Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Solstice Base. 28k miles

I bought it at a used car lot August 2012. CarFax says one other owner and it was a repo. I thought I read on here that I can take it to a dealer and have them do any recalls for free. Is that true? Are GM Dealers/Service cool with that? Is my drivetrain and motor covered until a certain mileage by GM even though I am the second owner?

The finance company "threw in" an extended warranty to 45 thousand or something like that. They said they threw it in, but after I signed the papers and I got over the Pontiac excitement of the car I had a chance to check the paperwork; they charged me a couple grand for it. It's my word against thiers, and I'm really not trying to get that money back or anything, I'm just wondering what (if anything), GM covers.

In truth, I only know of one recall for the 2008 and that is for the seat belt bolts.

2008 Pontiac Solstice Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
2008 Solstices had a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and a 5yr, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, both whichever comes first. They go with the car regardless of the number of owners, subject to owner abuse. Both run from the "in service" date.

Recalls are applied regardless of warranty status.

·
Registered
702 Posts

I bought it at a used car lot August 2012. CarFax says one other owner and it was a repo. I thought I read on here that I can take it to a dealer and have them do any recalls for free. Is that true? Are GM Dealers/Service cool with that? Is my drivetrain and motor covered until a certain mileage by GM even though I am the second owner?

The finance company "threw in" an extended warranty to 45 thousand or something like that. They said they threw it in, but after I signed the papers and I got over the Pontiac excitement of the car I had a chance to check the paperwork; they charged me a couple grand for it. It's my word against thiers, and I'm really not trying to get that money back or anything, I'm just wondering what (if anything), GM covers.
Yes, DaveOC"s response above is absolutely correct.

However, I'm a bit concerned about your extended warranty issue.

Two issues to be exact:

1) Broadly speaking, "Brand X" warranties are usually more difficult to cash in on compared to the GM extended warranty. This from a GM mechanic friend of mine that has seen grown men cry when told their Brand X warranty was no good.

2) If they told you it was free and then charged you two grand for it, I would demand my money back and go to your State Attorney General, as this is nothing but bare-faced fraud.

Just my :jm2c:

·
Registered
433 Posts

In truth, I only know of one recall for the 2008 and that is for the seat belt bolts.

2008 Pontiac Solstice Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine
Any work related to recalls and/or under GM warranties is covered by any Certifed GM Dealer authorized for Pontiac. Many Chevrolet Dealers are authorized to do such work. If you have an extended warranty and it's 3rd party, it is best to consult that company to see what's covered. The link below is a tool designed by GM to assist owners. You can check for possible recalls, dealer service transaction history, certain manuals, etc. Please consult a dealer if you're experiencing issues to see if they are covered by GM's vehicle warranties. Do contact us if you have any concerns. I hope you're having a good week.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Pontiac Owner Resources and Information | Pontiac

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Go to your local Chevy dealer and have them pull a maintenance history report. They should print it and hand it to you.

It will list important information
- In service date that starts the clock on your warranties
- All maintenance performed by a GM dealership including any recalls that have been applied

As part of this process you can get the ownership and warranty information on the car changed to you from the previous owner.

In my experience, you can take your third party warranty information to the dealer service manager and have him do the research to verify that it is recognized by GM for direct charge, or if you need to pay the bill and then to to the warranty company for reimbursement

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, DaveOC"s response above is absolutely correct.

However, I'm a bit concerned about your extended warranty issue.

Two issues to be exact:

1) Broadly speaking, "Brand X" warranties are usually more difficult to cash in on compared to the GM extended warranty. This from a GM mechanic friend of mine that has seen grown men cry when told their Brand X warranty was no good.

2) If they told you it was free and then charged you two grand for it, I would demand my money back and go to your State Attorney General, as this is nothing but bare-faced fraud.

Just my :jm2c:

I've pretty much accepted that the after market warranty is a loss. The salesman's exact words were, "The good thing about this finance company is you get an extended warranty with the purchase." In his defense, that does not exactly mean free, but that's what I took it to mean, and I should have checked the paperwork closer. My mistake, and I take full responsibility for it. :nopity:

I realize now the aftermarket warranty runs past the 35k of the GM so I feel better about it. :yesnod:

Of course, I realize that like any aftermarket warranty, once you try to get something done, they find a way to circumvent coverage. :leaving:

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any work related to recalls and/or under GM warranties is covered by any Certifed GM Dealer authorized for Pontiac. Many Chevrolet Dealers are authorized to do such work. If you have an extended warranty and it's 3rd party, it is best to consult that company to see what's covered. The link below is a tool designed by GM to assist owners. You can check for possible recalls, dealer service transaction history, certain manuals, etc. Please consult a dealer if you're experiencing issues to see if they are covered by GM's vehicle warranties. Do contact us if you have any concerns. I hope you're having a good week.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Pontiac Owner Resources and Information | Pontiac

Thanks Matt. Great stuff and very helpful.:yesnod:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks Matt. Great stuff and very helpful.:yesnod:
No problem. Please keep us posted if you any issues. If you're in the storm, stay dry. Have a great week!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts