Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It just occurred to me that I might have a difficult time getting a Solstice / Sky off the street and onto my driveway because of the low hanging front fascia. There is a dip between the gutter and the driveway. I test drove an S2K and onto the driveway with fractions on an inch to spare. Also, what about speed bumps? To those that can get close to these cars at the various shows, please report back on their ground clearance. The pictures seem to indicate that the Sky has more ground clearance than does the Solstice, can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chip said:
The pictures seem to indicate that the Sky has more ground clearance than does the Solstice, can anyone confirm this?
I am not so sure about that.

If you lighten the picture of the Sky you can see that the ground clearance is further impaired by either the radiator or AC condenser hanging down below the bottom of the bumper. Check out the attached picture. That is very close to the ground. I would guess 3 inches!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
At least the Solstice and Sky have very little overhang front and rear, so unless the drive/bump is very high, the car should clear. It is pretty low though, and some people here are already talking about lowering it!! :crazy Not me!

·
Registered
753 Posts
i think gm reps stated that it is the lowest production car they have made. if i were designing a car this low, that black bit of plastic wouldn't be covering anything important that would break if it hit. maybe it's an early warning system?.... 'you are now within 1 inch of grinding your radiator on the asphalt'

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
cdb said:
i think gm reps stated that it is the lowest production car they have made.
In the video I have of them giving their speach they said lowest ground clearance car they currently have in production. Which more then likely it's just a bit shorter then a Corvette, so to get an idea of how it'll handle in these circumstances it's proabbly a good idea to talk to some C5/C6 owners.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its going to be low, but I doubt it will be significantly lower than a Corvette. I suspect it is a fraction of an inch lower, and hence their claim that it is the lowest car they make.ome driveways could be trouble. There is a black plastic strip that hangs down on my fiero, and I have rubbed that going into steep driveways.

I doubt the production cars will have a condensor that hangs down as far under the chassis as the one on that Sky. Thats just asking for big damage. They will keep all that stuff up above the chassis to protect it, and likely they will have a black plastic strip that hangs down.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Driving a Vette isn't that big of a deal, the shorter over hangs definetly will help. You all will have to learn how to take everything at an angle. It's no big deal, anybody with a real sports car has had to learn how to deal with it.
Remember to tell your wife/girlfriend about it before she takes your car! :lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts