Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All! I have become a fan of Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash. Thought It could make an interesting thread.

First, I use it on a white vehicle, and it works very well, although I have a few tip below.

On my previous commuter, black, I had less success, it's not that it didn't work, just that it needed a little extra help spot drying it, or spots would show, but of course, black vehicles usually require extra attention.

I researched MR CLEAN Auto Dry on the net, and found some good forums. Many of the peolpe contributing were car nuts, and put it through rigorous testing, most liked the results, with some caveats. If you're interested, you might research it yourself.

My biggest tip on using it - DON'T use the washing gun for the soap. Put the soap in a bucket of water, the washing gun wastes the soap, and it's really more of a novelty for that use. The soap however is extremely powerful, I highly recommend it. The washing gun IS useful for the filter, which is the secret, it filters the water of impurities, especially important in areas (like mine) where hard water is the only legal option.

I rinse the car using the washing gun - no filter, then soap from the bucket using a washing glove, then rinse with the washing gun - with filter. let dry. a little spot drying of the windows helps.

Overall, I love not spending the 10-20 minutes drying the truck, love it - love it - love it. :smile

Let's heare what you all think, pros or cons, or other ideas for washing a vehicle - After all, we all want a spot free Solstice!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had wondered about this product and it's good to hear there is some truth to the claims that are made about it. The problem that I foresaw was that in areas of the country that have trees (read pine trees with lots of pollen) that a wet car in the spring would not have time to dry spotless before the pollen was stuck to it. I guess that's a small issue because the pollen is going to stick to it regardless. How long does the filter last?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chip said:
How long does the filter last?
I purchased a Mr. Clean AutoDry Carwash system last weekend and I love it, saves both work and time. After rinsing off the suds, the control knob is switched to the filter rinse position and you rinse the car again with a fine mist of de-ionized water that cascades over the vehicle like millions of tiny water balls, its hard to describe, but you can see it working. Its very hard to Resist the urge to towel off your car. If I remember correctly the filters only lasts five washes, and they are $5-$6 each. And just like RODEO said, the gun wastes the soap, it used up half a bottle on just one wash.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have not tried this new product yet, but your reviews make it sound intriguing. I may have to give it a try! Not sure if I would stick with it having to replace filters every few washes. I wash cars fairly frequently, and it could become expensive! But it might be nice to have even for occasional use, and to get a nice wash done quickly!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've heard lots of favorable comments, but don't like the idea of changing filters so often. I just use a squeegee and shammy and I also benefit from having a water softener / carbon filtration which helps.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Darkhamr said:
I just use a squeegee...
I've seen those things, but I always feared that they would scratch the paint or that I would do something ham fisted and wreck the finish by using it. Is it better than a synthetic shammy? There is just something about dragging a plastic blade across a car hood that strikes me as crazy! It works, does it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Chip said:
I've seen those things, but I always feared that they would scratch the paint or that I would do something ham fisted and wreck the finish by using it. Is it better than a synthetic shammy? There is just something about dragging a plastic blade across a car hood that strikes me as crazy! It works, does it?
Yeah, California water blade or whatever as dls mentioned. I felt the same as well, but it is a really soft rubber and I've seen guys with very expensive show cars use it so I decided to try it. I've had no problems what so ever with it. My car is silver though, so you would have to look pretty hard for any swirls, etc, but I've not seen any ill effects. I also follow it up with the synth shammy as the panels are not flat enough to get all the water off.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I’ve never used those water blades, but they are intriguing. My concern with them is that they would catch a piece of dirt or a pebble and drag it across the finish. I know, a terry towel or a chamois could do the same thing too, but those water blades just do not look natural. The key is always making sure you have a clean surface and to keep the car waxed. One thing is for certain, those water blades must be nice in cold temps to keep your hands dry!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I’ve never used those water blades, but they are intriguing. My concern with them is that they would catch a piece of dirt or a pebble and drag it across the finish. I know, a terry towel or a chamois could do the same thing too, but those water blades just do not look natural. The key is always making sure you have a clean surface and to keep the car waxed. One thing is for certain, those water blades must be nice in cold temps to keep your hands dry!
These water blades are the best.. and are usually made of pure silicone, so they won't scratch the finish, however if you drag a stone yes... you'll most likely scratch.

I haven't used the Mr. Clean thing simply because it costs more than it's worth to me. Use my normal hose and nozzle, and take 3 minutes to completly dry off my car with the blade and a good clean cloth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts