Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I highly doubt we're talking the same sound here Shabby. Remember, I mentioned there are two distinct sounds for me. The one you mention - I really do not care about it and I can barely make it out. I have it - and I know it is completely natural and it is there whether on throttle or idle.

The one I am concerned with is significantly louder, and happens to come on when I start applying the throttle (after the engine is warmed up) - hence I am calling it the THROTTLE TICKING, as opposed to IDLE TICKING. For example it will go away when I completely back off the gas and coast and Comes back if I get back on the throttle. You get the idea.
Does anyone know if this was ever clarified cause our car appears to have this same issue and it wasn't there last fall only when the car reaches 190` or higher. If I shut it down for 20 min and fire it back up when its cooler ,that loud tick when under throttle isn't there. Oil is good at 85% left in life.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sound like what you are hearing is the high pressure pump. The GXP will make a ticking sound at idle. This is normal.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Could be a clutch throw out baring. They will sometimes click when they are warn out when the petal is out (clutch is engaged) but will stop clicking with light to full pressure on the clutch petal (clutch disengaging).

Could also be the timing chain tensioner, as the cam phasing changes the timing chain goes slack (highest valve overlap) if the tensioner isn't apply proper tension the chain will slap the chain guide. I've also seen this happen when the cams go from park (lowest over lap) to the highest over lap, causing chain backlash.

Or a bad injector or soon to fail HPFP... That would suck.

Also the throttle plate cycles open to close to control airflow even at idle, in the HPT forum there's a lot of threads about idle smoothing to clean this up. Really good MAF calibration and fuel/spark/cam tuning clears it up.

You need to figure out where the clicking is coming from.

--Christian

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.....I am aware of most of the ticking due to the injectors and so forth when cold but as mentioned in the quote this becomes more apparent when the engines is hot. If anyone has ever heard these..... it sounds like my Kawa Vulcan 1500 when its cold and the auto cam chain tensioner hasn't clicked onto the next level to keep the cam chain tight and the tappets are clicking away.
Unfortunately the car will be sitting again for little while due to the return of CRAPPY winter weather for the umpteenth time already:brentil: in order to look into this further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts