comfort departments to make it a fun weekend car.

The great thing about the Solstice is that it competes with all of them, beats them in styling, and I could afford to buy it new instead of used.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I loved the power of my redline untill my uncle let me drive his ZR1! That car is stupid fast! It actually scared me at half throttle! But when he told me it cost him $111,000 I fell back in love with my Redline :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
221 Posts
There are plenty of aftermarket power adders available. Add as much as you can afford. Your solstice will out run anything with a comparable price tag. It already has them beat on styling.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
So I guess your next step is a Caddy?
I saw an XLR out on the road for the first time in a long while while out cruising around this weekend. They look maybe even hotter now than they did when first released. When I got back, I checked pricing on Edmunds and early ones are reasonable already!

If I ever have to replace my Solstice over the next few years, XLR is now on my short list if I can't find another good Sol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MY '06 Solstice has pretty good oomph with an upgraded ECM, dual exhaust kit, and a
"high performance" air intake. Of course it can't match the high priced roadsters but it didn't cost that much either. Would I like to have one the high priced rides? Oh yeah! But probably only in my next life.

John

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I prefer manual tops. I've had Cadillacs, Fords, BMW's, Volkswagens, and a couple other cars with automatic tops. Every single one has been an expensive problem. Most often when they break you have to keep them up. There goes the whole purpose of having a drop top. Nothing looks sadder than being out on a great day in Virginia, having my Solstice manual top down, and driving by someone with an automatic top stuck in the up position; the look on their face is one of heartbreak.

Ghost, even the base Solstice has enough get up and go for me. DOHC 173 hp at 5800 rpm, 0-60 in a little over seven seconds. That's about the same 0-60 as a Dodge or Plymouth patrol car had back when I was doing that kind of stuff. :lol:

I lived in a small town though, so of course they knew me and my Spitfire. Seems silly now. :dunno:

Also, the Solstice is really comfortable. I left Fort Lauderdale FL at 6:00 a.m., planning on taking two to three days to get home to Portsmouth VA (950 miles). The Solstice seats and the car are such a great cruise-all the way home in one day, and guess what, the back and legs felt fine in my driveway at 9:00 p.m.

Mercedes (and that year SLK in particular), have documented electrical problems, and balance shaft/ cam sensor problems; I just went through the water pump rain dance on my 08 Solstice. " The grass is always greener on the other side."

You have a great car there. It's fast. It looks good. It's both a guy and a chick magnet. Also, it's price point and brand makes people comfortable. On the way back from Lauderdale, 6:00 a.m. hotel parking lot, this guy was all over the car and asking questions, and no he was not homeless or broke; later that same day a well dressed woman walked right up to the Solstice in a highway rest area just to talk cars, and no she was not a "working girl."

There's something right about owning one of these cars. Keep it. Take care of it. Appreciate its beauty in the moment, and remember it is fairly rare and the Solstice will be worth something someday. There is already buzz about them having collector car status. For what it goes for now,I wouldn't mind having my old 67 Mustang Base today. That was not a high end car.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
My Sol is paid for,and more fun than anything with a payment! :yesnod: It is a toy after all. :thumbs:
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

AND the Mercedes will NEVER give you the permagrim, much less all the waves and comments.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I prefer manual tops. I've had Cadillacs, Fords, BMW's, Volkswagens, and a couple other cars with automatic tops. Every single one has been an expensive problem. Most often when they break you have to keep them up. There goes the whole purpose of having a drop top. Nothing looks sadder than being out on a great day in Virginia, having my Solstice manual top down, and driving by someone with an automatic top stuck in the up position; the look on their face is one of heartbreak.

Ghost, even the base Solstice has enough get up and go for me. DOHC 173 hp at 5800 rpm, 0-60 in a little over seven seconds. That's about the same 0-60 as a Dodge or Plymouth patrol car had back when I was doing that kind of stuff. :lol:

I lived in a small town though, so of course they knew me and my Spitfire. Seems silly now. :dunno:

Also, the Solstice is really comfortable. I left Fort Lauderdale FL at 6:00 a.m., planning on taking two to three days to get home to Portsmouth VA (950 miles). The Solstice seats and the car are such a great cruise-all the way home in one day, and guess what, the back and legs felt fine in my driveway at 9:00 p.m.

Mercedes (and that year SLK in particular), have documented electrical problems, and balance shaft/ cam sensor problems; I just went through the water pump rain dance on my 08 Solstice. " The grass is always greener on the other side."

You have a great car there. It's fast. It looks good. It's both a guy and a chick magnet. Also, it's price point and brand makes people comfortable. On the way back from Lauderdale, 6:00 a.m. hotel parking lot, this guy was all over the car and asking questions, and no he was not homeless or broke; later that same day a well dressed woman walked right up to the Solstice in a highway rest area just to talk cars, and no she was not a "working girl."

There's something right about owning one of these cars. Keep it. Take care of it. Appreciate its beauty in the moment, and remember it is fairly rare and the Solstice will be worth something someday. There is already buzz about them having collector car status. For what it goes for now,I wouldn't mind having my old 67 Mustang Base today. That was not a high end car.

VERY well stated!!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I bought an 06 NA without driving it and it wasn't ready so they let me borrow a GXP for a day. Failed to do my homework so I didn't realize the difference in power until I drove the 06 off the lot. Been looking for a GXP ever since. that power is very addictive. My top fits real good in the trunk and I can put it up / take it down in 10 sec so I can live without the auto. The Sol is way better looking and that's the only car I'm interested in at the moment. besides the Lotus Elice but don't have 50k lying around for a good used one. Luv your Sol and it will luv you back.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Very well stated! But for the record, I figured it was power he wanted!! LOL....as with most. I know I ALMOST bought a Boxster 9 years ago, I drove it....was nothing compared to my baby now. Instead of buying that Porsche 9 years ago.....I got married... :brentil: Let's just say, I should have bought the Porsche....I'd still have it! ;) (And my Solstice!!!!!!!!! :lol: )

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
You really don't want to drive an SLK 55 AMG then! ;)

Of the Porsche, MB, and BMW roadster trio, I'm still partial to the old M version of the Z3 myself. It's a kick to drive and hairy enough in the handling and comfort departments to make it a fun weekend car.
Man, the M-Shoe is still on the top of my list for a more practical car when that need comes around :cheers:

Those goofy lines and rear haunches just speak to me (even though it also suffers from the subframe issues of that generation).

·
Registered
199 Posts
My brother-in-law just got a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 which is essentially a rebadged SLK. It's supercharged and stock 330HP. A few mods and you're over 400.

Anyway, he knows how quick my GXP is and invited me over so we could, ummm, "compare".

His car would not start. And it's been a month and it still won't start. Apparently there is a known issue with some security module. He hasn't yet gotten a chance to get it towed to the dealer and have it fixed.

So yeah, I think I'll stick with my GXP with ONLY 300+ HP. :)

Bob

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
My brother-in-law just got a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 which is essentially a rebadged SLK. It's supercharged and stock 330HP. A few mods and you're over 400.

Anyway, he knows how quick my GXP is and invited me over so we could, ummm, "compare".

His car would not start. And it's been a month and it still won't start. Apparently there is a known issue with some security module. He hasn't yet gotten a chance to get it towed to the dealer and have it fixed.

So yeah, I think I'll stick with my GXP with ONLY 300+ HP. :)

Bob

The SRT6 only comes in an automatic. If you want a manual you need a non-supercharged one. One of my buddies bought one (he got it essentially new for about $20k when Chrysler was blowing them out) for canyon carving. Real nice car, but it say more luxurious and more cruiser than ours.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi there!

If I ever have to replace my Solstice over the next few years, XLR is now on my short list if I can't find another good Sol.
Interestingly, the original owner of my Solstice traded it in for an XLR :)

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
I have a couple of friends with SLK's and their biggest bitch is the maintenance everything has to be done at the dealership including oil changes at $120 a pop . They love the Solstice and the 1990 Miata I just sold . I have owned over 70 cars in my lifetime from hot rods , vettes ( I have a 81 ) muscle cars , luxury cars etc. and out of all of them the Solstice is the one I will never sell. My wife and I do the Woodward Dream Cruise and Back To The Bricks in Flint and I can't tell you how many compliments we get on the car . To each his own and mine is my Solstice!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The other day I pulled into a gas station the same time a newer Porsche Boxter did. While the driver was running inside for something, I couldn't help notice his attractive passenger was checking out my bright as the sun 07 MEAN GXP . When he left, a couple of guys approached with a couple of questions and the usual compliments about the Sol. On the way out it dawned on me how much attention little Sol gets on a regular basis and I wondered how many times Mr Porsche gets approached by friendly admirers for his 60K

1 - 20 of 20 Posts